Security grilles/screens - QLDer PPOR

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Bran, 8th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Can anyone recommend window security sympathetic to a 1920s QLDer?

We wish to move the kids downstairs, but the windows are far from secure. We have concerns about not having fire escape type grilles.

We are getting a quote for crimsafe, and we have crimsafe on other windows upstairs. I am concerned about the potential loss of light - a loss may make our downstairs rooms very dark.

A steel company on google looks like a good alternative, with fire escape options available, but I'm looking for ideas/photos/company recommendations.

Thanks!

2. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

Whats the company @Bran?. I just started another thread about CrimSafe, we had a bad experience with their supplier and don't want to deal with them again.

3. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

You can have screens made up with or without the grills, light, tinted, one way etc.

As for fire exit, get them made with hinges on one side, a couple of quick latches on the other.
    (Like a screen door but on a window, without anything visible on the outside to give it away that its anything other than a window fly screen)

Bran and WattleIdo like this.
  4. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

I bought a security door from Bunnings without the grill, it flicked in and out constantly and I took it back after a day. Any suggestions on suppliers?

5. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Yea Nah, Hardware store brands are very thin framed (crap).
    I know it sux what the pro's charge but for a PPOR that's one of very few things I'll leave to the licenced professionals to do for me.

I'd check your/the local classifieds, or drive through the local LIA, bound to see a few signs for them.

6. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

@WestOz - are you referring to the crimsafe or the steel grille style?

7. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Vincent's Security my wife tells me

Baymore has a good website, and I like the idea of fire grille steel bars. Most of the houses in the area have this sort of thing. I have bars on one window in my bedroom, and crimsafe on the other so there is no real consistency. I like the mosquito proof possibility also

Tim & Chrissy likes this.
  8. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Well crimsafe "type", but not them.
    I personally don't like (wouldn't recommend) grills, consider it a weakness (so do crims) something to grab hold of, collect dust & webs etc, more pop rivets (holes) required, weakens structure, corrodes....

Without inspection its difficult to see what you are, best to get a few local owner operators out (sml businesses), throw some ideas, get quotes.

9. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I think perhaps I'm confusing the terms.

Contemplating crimsafe type vs steel bars. Like this for the latter. I definitely don't want the diamond type grilles Screen Shot 2016-03-08 at 9.50.50 pm.png Screen Shot 2016-03-08 at 9.50.58 pm.png

10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I've put a photo of our bathroom metal louvre in the other thread, and will try to find a photo showing them more open. We've got these on our french doors too, so all summer we get breezes through and never have to lock up. These can also be made with flyscreens, but we didn't want that.