Health & Family seeing a Psychologist?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 3rd Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

It maybe ok working in happiness daily etc but what about when things go wrong, then you need resilience in your life.

Sometimes your in track with everything and some B or thing comes along and stuffs it all up !!
    It could be Job related , it could be health related etc but something comes along and gives you a challenge .

It could be a boss or irganisation moving you to a new site or Suburb to work, thsts a challenge for sime people.
    It could be a sickness that started, thats a big challenge.

2. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Oh please, dont play innocent. You came on here and rubbished a whole profession that people dedicate their lives to in order to help others, and then you condecend to everyone who doesnt agree with you.

Do you not see the condescension in what you write? Or the flat out arrogance?

"The above may be a bit high gradient for a lot of people"

"There are other ways you could have helped the child. Truly inderstanding the human mind would enable you to just see where that child was at"

"I've studied a bit of traditional psychology - it's a view point that focuses on studying mental illnesses, trauma and things that can go wrong.
    I'm not entirely convinced that it's helpful"

"You don't need a textbook for all of this you just need to really understand people and this is where I'm coming from."

"2340 said: ↑
    Your opinion is contradicted by thousands of studies.

Xenia replied: I know

My view point is just as valid As anyone else's"

"for those who get it - no explanation is required, for those who don't, no explanation can ever be possible"

You can not be arrogant and expect people not to challenge you. You claimed you knew better than everyone else and now you are acting all surprised that people are challenging your claim? What did you expect would happen?

You seem EXACTLY like the religious fundamentalists who rubbish their incorrect interpretation of science and arrogantly proclaim their religion as better than everything else and then act the innoccent victim when their arrogant proclamations get questioned. "Why are you criticising my personal beliefs, I have the right to believe whatever i want".

No just because you believe something doesnt mean it is above questioning. Especially when you put forward your beliefs with such arrogance.

If youve found something helpful then great. Share it. Just dont rubbish a whole field, that is there to help people, with sweeping generalizations. Maybe your "behaviour of success" belief system doesnt accommodate primitive notions such as humility. But a pinch of it goes a long way.

The interesting thing is, your viewpoint sees no worth in psychology. However everything you shared is seen as having value within psychology already. It has its place. And it has its time.

It seems like there is nothing that will convince you of this as you wouldnt answer my question earlier asking what sort of proof you would require. So Ill treat this as I treat all conversations with a fundamentalist and give up and walk away.

Last edited by a moderator: 3rd Oct, 2021
    Jkat, S.T, Westminster and 13 others like this.
  3. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

You are entitled to that view point.

Beanie Girl likes this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Tim86, I did the same, rubbish the industry apologies, and am sure there are great people out there, I guess I was really coming from my own personal experience.

MTR

BigKahuna, Beanie Girl and Xenia like this.
  5. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Beanie proved to be an example of a well balanced person and she is a psychologist - hats off to you kid, you are awesome.

6. Beanie Girl

Beanie Girl Well-Known Member

Tim, Greyghost and Sanj, as I mentioned in passing and Perth Guy has experienced, there are 'good' psychologists/psychiatrists and there are 'bad' psychologists/psychiatrists just as there are good and bad in every profession. Unfortunately, Xenia, MTR and Perth Guy have experienced the 'bad' variants and they are just sharing their viewpoint. I don't think Xenia, MTR or Perth Guy are rubbishing the whole profession. Humanity existed and thrived before the professions psychologists and psychiatrists came along. How did they do that? Elderly wise relatives, priests, trusted elders in the village played that role. Now that society is so fragemented and mostly nuclear and disbelieving in religion, 'psychologists' and 'psychiatrists' have sprung up and taken that role.

Xenia and BigKahuna like this.
  7. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Xenia, hope you dont mind me asking, but what do you do all day?

Seems you spend a heck of a lot of time putting your various viewpoints across on this forum and then defending them when someone disagrees.
    Are you not confident of your convictions, enough to put your view forward and leave it at that?

With respect, I do happen to agree with Tim, you do come across as a bit know it all and quite arrogant at the same time. Not all the time but a fair bit. Tims quoted examples in just this thread alone are testament to that.
    Dare I suggest, maybe a visit to a psychologist might help with the insecurity bit ?
    Just a suggestion as there does look to be something missing in your online life as I and some others see it.

Some of your property management skills are appreciated on here by many along with other investing ideas etc, but sometimes it's better to pause before hitting the submit button.
    I know I am about to with this post, but I feel it too important to hold back.

Of course, Im not expert so if Im totally wrong in your view then please disregard this post, Im only trying to help.

S.T, turk and geoffw like this.
  8. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Well-Known Member

Yes, I've done acceptance and commitment therapy Darlinghurstboy. Are you thinking of doing it?

I do believe Xenia's point of view is just as valid as anybody else's on this subject. She's not meting out advice and professing to be a psychologist; she's simply saying that in her experiences she's been able to overcome challenges--whether it's her resilience, whether she has no genetic predisposition to depression, whether she has the skill to self-soothe, or whether she has good coping mechanisms.

Some of us have more resilience than others; we're all different. It's a combination of genetics and life experiences. Someone may be born with a genetic predisposition towards depression but never encounter a trauma in his/her life and never develop the illness. Put together a genetic predisposition and a few hard knocks, and you've got depression. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

I personally believe that CBT should be taught at schools. Some people learn good emotional skills growing up, some don't. CBT & DBT breaks it all down for people and can give you an objective opinion on your emotions. It's a meeting of the wise and rational mind. Mindfulness is another skill that is extremely useful.

You can't judge anyone. Noone knows what goes on in people's personal lives. Xenia is simply speaking from her experience.

Last edited: 4th Dec, 2015
    MTR and Beanie Girl like this.
  9. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I find it strange that somebody who has studied and worked in science can come into psychology and consciously throw out everything which has come before, on the basis of a few experiences.

I get an impression that for yourself, a well balanced personality is one which puts the pursuit of wealth above everything else, and this is why traditional psychology doesn't work for you- it places more of an emphasis on other things instead.

S.T, sanj and Phar Lap like this.
  10. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Thanks @Beanie Girl. You are right. I'm not rubbishing the whole profession because I have seen good results with myself and some other people. I wouldn't defend the whole profession either because I have seen too many people damaged by bad Psychologists.

That's ironic that you say that because one person close to me saw a psychologist because of his experiences with an organised religion. I do agree with you in general though. That saying "it takes a village to raise a child" has a lot of merit.

inertia, BigKahuna and Beanie Girl like this.
  11. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Sometimes music helps,.

12. Beanie Girl

@Perthguy thanks, yes, I have seen too many people damaged by 'bad' psychologists and 'bad' psychiatrists too.
    Even a 'good' psychologist can be labelled 'ineffective' if the client just doesn't gel with the therapies the psychologist is recommending in treatment.. ..
    Psychology in the realm of 'counselling' and various therapies is not an exact science.
    The only place where psychology is an exact science is in the field of creating testing instruments - WAIS-R, Ravens Matrices

EN710, sanj, BigKahuna and 2 others like this.
  13. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

I have the upmost respect for psychologists and psychiatrists. Basically anyone in the medical profession, caring and helping others.

S.T, D.T., Patamea and 2 others like this.
  14. 7smurfs

7smurfs Member

Bit of both! Mine went for about 10-11 months and I sure felt the same way in that you have to be a bit crazy yourself to be in the psy game!

Big positive was how much more aware I felt after that relationship and it sharpened by relationship skills from being in a constant mental power struggle for the entire time!

15. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Same here. A really good friend is a psychologist (I didn't know you're one too @Beanie Girl ;)) - sometimes the counselling and treatment works, sometimes they don't. Doesn't make the job any easier. From her story, it can get pretty damn hard and depressing that I wonder who will be her psychologist o_O.

Beanie Girl and MTR like this.
  16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Hope she has some good friends.

I reckon I have been a psychologist to my friends many times.

I started a thread on "why don't we just listen", in part it was about this sort of...... people needing people to just listen to their problem/s, they don't need us to save them, they just need someone to be there and support them. As humans we always have to place our own spin on it, our way, how we think it should be done.

MTR:)

17. Jkat

Jkat Well-Known Member

I have seen a psychologist many times throughout my life. It is also part of my professional practice that I see a psychologist/social worker once a month.

I find counselling particularly helpful as long as you have the right person. It is important to find someone you feel comfortable with. There are so many different types of practitioners that it is important to find one that you click with.

I am social worker trained and have further study in family therapy and have worked as a family therapist. I have seen meaningful changes happen in families after they have attended sessions.

Ezzo, BigKahuna, Beanie Girl and 2 others like this.
  18. Jkat

Jkat Well-Known Member

To answer your questions MTR -- some people do just listen. They tend to be people with a more developed emotional quotient.

Problem solving can be helpful -- but only if done correctly. Before the problem solving can happen there needs to be a feeling of being listened to and heard. That is done by empathy and validation.

19. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Appreciate that MTR. Honestly I work my butt off and work with 150 counsellors, most with psychology qualifications or social work qualifications, and they all work their butts off too. So some of the stuff people wrote did push a few buttons. But I get over things pretty quickly :p

When I work with client's I'll have my psychological framework in the back of my head (CBT, REBT, ACT, DBT, etc...), but what I do doesn't come off as a psychological intervention. A lot of it is just listening and validating that "Oh boy things seem really difficult right now" and exploring how they are coping. The idea that you can't focus on the negative is a massive mistake. You lose rapport with clients doing it really tough really quickly with that sort of attitude. If you have someone ring up suicidal because they have: depression, or they are being bullied, or whatever and you don't take the time to meet them where they are at, and validate and explore what difficult stuff they are experiencing...and instead jump straight to "the behaviour of success", you are going to have that client feel like you just don't get it, because you didn't spend the time with them to "get it".

There are presentations where you rely heavily on psychological intervention. For example with PTSD. It just doesn't make sense without the neuropsychological background where you understand that the flashbacks are due to trauma being incorrectly processed by the brain. So the amygdala puts too much of an emotional weight on the trauma so that the hippocampus can't log the events into long term memory so the events stay in the forebrain which causes the vivid sensation of the flashback as if it is still happening right then and there, rather than a normal recollection of the events that would be had if the memories were stored properly. Without that informing your intervention you wouldn't know that the trauma needs to be explored and the overwhelming meaning behind the trauma needs to be broken down into chunks that are able to be processed correctly, etc...

Throw in psychological research around Aspergers and Austism. Without understanding the social implications of these conditions you would not be able to adequately understand and support the client. You might expect the client to form emotional bonds with friends which are just beyond their scope.

Or without understanding disorders such as OCD and depression you wouldn't realise the support needs to take into consideration compulsions and states of anxiety that result in intense discomfort for the client.

Or without understanding the effects of dissociative disorders you wouldn't know how to adjust your approach to take into consideration the easily overwhelmed and easily disengaged nature of the clients you are talking to.

Or without understanding the implications of personality disorders such as borderline personality disorder, you may not pay enough heed to boundaries and then have a client over reliant on you which in turn damages the clients self-reliance and emotional resilience. Even down to understanding process issues around why a client is telling you what they are telling you. Is it so that you are prompted to say nice things about them and fulfil their needs in unhealthy ways, or is it in fact in an effort to tackle genuine problems that they are working toward fixing.

Etc... etc... etc... etc...

Massive massive psychological background to supporting the clients I speak with, however it all just plays out like a supportive genuine aussie chat. But if you don't know the psychology behind a heck of a lot of presentations then you simply aren't going to support that person as effectively as you could.

Phar Lap, Jkat, turk and 7 others like this.
  20. Beanie Girl

I have all the disorders you mention, @Tim86 :p
    PTSD, depression, anxiety but particularly OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)
    I just can't stop checking Property Chat for interesting or new posts! :eek:
    can you help me please? :confused:

By the way, @Tim86 I respect you tremendously for the work you do. Ladies and gentlemen, this young man is brilliant at what he does. I've been following him since Somersoft days.

BigKahuna and EN710 like this.