Health & Family seeing a Psychologist?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 3rd Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. matchsticks

matchsticks Active Member

Labelling can be divisive or even contentious. Labelling can sometimes determine the modality and type of treatment an individual is eligible for. In general, I've found that this can be tricky and is sometimes a double-edge sword.

I've worked in psychiatric wards where patients are "relieved", some overjoyed almost, when they are finally "diagnosed"/"labelled" because they have journeyed through life not understanding the reasons they process information or behave differently from others. For some, the realisation/understanding of why they are different supersedes the potential social stigma or the challenges ahead of them.

Similarly, there are those at the other end who would "hide" behind their labels. I've met people who would say I can't do X because I have Y and this is how they intend to live the rest of their lives. The issue here is, sometimes, the reason they can't do X has no bearing or association to Y. Giving someone a "label" is an unenviable task and sometimes it is far easier to treat or focus on the symptoms than it is to treat the label.

BigKahuna and Esel like this.