Security grill for windows and doors

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by omni99, 3rd Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. omni99

omni99 Member

I have 6 doors and 20 windows I would like to install security grill/screens for. The main purpose is to deter burglars and insects, with burglar taking a higher priority.

Do you guys have recommendation for what kind of security grill to go for? What might it cost?

I am thinking of going with Amplimesh SupaScreen. Main reason for it is the triple lock doors, and still allowing air through (even if reduced). Not sure of what the prices are, but will go for quotes if I am heading down the right direction.

This is for a PPOR.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Locks on windows?

3. omni99

omni99 Member

There are currently locks on all the windows. It is a pretty old house (110 odd years old), the windows can probably be broken very easily... :(

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Is it an IP or PPOR?

If PPOR, we've slowly added metal shutters to our windows for security (replaced ugly grills) and we leave windows open pretty much all year.

The ones we chose can be fitted with flyscreens, but we didn't want them.

They are not cheap, but probably similar to security mesh maybe. But we don't need curtains and these look great.

I think we paid about $700 per window but it is secure, replaces curtains and I think it adds value. If you've got 20 windows, that might mean choosing nice grills on less obvious ones and something like this on the windows that you don't want grills on?

Last edited: 4th Jul, 2016
  5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Here is what I'm talking about...

IMG_1556.JPG

omni99 likes this.
  6. SerenityNow

SerenityNow Well-Known Member

For intruders I'm considering 3m safety film; for creepy crawlies, regular flyscreen. Crimsafe (or its competitors) is another alternative I'm considering, with 3m film on the bifolds.

7. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Following....
    Interesting to see what people choose. How do we strike the balance between security, privacy and inability to exit quickly in times of emergency. .