Search for Agents

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by pjames, 8th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. pjames

pjames Well-Known Member

What does everyone think the best way to search for agents is?

Do you make a list of all the agents in your area by searching on domain and re etc?

Do you send out a Questionnaire email to them all and ask them questions like:
    • What are your fees?

• Are you OK with 90 days contract and 30 days after?

• How many properties have you leased in the first 2 weeks of advertising in last year?

• other questions?

I would prefer an agent initially that does large turnover and can get tenants in to a place that is not in a real busy area. I do not like large agencies but I'm thinking they might be best for the first few months just to get a tenants in then after the contract of say 3 months I will give them notice if they are not doing a great job and then look for a smaller agency. That way I have my tenant in as I have found small agents to take a long time sometimes to find a tenant.

Xenia likes this.
  2. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Are you after an agent or a PM?

From your OP, it looks like it is a PM

3. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Same same
    We do everything ;)

4. pjames

pjames Well-Known Member

yes I meant a PM

5. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

A few pointers for you:
    • Check if they're members of their state REI (eg REIQ, REISA, REIWA etc) as this means they abide by a special code of conduct over and above the state legislation
    • Check if they do PM only or sales as well. PM always plays 2nd fiddle to sales in agencies
    • Check what areas they do. If they only do the local neighbourhood remember in the future you may get more properties. Preferably have your properties under one roof to maintain that 1:1 relationship.
    • Check what roles their staff do. Check who is actually looking after your property and what experience they have. See what support staff they have and why. Also ask about staff turnover.
    • Check how many properties they have online on realestate.com.au (or Domain / Allhomes in some states) as this may indicate how many properties they're trying to lease at the same time as yours. It might also indicate if they're staying online for a while.
    • Check what open times are on their existing properties as some will only do during business hours as opposed to catering to their target market.
    • Ask if they offer an online webportal in order to be able check 24/7 on how your investment is doing, real-time money status and previous inspections. There have been a few posts on these forums lately about landlords not being paid / money missing.

6. pjames

pjames Well-Known Member

thanks Nemo for the tips.

7. Tanya1335

Tanya1335 Well-Known Member

Very comprehensive, exactly the questions I would be asking

D.T. likes this.