Section 82a boarding house

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Joey911, 12th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Joey911

Joey911 Member

Hi

I have had my DA application refused at IHAP for the following reasons

1. The application is unacceptable pursuant to Section 4.15(1)(b) in that the potential social impacts have not been appropriately mitigated by the proposal, and the proposed governing management regime for the proposed use is wholly inadequate, which is a crucial aspect to ensure that social impacts are acceptable;

2. The proposal does not comply with the solar access provisions for the proposed common room, within Clause 29 of State Environmental Planning Policy (Affordable Rental Housing) 2009, noting there are not many key controls to comply with, the boarding rooms are small and the amenity of the common area will be important for residents;

3. The vehicular manoeuvring is likely to lead to conflicts with pedestrian movements within the site;

Can anyone give me suggestions as to how these issues can be addressed as I am looking at having the decision reviewed under section 82a

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

How would we do that if we don't know anything about your DA application?

Isn't this something your designer/architect/town planner that helped you lodge the DA should be doing?

Colin Rice likes this.
  3. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

You would need to go back to the designer and see if they can get it to comply in regards points 2 & 3.

I would also go back to IHAP for more clarification of what is required to mitigate the potential social impacts for part 1?

4. Joey911

Joey911 Member

How can I go back to IHAP I get clarification? Aren't they just a panel that are independent from council?

5. Joey911

Joey911 Member

What is there to know about the application?

Everything complies and the refusal was based on those points

Yes I am in Consultation with the designer and planner however I wanted seek if there was anyone that has had to address these issues and how have they addressed them

6. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Well how is anyone able to give any advice if you don't give us any information about the application?

7. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Well 2&3 would suggest it doesn't comply.
    Social impacts is to do with people ...

8. Joey911

Joey911 Member

Yes I understand that social impacts is to do with people however it complies on all the other controls

So how would you go about addresses those issues?

9. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Boarding houses are fairly notorious for being unpopular with local residents.
    You should do your own research or engage a consultant to find out why, and consider how those issues could be resolved.

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You are paying two consultants - how has the designer addressed the vehicular interface? Surely with minimal requirements for parking this can be addressed quite easily (how many spots required, does pedestrian access require crossing path of vehicles, are cars coming out of parking spaces backwards etc).

Why is there a lack of Solar access - windows too small? No skylights? Designed in wrong part of building?

Your planner should have addressed the social impacts in their statement of environmental effects.

The lady in the school tuck shop probably has more of an idea than your team.

Happy 84 likes this.