TAS Security, leaving windows open

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Ellen, 14th Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
?

Can I require the tenant to keep the place secure when she's out ?

1. Yes, put it in writing.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, it's her choice. She will be liable for loss and damage.

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. No and she can't be held liable. You're the landlord you have to wear it.

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Ellen

Ellen Member

Hi. I'm fairly new to property management. Our tenant leaves the windows wide open when she is out at work all day (ground floor). I'm really concerned from a security point of view - it's a furnished apartment adjoining ours. Theoretically you could break through from her apartment to ours and certainly cause damage to our property (that she lives in) that wouldn't be insured if not locked.

Has anyone else had this situation ? We have asked her to lock up when she goes out and explained that it will invalidate insurance.
    I'm not sure if we can require her to use minimum security standards or if she can chose to leave things unlocked. Presumably she will be liable for damage to our property if it is broken into.
    Advice appreciated.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Is it in a security block? ie gated electronic/key entry to building?

Is the unit on the ground floor or easily accessed?

If you didn't live next door, would you have known?

3. iloveqld

iloveqld Well-Known Member

crimsafe?

4. Ellen

Ellen Member

Hi Scott, ground floor, easy access, viewed from road. Not secure gated.
    If I walked past I could see. I actually first noticed when doing work for the tenant, accessing the apartment.

5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

If it bothers you, install security grilles, shutters or screens on the windows.

A tenant is entitled to “quiet enjoyment” of the property. Having the landlord check on whether or not they are closing windows seems intrusive.

willair and wylie like this.
  6. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Its perhaps possible, but its a very big maybe. Depends on the circumstances of what happens exactly.

Otherwise you can politely ask but not force the tenant to close their windows.

7. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I'm a little uncertain, is it your tenant leaving the windows open or is it the neighbour?

If it's the neighbour, you probably can't do much directly, although you could go through the strata corporation.

8. Ellen

Ellen Member

Hi Marg. We live in the same house, apartments at either end. My entrance is past her windows.I'm very wary of giving as much privacy as possible given those circumstances.
    I wish I could not know.

9. Ellen

Ellen Member

Hi Peter. It's the tenant, who is also a neighbour. We live at 2 ends of one house.

10. Ellen

Ellen Member

Our tenant leaves the windows wide open when she is out at work all day (ground floor). I'm really concerned from a security point of view - it's a furnished apartment adjoining ours. Theoretically you could break through from her apartment to ours and certainly cause damage to our property (that she lives in) that wouldn't be insured if not locked.

I can't seem to edit the original post - for clarification - One house has been made into two apartments, shared outdoor space. Our access is past the tenants entrance and windows.
    It might be better if I didn't know but I am concerned about both my property being more liable to break-in and that she will be liable for (and unable to afford) uninsured damage in the event of a "break-in" (as a burglar would not have to break in).[/QUOTE]

11. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

Install security bars on the windows and up her rent?

12. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

[/QUOTE]
    Can you explain how the property you live is affected? It seems like a long bow to me...

13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'd be wary of any house which has been separated into two units with a plasterboard wall as fire separation may not be compliant voiding any insurance.

willair likes this.
  14. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Is Ellen (the OP) suggesting that a burglar is going to break into the next door unit and then cut through the shared wall into her place?

Not a chance, Ellen. Unless the two unit’s are only separated by an internal glass door?

A burglar would break one of your windows (rather than bring along a power saw to cut through a wall) if they wanted to break into your place.

In fact, it might be less expensive for you if a burglar does go through the next door unit”s open window as you won’t need to pay to repair a broken window.

Tenants need to have their own contents insurance if they want theIr contents covered. But that’s a private matter for them.

Last edited: 15th Jul, 2020
    wylie likes this.
  15. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Maybe just ring up the company who you have landlord insurance with and ask the question ,never any good over-thinking the process as it will do your head in..

16. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Good point. Wonder if @Sharon Fox-Slater has any views?

The Y-man

17. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

@Ellen Come back, I'm waiting to read what your insurance company says.

Marg4000 likes this.