Screening trees ideas sought

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by Tufan Chakir, 1st May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

I can assure you with 100% certainty that they are Bambusa textilis var. Gracilis (Slender Weaver's Bamboo):).

When younger in general and in less ideal climate / growing conditions they won’t get as large both in height and culm with. Ours looked similar to this when younger:

0EE5493B-5821-430B-8294-BE0FB127AFF7.jpeg

Now they’re older I’m barely able to get my hand (I’m 200 cm tall so not small hands either) around many of the culms. NOTE however that some culms continue to remain narrow in width. In the picture below the culms in my hand are growing next to each other on the same plant:

BD8FD36D-83F3-4E8D-AA4F-D774B34CFDB5.jpeg

Most of the Gracilis were purchased through the following supplier who has enormous expertise in Bamboo:
    The others were purchased through the following Bamboo Wholesaler who supplies many southern nurseries with stock:

Bamboo Plants for Sale and Non-invasive Clumping Bamboo from Bamboos Wholesale.

GRACILIS SLENDER WEAVERS BAMBOO | Bamboos Wholesale (Great price if able to collect given delivery cost). I was able to pick up from depot in Brisbane so bugger all delivery cost.

Last edited: 3rd Jun, 2020
    Lacrim likes this.
  2. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Yeah my research tells me forget bamboo UNLESS its concreted around the planter beds and even then....it has a mind of its own and apparently tons of leaf litter as well. Plus, I personally don't think it all that attractive. To screen a 2nd storey place, I second (the right species) of lilly pilly, Magnolias or Viburnums. But, you ought to pick something that can row a min of 6m. That may rule the Viburnums out.

vbplease likes this.
  3. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

4. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

I have plenty of the above especially Lilly pillies on our property all growing brilliantly. Yes they also provide pretty good privacy.

I believe bamboo is best kept away from the house, pool and neighbours yard as they do have significant leaf drop. The bamboo on our acreage is planted on a steep roadside ridge providing fantastic erosion control and a privacy screen almost like a solid wall. The significant leaf litter acts as a heavy mulch maintaining ground moisture and provision of nutrients.

vbplease likes this.
  5. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Another idea is Photinias. Here’s our front Photinia hedge at around 6 metres tall. Some varieties of Lilly pilly’s would grow taller though.

4DBE1F0E-B16E-4D10-8494-1C4BF5502522.jpeg

Lacrim likes this.
  6. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Prefer that to bamboo by a long shot.

7. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

May I ask a question re: hedging...it's relevant I think to the screening discussion in a sense to promote a thick hedge no one can see through.

If one (I) has a hedge that they've neglected for a couple of years and has grown taller as opposed to wider/denser, is it ever too late to cut it back height wise to promote thickness and growing sideways?

I mean are you kind of screwed if you didn't 'prune hard and prune EARLY'?

8. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Often no problem but it varies depending on the species of plant.

We’ve cut around 6 - 8 metre plus tall Lilly Pilly’s back to around 1 metre or so, nothing but the stump and some main low branches. They grew back incredibly dense right down to ground level. Did the same with many other different tall shrubs / small trees. When we purchased the property it was around 20 years old with many plants neglected and sparse in foliage. So many were cut back severely or replaced.

Here’s a picture of the Lilly Pilly’s now over 5 metres tall around 5 years after cutting them severely as mentioned above:

AB9A4CC6-C7D6-4119-B68C-C408B7182190.jpeg

Further the Photinia hedge posted earlier was around 8 metres tall when we move here but a bit sparse near ground level. We had then all cut back to 3 metres. They grew back quite rapidly but with much greater density. Another photo taken this morning, all back to over 6 metres tall:

63A720BB-4E46-4413-8AC4-677A637FB6D2.jpeg

9. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Great thank you, gives me hope! And I like the density of yours. Nothing like looking out onto a wall of green if you don't have views.

10. magpieseason

magpieseason Well-Known Member

Clumping bamboo is shallow ooted and doesn't have the shooting rhyzome of its invasive cousin, no more likely to break out of a concrete planter than any root bound plant .

Last edited: 7th Jun, 2020
  11. magpieseason

magpieseason Well-Known Member

I wish. Then I wouldn't have to buy pea straw slabs for $18 at B for mulch .
    If leaf litter is a problem its best practice to cut out older culms that die off .

Lacrim likes this.
  12. 29349

29349 Well-Known Member

Lilipilly should not be planted near water pipes or buildings due to invasive roots bamboo also v difficult to remove once in.

WattleIdo likes this.
  13. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Clumping bamboo is easy to remove permanently.

14. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

15. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

So anyone with real, practical experience growing an ATTRACTIVE looking tree/s that's narrow, dense and will reached a mature max height of say 6-8m inside 5 years (apart from bamboo)?

16. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Other than having 'lost' the bottom branches in a fight with the whipper snipper ;), the possums undertake all of the hard work pruning the leaves back to bare & I get rid of a few branches on the odd occasion that the plants get too high.

There are various tall gardenias (ours are about 1.2 m after 2 years), westringa (about the same height) or the camelias which are about 6' and quite narrow (some varieties are much taller but they can be cut back quite severely).

17. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

But they can't screen a 2 storey building at the tip of the boundary can they? I reckon to screen off a 2 storey house you need a hedge that can grow 6m...or ideally 8m just to be sure.

18. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

How narrow?

Pencil pines are narrow and get to 6m. Maybe not in 5 years though?

Cupressus Sempervirens 'glauca' - Pencil Pines Tree | Online Plants

19. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

My advice each time I'm asked about pencil pines is DONT :cool:
    They continue to grow and often cause issues to nearby buildings :eek:
    Not to mention the constant loss of foliage killing everything below, and those little round seed pods hurt under foot:oops:

20. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

3-4m is a serious hedge, 6-8m requires a forest.

As I posted initially, I installed planter boxes about 1m high then planted mature Viberniums which grow about 3m+ and thicken up substantially. The building next door is reasonably screened considering that our hedge screen sits under solid shade for most of the year except for winter.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia