Secure files exchange

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by M.C, 12th Nov, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. M.C

M.C Active Member

Hi all,

Just wondering if there is any secure way to exchange files with Mortgage Brokers. I am not comfortable sending all my personal details over email and keen to hear about how others exchange personal documents.

Cheers,
    M.C

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

If you are that worried, go see them personally.

3. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Password protect the data you send across on email, text the password or call the broker to advise the password. Simple.

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

we use an upload system so no need to email.

Redwing and M.C like this.
  5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Tax agents and brokers shouldnt be dealing with private information by email. It is easily intercepted by IT staff, hackers and all sorts of people.

I know of someone who fell for the Microsoft virus scam who had their entite laptop and all email accounts compromised. After two years of moonitoring patiently when they went on a holiday the thieves acted and took $800K in super through an elborate scheme. The client had their identity compromised from their tax return and other records...not from us ....the Police found but through use of Dropbox. They also shared access to all email cleverly re-marking them as "unread" the whole time. They accessed the dropbox password and as it was the same as the laptop and email password and all dropbox docs sat on the laptop as well in a sync'd folder.. They also accessed all super information including a document called "passwords" that also gave access to online banking. So they altered the linked bank account for super withdrawals. They even accessed a copy of the drivers license to accompany the transfer request. They faked the certification. The cyber crime investigators were very diligent is tracing every illegal access and how each element of data was obtained. A terrible story. They did recover $300K sitting in a third party bank account that was trapped by a diligent bank detection (CBA) to reduce what was originally a $800K theft. That person was not directly involved but allowed her bank account for movement of funds for a cut and is now enjoying life in jail for 8 years. The perpetrators were foreign.

Lindsay_W and M.C like this.
  6. M.C

M.C Active Member

What do you use to share/receive document that contains PIIs?

7. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

So when a lender requests sensitive information be sent to them via email, how do you get around it?
    And why do Accountants send Tax Returns with their client TFN's showing? Not implying you or your firm does, but I'm always amazed when I get TR's with TFN clearly visible and sent via email with no password protection.

M.C likes this.
  8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I dont. I send to client. By upload.
    We dont send with tfn dob or other info visible. Even ato docs are redacted

I can rip passwords out of pdfs. Never been a problem. Word excel pdf etc. Its faster to rip than ask for passwords. It gives me password..or removes it. Depends on file

Last edited: 12th Nov, 2020