Securing screws to metal poles (fence)

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by neK, 21st Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Can someone please share some knowledge as to the best way to fix this?

I'm guessing its not as easy as simply taking the old screw out and putting a new one as the metal hole might be a bit bent. Haven't seen it in person, but going out there this weekend to rectify it - and I want to have all the right materials to fix it and head home as quickly as possible.

Any tips / tricks on how to fix this?

@bob shovel @Scott No Mates ?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Looks like standard galvanized hex head self tappers. You can buy a pack for $11 from Bunnings.
    Metal Fix Screws available from Bunnings Warehouse

If you have an impact driver (or cordless drill) take it with you with the screws from Bunnings. Should take no more than 5 minutes to remove the damaged ones and replace. If you're concerned about the old ones not coming out easily, take some decent pliers and a small spanner set just in case. Shouldn't need anything more.

3. neK

neK Well-Known Member

@York Will the holes in the metal pole be mutilated though? So even if get some new screws, it won't hold in place as the holes are messed up?

4. Phantom

It's hard to say without being there. Usually, fencing posts for gates are mild steel which is very hard. If I was to guess, I'd say the screw will deform way before the post does.

5. neK

neK Well-Known Member

@York
    Awesome!
    That makes it easier then... unless the damn screw doesn't come out.

6. Phantom

It should come out. Try to slowly reverse it out using impact driver/drill. If it doesn't work, don't insist - you will damage the hex head. Use a spanner or pliers.
    By the way, I forgot to mention, to screw in/out hex heads you will need a hex head socket bit specifically for this. You can get one from the tool shop in Bunnings. There are different sizes so just make sure it's the right size for the screws when you're there. Perhaps go to site first and take a screw with you from the hinge to Bunnings to make sure you get the same ones (assuming there is a Bunnings near your IP).

Buildex Hex Head Socket Bit 5/16x65mm

Last edited: 21st Jul, 2017
    neK likes this.
  7. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

Get some new tek screws from somewhere (green shed for example). Probably best to buy them one size larger than the existing one so it holds better. Galvanised for outside. The tek's are self-drilling into metal. You actually don't really need the tek since you'll already have a hole to put it in, but they would be the easist metal ones to use.
    The one in the hole should easily come out - one of the advantages to the tek's you already have there are that you have a hex head which you should easily be able to get out with a drill and hex head drive. A drill with hammer action to put the new one in would be best.
    If you really, really want it to look average but not come out again, drill a hole on the other side and use a long bolt with a couple of washers, but that would be overkill.

neK and bob shovel like this.
  8. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

go a size bigger to bite into good metal.

otherwise you made need to take the hinge off and raise or lower to get some undrilled metal and start again. you may see a couple of holes but the tenants wont notice ;)

neK likes this.
  9. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I think ther is a problem, but it is middle hinge.

Dont us an impact driver, if it is not a tight fit, I would thing about using a glue of some kind and or a larger screw size or different hinge.

neK likes this.
  10. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I usually just drill straight through that post and then nut and bolt it with perhaps a spring washer on the nut side and ordinary washer on the other side. But hey I'm a bit rough.

neK likes this.
  11. dabbler

Whats wrong with 2.5 inch roofing screws so those on the other side have something to catch clothes on if they try and jump the gate ?

datto likes this.
  12. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Nah, get spears on the fence to scare off intruders:
    [​IMG]

Scott No Mates likes this.
  13. dabbler

Thats not a bad spear, was that you in my Exa ??? lol

datto likes this.
  14. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

The holes in the post are likely stripped so use a larger gauge screw, which may have to be a timber type 17 hex head rather than tek screw, or just go with 3/16" pop rivets.

dabbler and neK like this.
  15. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! I will give this a crack this weekend.

Phantom likes this.
  16. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@neK unless the screw hole is damaged/distorted you shouldn't need a heavier gauge screw. You should be able to pick up a 1/2" pack of roofing screws from your local hardware store (might even find one in the tray of a parked ute - if there's no ute, @datto may be able to find one).

Phantom and datto like this.
  17. datto

datto Well-Known Member

lol. Don't steal from tradies! They'll screw ya to the roof if they catch you.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  18. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Fence was fixed - thanks to all for the advice :)

The existing screws were 12g. Using metal 12g screws and timber 12g screws didn't work. It kept slipping at the end when i tried to tighten them.

So i had to use 14g screws, but those are zinc plated and not galvanised, so ill need to see where I can source some 14g galvanised ones... couldn't find any at the big green shed (those ones were all longer sizes and the the thread didn't go all the way to the end).

Looks like the installer actually made multiple holes in the pole itself - which probably explains why they came loose to begin with.

mcarthur likes this.
  19. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

If you can get someone with a mig welder to tack them on is the best option or drill straight through the post then use a long bolt with a lock-nut on the other end and file the sharp edges off.

Been down this track with rentals many times, they either smash the gate every time they open it or let it flap all day in the wind. Everything almost needs to be bullet proof.

20. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Bunnings sell a broad range of pack sizes and have SS, gal, self tappers, bugle head, timber, hex, special slotted ones and wierd one to use with a screwgun, sealed, and even ones in camo paint and suitable for concealed decking, fencing and ribbed head etc...And in small packs as well as massive packs

Decking Screws available from Bunnings Warehouse

Between bunnings and the ATO you are guaranteed to get screwed

neK likes this.