Security light not working

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Burramys, 24th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

About six months ago I had new lights and power points installed in my PPOR. The work was done by a licensed electrician and was certified. There are about six sensor security lights, one of which has now ceased to work. This light is immediately above the switch box, hard wired, under the porch well out of the weather.

It's a very simple wiring job for a sparky, so that should not be a problem. I've put lights that are known to work in the fixture that does not work, no light. The adjustments have been moved, still no light.

Hence, on balance of probability it seems that the fixture is bust, perhaps the sensor. Under Australian Consumer Law the trader that sold me the fixture has to replace the fixture if it is bust. The problem is that this will take two visits by a sparky, one to disconnect the fixture, which I then take to the shop, and one to install the new fixture. It could be $200 or more. Or I may be able to buy a fixture and have it installed, then return the old one for a refund.

Does the trader have to pay for the cost of the sparky? Any further comments would be valued. TIA.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I had one fail a while back, called the sparky out to check ;), then contacted the retailer. Retailer sent their sparky out who checked the fitting (again), then replaced it. Hasn't missed a beat since.

3. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'll see what the trader says.