Health & Family seeing a Psychologist?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 3rd Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

A Psychologist is different from a Psychiatrist .
    A Psychologist is not an actuall Doctor as such and deals with more areas such as Counselling , etc whilst a Psychiatrist is more medication basesd.

But I was talking to a Psychologist rece recently who was telling me she is booked out over xmas due to people arriving worried they were losing their jobs and anxiety etc.

But Psychologists can also be used for life motivation , or getting back on track with your life, changing your life etc.

I suppose its a bit like a life coach except Psychologists are university trained.
    Under Medicare you can get 10 discount visits per year .

I did see a few Psychologists but feel you need to find the right one for whatever area your looking to improve.

I use to have these depressive episodes in my life until i found out what was causing it was actually sleep apnea and. Not real depression.

2. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I've studied a bit of traditional psychology - it's a view point that focuses on studying mental illnesses, trauma and things that can go wrong.
    I'm not entirely convinced that it's helpful

You can never truly understand what light is by examining the dark.

What I have found truly helpful and empowering is studying the behavior of success, human emotional drivers, motivation, self actualisation. I've been studying the human mind from this perspective for the last 20 years and have written books on it. Driving people towards a purpose or a goal and getting them to look inwards for answers is sometimes more powerful than telling them about all of the things that have gone wrong for them.

No medicare won't fund things that motivate humans - because it works.

Property Twins and MTR like this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

ok Xenia think I am with you and agree, it's like not letting go of the past, am I right!. you can not move forward

people should be focussing on purpose and goals moving forward

Xenia likes this.
  4. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Only an individual can make a change within themselves and when a person does finally take responsibility and embarks a journey of self development, sometimes they have to undo the damage done by traditional psychology.

I read something once that said, people who use traditional medicine need to heal twice, once from the illness they had and secondly from the effect of the pharmaceutical drugs they were using.

Same with the effects of psychology, or NLP or hypnotherapy, all of these things that work on suggestions and adding programs to the human psyche can do more damage than good and at some point will need to be undone. They make people less aware not more aware.

I'm not saying people shouldn't take pharma drugs or use psychology, in fact I do not use the words "people should" for anything - it implies that I have some say on what choices other people make and I don't, neither does anyone else. Just stating one view point that at this stage of my life, works for me.

Beanie Girl and Property Twins like this.
  5. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

The above may be a bit high gradient for a lot of people, @Leo2413 - may need you to comment on it another way - you will get this.

@Simon Hampel - watch this space ;)

6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Surely psychology can be akin to working on your mindset, self development?

I studied a major in Psychology at university and it's not about dwelling on your past. Whilst sometimes you do need to 'confront' things that have happened it is more about finding ways to accept what has happened and working on pathways to move forward from that. It extremely forward focussed not past focussed.

See Change likes this.
  7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Hi @Xenia :)

I just read through the thread. .but I'm not sure what your asking me to comment on..

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Your opinion is contradicted by thousands of studies.

You may as well study "a bit of first aid", work out that you don't need the course to bandage a small cut so why not dismiss the helpfulness of the entire medical profession... surgeons and all.

It is true that some people may be able to look inward, read some positive books and move through a tough time in their life, but other people who've experienced a lifetime of trauma and developed unhealthy behaviors and coping methods may need a psychologist to help them see and understand this.

I hope you are not spreading these views with people who do actually need help.

HUGH72, Fargo, Greyghost and 11 others like this.
  9. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

For some people it may be the only way,plus i talk to a Psychologist every morning driving into the cbd,and what my daughter has taught me there is a time to be a good listener and a time to walk away,and people worry about things that never will happen, live each day as it comes.

Last edited: 3rd Dec, 2015
    Beanie Girl likes this.
  10. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I know

My view point is just as valid As anyone else's.

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
  11. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

for those who get it - no explanation is required, for those who don't, no explanation can ever be possible

12. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

I don't agree.

Take my very last client for example. Little kid rings me to talk about being stressed and worried because her mum was throwing up all night because she is about to die from cancer. Do I spend the session focusing on the "behavior of success"?

Everything has it's place.

I do agree that many times people with mental health really need to fill their days with more motivating activities, as just doing nothing gives them space to dwell and doubt.

But that's not in all cases. And not at all stages.

Finding something that works for you doesn't negate the value of the things that didn't work for you. It's like going to an oncologist only to discover that you really needed a physiotherapist, and then saying that oncology is useless.

Focusing on the negative and what is wrong is all part of the process, however I do agree that eventually there is a stage where the focus needs to shift to change and future successes.

radson, samiam, Greyghost and 11 others like this.
  13. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

One thing I will say about psychologists. Is that I HATE the one's who have a patronizing tone. I've had a supervisor give me that tone before when I was upset because my dog died, and I just wanted to tell him to shut up.

I did my psych sci degree but didn't both with the extra 2 years to get registered. Landed an awesome job counselling kids and haven't felt any desire to get the title of "psychologist".

BigKahuna likes this.
  14. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Whatever helps helps Tim

There are other ways you could have helped the child. Truly inderstanding the human mind would enable you to just see where that child was at, what decisions were made in that moment and whether those decisions will be acted on in the future.

You could help her to see what was fear and what was real and decipher the difference. You don't need a textbook for all of this you just need to really understand people and this is where I'm coming from.

15. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Xenia

where does one start ....

Sounds like a load of new age ........ to me

A good psychologist can change someones life . I've seen it many times , if not every week , at least every month.

People need to be motivated to change , but knowing you need to change , doesn't give you the skill sets to know what and how to change .

Letting someone work it out for themselves , would be akin to tell someone that " property investing " is a good way to make money , but then giving them no access to any information , no property chat , no PM's , no brokers .

Some people would succeed , but many would end up in a load of pain and suffering , actually going backwards .

As this post is about psychology ( though you raised the topic of medicines ) I won't go into a long anti alternative medicine rant , but I'll just mention that in the last two weeks I've seen over 10 people with Whooping cough , because of the new age antivaccine movement that goes along with much of the alternative medicine movement , and is quite prevalent on sydney's northern beaches . Children die from this preventable disease because people like to cast aspersions on scientifically proven treatments . I'm not aware of a cure for death . Are you ?

Cliff

16. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Sorry did I not make it clear that I was not talking about the entire 7 billion people in the society and what they should do I actually hate the word should.

I'm talking about a viewpoint that I find helpful to me right now, maybe not next week, but right now this is just what is working for me.

I'm not here to debate what other people should and shouldn't do so by all means feel good about using a psychologist.

17. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Please know that I am not specifically having a go at you, but this statement in general is incorrect. To go back to some other recent threads, is the view point of an anti-vaxer valid? Is a member of the KKK's view on racism valid? Yes, everyone is entitled to have a view point (ignoring for a moment that there is no such thing as freedom of speech in Australia), but they are not entitled to be respected if their "view" is factually wrong. The thing about views or opinions is that people can hold them in spite of any logic or fact.

My view on how to deal with terrorism is less valid than the view of a terrorism expert. My view on which mountain bike is most appropriate for a person is way more valid than most people walking down the street.

Cheers,
    Inertia

18. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

The OP was to discuss benefits of using a psychologist in a "general nature", the thread is not about you. I think you've missed the mark on this one.

Their services are to help people through situations or issues, once they get through that they can then move on to the next step. Tim and see Change both covered that clearly.

Ozzie in Texas and S.T like this.
  19. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

To be fair - get a bunch of mountain bike experts together and they will never agree on which bike is best :p

20. 158

158 Well-Known Member

You don't need to be a mountain bike expert to ride one either! :cool:

pinkboy

inertia likes this.