Security cameras. Can tenant object?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Frank Manno, 3rd Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Frank Manno

Frank Manno Well-Known Member

If you are the landlord and rent out your property and had security cameras can the tenant object?

Cameras only on the front side and back of house.

Can they object if I installed these during the lease period and / or after?

Is this legal?

-Frank

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I would object as a tenant. I'd allow the front one for surveillance but to the side and rear it would invade the privacy of the tenant.

JenW likes this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If you were the one with access to the video they would object however if they were in control of the images (no video feed to your phone/tv/pvr) they could be amenable.

4. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

I wouldn't want them if I was a tenant - would be kinda weird knowing cameras were attached to the property.

Joynz likes this.
  5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

There are no laws against objecting. But there are laws against certiain types of surveillance.

6. Frank Manno

Frank Manno Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for responses.

I have my elderly dad moving in after the current lease and wanted to put cameras to just keep an eye on his safety. But didn't want to remove them later after renting it again

Might give the idea a miss.

7. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

Netgear Arlo. Wireless, can be fitted in less than an hour, only need a local wifi setup. Allows for cloud recording, live stream to phone, remote access to change settings & has IR for night time.

Ridiculously easy to remove.

FWIW, I've been running this system for just over 3 months with no issues what so ever.

Lil Skater, EN710 and Westminster like this.
  8. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

They can object, but just show them they are disconnected or the DVR has been removed.

I would like it if the system was there and I had use of it though.

9. VeronicaR

VeronicaR Well-Known Member

As a tenant, unless I had an amazing relationship with the landlord, I would assume dodgy reasons for wanting this.

10. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I don't see why you can't have it as a feature (eg an Alarm is a feature).
    As long as only the tenants have access to the cameras i don't see what the issue is.

11. VeronicaR

VeronicaR Well-Known Member

I agree that if the landlord did not have access to the footage, this would be a feature.

12. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Cameras within the building are surveillance. Camera on perimeter may (?) be monitoring.

13. Emble

Emble Member

So would I. And even if it was amazing, I would be uncomfortable with it. You shouldn't change the property without them knowing or agreeing esp with cameras during their tenancy. I think it might even constitute as nuisance of a sort if it affected their quiet enjoyment and right to comfort, solitude and privacy and what not on the property. The only way to really avoid that is to ensure that it is filming beyond the edges of the property and not continual.

An alarm is a feature because it goes off, but allows a tenant or whoever to punch in a code to switch it off. It also is usually set to specific periods. It is also responding to an "intrusion". Cameras are not announced every time they film, continuously, and there is information transmitted from cameras to unknown locations that is a helluva lot more personally identifying in nature than an alarm. It might not even be okay to do it for your dad unless you check with appropriate legislation if it has anything to do with privacy, informaton, surveillance like that and a person's residence for sure.

14. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Install the cameras while you dad is there (with his permission) if you want to, then remove them when he leaves.

I would think it illegal to have them inside the property while rented.
    Marg