Security + airflow for IP - best fix?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Whiz, 10th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Whiz

Whiz Well-Known Member

Tenant wants increased security on the rental, plus more airflow.
    It's a lowset older timber home in Queensland.

Trouble is 50% of the windows are the old awning style push out windows. The other 50% of windows are newer sash/double hung windows.

The tenant is worried about security if windows are left open. Fair enough.
    There's one airconditioner in the living room and fans throughout.

I'm looking for ideas for the best fix here.
    Thanks

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Probably the most economical would be the older style steel window grilles on selected windows, along with security doors.
    But make sure you leave enough windows unbarred for quick exits in case of fire.
    Marg

Propertunity likes this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We have selected security grills on some windows. We have great long term tenants and so we generally don't mind adding these. We just added a grill a few weeks ago for a lowish window. I picked up a Gumtree grill for $5.

Perthguy likes this.
  4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

You can get lockable window winders for awning windows cheaply on gumtree or eBay.

Otherwise around $30 each new from Bunnings.

Easy to install DIY.

JacM likes this.
  5. wylie

If that means the hopper style window would only open maybe 10cm that would allow airflow without allowing entry. Sounds like it would be worthwhile checking that out. That is a good idea to tuck away for myself.

6. Whiz

Whiz Well-Known Member

All good suggestions.

I've had a look at the wind out openers, and wonder if with such a small opening there would really be any significant airflow. Definitely a better option than having to lock the window closed at night.

Grills - I am imagining the type that are decorative bars on the windows - seem a practical solution. I don't really like them though, and feel they would date the house even more. But maybe that's just me.

Bedrooms are the main problem, and bars on the windows there would prevent quick exit. Additionally, I believe it would require all the existing flyscreens to be removed so taking away from the amenity of the place.

Trying to balance what is practical and affordable and yet not detract from the value of the place.

7. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    Seems to me like you need something like this:

Secureview
    SecureView Security Screens & Doors - CommandeX

Crimsafe

Basically replaces your fly screen while providing the same function against bugs but also is a strong security point.
    Opening points with locks can be installed on selected windows for exits.

We got something like this not on a window but a door, it'a a great product.

WattleIdo and Sonamic like this.
  8. wylie

We have metal plantation shutters. They look great and double up as security. You can have them with built in bug screens. They are not cheap though.

9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Yes. These are the most common type of openers here in Melbourne.

The winders actually can be wound out to about 30 cm if required. But they can be locked in any position from a mere crack to full width.

10. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

We have the same as Wylie. Awesome but very expensive. You do lose light though, but not as much as crimsafe.
    We have iron bars on some of our windows in the bedrooms too, they are black and completely unobtrusive.

11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I am curious about if something has happened to make the tenant feel concerned?

Is it a high crime area?

12. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

In any area an open, unsecured window is an invitation to thieves.

And without evidence of forcible entry, many insurance policies will only pay out very limited amounts under theft cover. For burglary sections of most policies you need evidence of forced entry.

And with the hot, humid Queensland summers, open windows are a necessity.

Sure, grilles will make the house dated, but it was said that the house is an older timber home anyway. And grilles can be fitted without removing the existing fly screens.
    Marg

13. Whiz

Whiz Well-Known Member

No, not a high crime area. But with the heat increasing, and the tenants wanting more airflow they wanted a more secure way to leave the windows open.

I've considered all the suggestions, and for cost, locking winders may work.
    Seem like they would be nuisance to use with any regularity though, especially when there are half a dozen windows to manage like that?

Was hoping that someone was successfully using a simpler device, one that would limit the opening but enable it to be opened fully when not needed. Had in mind chain locks or similar that get put onto doors.

I can see that the grills would fit with the character of a Queenslander and look good there, but I think on this house (50's? 60's?) I would be better to try something else.

If they make a window covering that hinges open easily like a security door, then this might be an option for a selected window or two. One supplier said they don't, but I'll try a couple of others. I know there are ones that have a security release in case of fire, but haven't seen any with hinges. I know it won't be cheap, but long term may add better value to the house.

14. wylie

I visited a friend last week who removed the screens from the sliding windows and had a crimsafe style product installed. It is secure but pushes open from the inside for easy escape. I'll ask her what the brand is.

15. Whiz

Whiz Well-Known Member

Thanks, but I think that type are only meant to be opened in an emergency so may not suit opening and closing an awning window.

16. wylie

It is crimsafe. Has a type of bump bar and she simply pushed it open. It was pretty impressive. I'd say absolutely ok for everyday use to get to the window to open and close but I'm guessing not cheap. She gave me the name of the installer and said he was cheaper than others. PM me if you want his name.

17. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Would be easy enough to put some small hinges on yourself - or ask a handyman to.
    I am such a polar opposite I really don't even like flyscreens in summer - seem to trap all the flies inside!
    So I just have to take everyone's word for it that all this security stuff is bona fide. But I would htink the flyscreens in themselves would be enough of a deterrent to a break-in. I never lock anything and take all the flyscreens off and leave windows open. Theives must think I'm at home.

18. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Anyone who does Al security grills and doors can make a swinging grill, but do you need it ?

They do not need every window open.

I would maybe do some with the wind outs and do a Wylie and look for some old Al grills on gumby tree and screw a couple over a few windows, who cares what it looks like, you can remove them if selling later.

Total cost 100 or 200 rather than many thousands

19. wylie

I've just realized that my idea of crimsafe with quick release may not suit your awning style window. Do you mean a hopper window (hinge at the top and pushes out from the bottom?

20. Whiz

Whiz Well-Known Member

Yes, hopper windows, so won't suit unfortunately.

Good point. I have been reconsidering grills like Wylie has done though I tend to see the problems with them rather than the solutions. But, as you've suggested, just on selected windows should do the trick, and then remove them if I plan to sell.

Concerns:
    a. There are sliding fly screens built on the inside of the windows. Not sure that grills will fit either on top of them, or under them successfully.
    b. How to organise it through the realestate agent.....

I could find the bars if I knew what sizes and types would work for which windows.
    Do they get attached to the window frame? or the wall (wall is gyprock)? or inside the frame? Do they need to be an exact fit or is there wiggle room?

I can see there are a fair selection on gumtree, even some that say they have an 'escape hatch'.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.