Secondary unit build

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by RenegadeDom, 5th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. RenegadeDom

RenegadeDom Well-Known Member

Hi,

Thought I'd start a thread about my current secondary unit (granny flat) build at an IP I purchased this time last year. I bought the dwelling with a DA approved secondary unit which was part complete. It had DA approval but no CC was approved to begin construction even though construction had already started, the slab was down and the timber framing was up. Prior to purchasing I made all the relevant enquires and stated settlement would only go through if vendor provided a Building Certificate stating all work was signed off by council so it could not be removed. Through great work by the real estate, this was eventually provided and purchase completed.

[​IMG]

The secondary unit is a one bedroom, one bathroom attached dwelling which makes use of the sloping site to situate half the unit beneath the existing house. This space already housed the bedroom and bathroom, which was going to be completely renovated as part of the build.

Next step was to get CC approval, I completed plans (am an architect) and engaged a private certifier. Obtained owner builder permit with a bit of hassle having to justify costings as it was already partly completed on purchase. During this time planning had already begun on organising trades to get the unit to lock up stage. First thing was to address the existing timber framing to suit changes I made to the floor plans to increase privacy whilst correcting poor workmanship with the stud walls.

upload_2016-6-5_16-8-3.png

upload_2016-6-5_16-8-24.png

upload_2016-6-5_16-8-46.png

The purchase of the house came with timber roof strusses which weren't installed. First thing was to get these installed along with the FC external cladding,external entrance door and living room window. All painting was done by myself throughout the entire build.

upload_2016-6-5_16-15-33.png

My old man has helped massively on this project, he is a sparky by trade so he wired the entire unit complete with separate metering as well as helping with pretty much every aspect besides certain trades which needed certification.

2. RenegadeDom

Next stage involved getting the roof complete and drainage plumbed into existing stormwater system. I got a skylight installed to make use of the north facing skillion roof, this made a massive difference internally as I removed the windows along this face so the unit was completely private.

upload_2016-6-5_16-24-15.png

Any job that could be done by either myself or my dad we completed. Installing insulation was one of these jobs, albeit the old man wanted nothing to do with this one haha

upload_2016-6-5_16-27-32.png

Part of the CC approval conditions was reverse membrane waterproofing to the laundry/ bathroom area as the external wall is backfilled and is constantly damp due to the sloped block. There was also evidence of the existing shower leaking through the brick wall. This was all rectified by a certified waterproofer. New internal stud wall knocked up by the old man.

3. RenegadeDom

At this stage a critical inspection had to be done by the private certifier to certify structure, insulation, waterproofing etc The next step was to get the entire unit internally lined. At first I was going to attempt this myself but better judgement prevailed and I got it done professionally.

upload_2016-6-5_16-38-59.png upload_2016-6-5_16-39-14.png IMAG1009.jpg

Susan and property_geek like this.
  4. Gingin

Gingin Well-Known Member

Nicely done. Looks great!