Screening trees ideas sought

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by Tufan Chakir, 1st May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

Hello all
    I'm looking for something fast growing (hopefully) that will be planted against our high front and side fence
    Ideally something that will grow to about 2.5 - 3 m to screen out neighbours. Our floor level is about 600 above ground. Fence is 1.8
    Thinking something that I can trim so that the trunks are clean below fence line - kind of sculptural
    Any suggestions would be appreciated

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If the budget allows buy larger/advanced plants as these will provide instant screening.

We constructed raised 1 m high planter boxes with treated pine sleepers and also put an independently supported 900mm lattice screen on the fence line for instant privacy.

A few options - dwarf Lilipillis, Murrayas, Mop-top Robinias (these are deciduous but you could use the non-decorative Robinia If you don't require shaped trees). I can't recall what I have in the planter boxes (they're evergreen, about 3m tall and quite dense)

3. iloveqld

iloveqld Well-Known Member

Some photos, even in private message please as I am in the same situation, thanks a lot.

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Most trees aren't fast growing even if their description says so however I can suggest
    1. Magnolias - not terribly fast growing but so popular at the moment their pricing for advanced ones is very reasonable so you can start with a good height.
    2. Cottonwood Hibicus - is fast growing and can be shaped as you mentioned and has beautiful burgundy leaves that suit many house colours.
    3. Pittosperum (can't spell it sorry) but it's a great fence hedger, quite fast growing and will get above fence height

Redwing and Tufan Chakir like this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

To the left is the raised planter box - the trees are viberniums, there are cliveas (orange flowers) in front to screen the planter box. At the rear you can see the lilipillis and the screening.

@Tufan Chakir - the lilipillis have had the bottom branches/shoots removed.

Stoffo, magpieseason and iloveqld like this.
  6. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Hakea Salicifolias. Hardy and relatively fast growing. Often used for screening purposes.

WattleIdo and iloveqld like this.
  7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Magnolias little gems

Magnolia Little Gem - Burke's Backyard

We planted these along fence, they are magnificent, when they flower spectacular and foliage is glossy which is very attractive

Grow very quickly added bonus, no need to trim

WattleIdo and Tufan Chakir like this.
  8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Our son planted Lillypilly pinnacle to block out a two story place next door. They've grown to about double their initial height in one year. Not sure how they'd go in Melbourne?

Tufan Chakir likes this.
  9. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated

10. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Clumping Bamboo?

11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I can second clumping bamboo. I planted quite a bit of Gracillis and it’s gone really well.

Got it from a guy near Nunawading who grows it in his backyard at $45 a pot.

I planted mine far enough away from the fence that I can squeeze behind and snap off any new growth that gets too close to the fence (I like a 35-40cm space). Could do this from the front too - but it’s easier from the back when it thickens.

When I bought it, the advice was to plant at 800mm centres for a quick screen. But you can plant it further and the screen will just take a bit longer to fill out.

It’s easy to prune the lower leaves for a sculptural look.

You can also plant at wider spacings and infill later if you think it needs thickening.

Note: clumping bamboo not running bamboo. Big difference.

Last edited: 2nd May, 2020
    magpieseason, Westminster and shorty like this.
  12. iloveqld

13. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

In warm climates Frangipani See
    In warm climates frangipani seedlings grow fast and can be planted 1m apart. Size of plants after 3.5 years from seed

Attached Files:

iloveqld likes this.
  14. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

I’d be carefull with bamboo.. our back neighbour planted some down the side of his block. In about 6mnths it’s grown to nearly 10m tall and 6m wide at the top.. it’s out of control. I think I spotted a silverback gorilla in there the other day.

I’d also be careful with planting vegetation too close to the house.. depending on the plant type and soil reactivity, it could cause significant drying out of the soil, settlement in the footings and movement cracking in your house

Antoni0, Lacrim, MTR and 1 other person like this.
  15. iloveqld

Should the clumping bamboo like Gracilis will not spread and grow that big?
    Maybe his soil is good with enough water and drainage?

16. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

I’m not quite sure about the species.. although a google search of gracilis looks the same. a good source of moisture has probably contributed to rapid growth.

iloveqld likes this.
  17. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

The OP is based in Melbourne. It won’t get that big inMelbourne weather! Too cold. It’s commonly used here.

And it’s clumping - it cant get ‘out of control’. Also really easy to thin out and to cut to whatever height you want. Once cut, the stalks won’t get any taller.

I suspect your neighbour has a different species (and it’s Queensland...)

18. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Re Gracilis Bamboo given perfect conditions they will get a lot bigger than many expect. Below is a picture of one of the biggest single Gracilis you will find anywhere. It’s located about 20 minutes drive from us. The guy pictured with it is a world renowned bamboo expert who lives about 10 minutes drive from us. I bought a number of our Gracilis off him very cheap. We have around 15 Gracilis as a roadside privacy screen on a steep sloped ridge. At 5 years old they average 8 - 10 metres. I love them.

257C24A1-F295-4C35-A37A-C3E6CB02B77B.jpeg

KateSydney and iloveqld like this.
  19. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Lovely.

But it won’t get that big in Melbourne. Gracillis will only get to 5-6 metres high in Melbourne. The stalks (culms) don’t seem to get that thick either.

But can be trimmed to any length.

Last edited: 2nd May, 2020
  20. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

You never know, global warming etc:D.