Seeing cries for "free housing for all"

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Dan Donoghue, 2nd May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Bit of a change in tune from "wasting life" in doing what they want..

The scenario you presented in your earlier post of spending all of your 20's investing, is not exactly living in my opinion. If you think that's the correct way, a sustainable way, and how all younger generations should do it, the economy would go down the toilet because smashed avo wouldn't be eaten and there'd be disproportionate number of rental properties with not enough renters.

Imo, it's fine for DINKS to spend most of their 20's living. It only takes 12 months of hard saving to buy an affordable home in Brisbane/Adelaide. Meanwhile the economy keeps ticking on.

2. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

This.

The value of my portfolio only just eclipses the value of the knowledge I've accumulated along the way. Just.

Dan Donoghue and hammer like this.
  3. evalord

evalord Well-Known Member

Depends on city. $40k aud in countryside buys a two storey mansion. $40k in shanghai buys 1m2 of upmarket apartment in a good area.

Jennifer Duke likes this.
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

hmmm 'gimmedat culture'... that's a good way of putting it. Would you agree these fall under the same banner (those who support such a system)?

Investors who want to keep profit from land value increases resulting from public infrastructure spend.
    Banks / finance institutions holding a private monopoly on money creation.
    ADIs backstopped by taxpayers with deposit / wholesale lending guarantees.

5. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

These Investors, Banks and ADI's will find another way to make money when the rules change.

I think that's the point - if there's a will there's a way. The criticism here is mainly about those that have no will.

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
  6. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Are these the same whingers l see on their nice new mobile phone in one hand and a $4.50 coffee/energy drink in the other ?

Look in a young persons trolley when next at the suppermarket o_O
    More than just 2min noodles, vegimite and bread in there :rolleyes:
    "But l'm broke and so poor" :confused:
    It is the difference between being a consumer V's getting by/ahead :eek:

kierank, WestOz and Dan Donoghue like this.
  7. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

I like dat kulture!

8. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

I wasted everything I had in my 20's and lived a carefree life but I never blamed anyone but myself.

In my 30's I started living to a budget and by mid 30's bought a PPOR (not an investment decision in fact it was a snap decision because I got served up an advert online about 100% home loans and a $24K Govt grant).

In my 40's I am building a portfolio.

In my 50's (probably mid to late), I am planning to live like I am 20 again, not so much wasting but that carefree life :).

In all reality, I never did anything to change my financial future until I got sick. I get that it's not on most people's minds and it's usually because they just don't know about it, a smart young man once told me "You don't know what you don't know" but in all my time when others were being more successful than me or getting more assets behind them, I never once complained about what they had and what I didn't, in fact quite the opposite, I was genuinely happy for them.

This is the key thing that annoys me nowadays, there is no more "Good on ya mate, you did well", now it's just "Hey that's not fair, I want that given to me!!!". I suppose you could say that the modern day eternal renters are very unaustralian ;).

Ted Varrick, Sannie, Toon and 5 others like this.
  9. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

It's not entirely their fault. Marketers make new phones, Premium Himalayan pink rock salt with truffle extract, earth friendly soy lattes too appealing to pass up.

Fun fact: for every 4
    $100 in online advertising from a telco who shall remain nameless, we get someone committing to a 24 mth contract that brings in $2000+ over its lifetime (less if its not an iFruit or Samsung firecracker). Money multiplier for sure.

It must be tough for them to break from social expectations and smartly targeted ads/content and spend less on "gimme gimmes".

10. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

So people want free housing for all.

How much free housing have these people who are complaining actually created? How many properties have they purchased and made them available to people rent free?

FB posts demanding that other people/ governments should do it don't work. Only action works. If you believe in something, back it up by being the first to lead the way.

Otherwise it's just whinging and noise!

Ted Varrick, Dan Donoghue and gman65 like this.
  11. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Just before they pull out in their brand new mazda3 / hilux / etc.. but I digress, its pretty easy to get carried away on a keyboard no matter which side of the fence you're on.

For many they are always going to struggle to buy their own home, and I don't think mucking around with the rules is going to change much.. There have always been those with low incomes that have had to rent for their entire life, and have been frustrated with their lot in life, and there always will be. As mentioned by the OP, its just now more of these people have a public voice through social media. Most of the media is simply drawing from that, so it gets more attention.

Rentals/leasing in many cities of the world is just the norm, no matter what your social status.

Last edited: 3rd May, 2017
    Stoffo likes this.
  12. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

My education was poor, not encouraged, left as soon as I was old enough.
    My interest in property, owning my own, having others pay me rent to pay off others etc, was mostly developed from playing Monopoly as a kid, every kid had that available, even if playing at a friends.

Angel likes this.
  13. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Imagine how affordable everything could be if the advertising budget was removed from the actual cost :rolleyes:

Even houses would be more "affordable" :p

Maybe l am still being frugal and going without :oops:

14. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Kieran, absolutely spot on.

TV

kierank likes this.
  15. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

I kind of like the idea of free housing for all. It's a nice thing to do

16. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

It's a bit like communism.....awesome idea in theory, has a few...er...faults in practice....

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  17. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Hey, where is the line?

I am sick to death of depoits plus costs and then lumped with a loan to repay, this life sucks.

We are a country of opportunity still. Some will never see the forest for all the trees blocking the view. Still plenty of affordable living in Syd right now, all this is simply BS cause the will turn the nose up at location or type of housing.

They believe it is a right to live 5 mins from a CBD workplace, or Eastern suburbs beaches. It is not nor ever has been.

Ted Varrick and SeafordSunshine like this.
  18. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Same place as always, on the toilet cistern.

19. Jennifer Duke

Jennifer Duke Well-Known Member

Absolutely - outlook is a huge thing.

I wonder whether that's nature or nurture though.

If you're brought up being told to expect the world to give you everything, anticipating it will all fall into place as a birth right, surely it's more difficult to accept a reality that involves you working and fighting for the future you want.

It's those people who think everything should fall into their laps without lifting a finger that are often the loudest voices.

SeafordSunshine, Perthguy and kierank like this.
  20. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

If we have a large war in Asia that will sort it all out, this brings perspective and appreciation of health, freedom and a full belly in comfort.