Screening tenant with 4 kids (refugee?)

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by menty, 3rd Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. GreenMedallion

GreenMedallion Member

It is good to see you are giving her a go.

My only concerns would be
    - visa status, e.g. is she awaiting refugee status determination? Possibly not if eligible for Centrelink?
    - 5 people in a two bedroom apartment

Is the $1100 a week before or after tax?

2. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Wow, that's a lot of support, its probably equivalent to the median full time wage.

We do live in a generous country.

3. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

In some ways. It would be nice if we could look after the disadvantaged already in the country, but the government seems intent on making it as difficult as it can for them with each passing year.

4. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Oh, I forgot rent assistance, that's another $85pw. It seems incredibly complex - no wonder Switzerland wants to replace all welfare with just one payment. I'm sure there's more that I've missed but with a dozen payments it's ridiculous.

I have no issue with us tax payers helping a single mum. It just seems like too much help. I think this woman deserves extra non-financial help to assist her to integrate (notice - not assimilate) into Australia. She might need English lessons, basic literacy etc. She may come from a culture where women have no financial literacy - she might need some assistance there too.

We do live in a very generous country. I love to boast that we give unemployed/pensioners/single mums etc a livable benefit when I travel. Most people can't believe it.

EN710, Bayview and GreenMedallion like this.
  5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I spent several years as a child, in a small bedroom with my three siblings. Just walking space between the beds. No room for a chest of drawers. Got a sleepout built at 13 years. Family of seven, one bathroom, no problem.

I'd definitely consider her as a tenant.

sanj likes this.
  6. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

It's funny, but realistically with that income she would be in a position to buy an IP if she could get the deposit together.

GreenMedallion likes this.
  7. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

Carers payment + carers allowance would be options

8. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Just so you know; none of my posts about this had any direct reference to that woman and the 4 kids being a refugee ....or not.

That was all you....jumping up and down like we were picking on the refugees....bzzzzt wrong.

And; who makes you the expert on whether she has suffered any sort of real trauma as a refugee to get here, and or how much trauma I or anyone else for that matter who has gone through when they got to the brink of bankruptcy and had to sell their house in order to avoid it?

You assume a hell of a lot with no facts...and clearly no knowledge about what getting to a very severe financially bad state can have as an effect on your mental state - or your wife's mental state...and it wasn't just financial by the way; there was a pretty dire staff situation at that same time as well that was mentioned in a thread which I later asked to be deleted by the mods.

So; you don't know jack-sheet, my friend.

My reference basically in relation to a person who had 4 kids, wasn't working and was getting about the average wage for doing nothing.

Last edited: 5th Jun, 2016
    jim1964 and Ed Barton like this.
  9. Ed Barton

Sanj will tell you what you think and believe.

10. Ed Barton

Who could this woman possibly be caring for?

11. legallyblonde

If you kids has diabetes you can get carers allowance... she could gey the 123.50 a fornight for each kid... if a single kid has more special needs she could get carers payment

12. Ed Barton

ok thanks. So is that on top of everything else? I think the carers pension would just replace her parenting payment. Is diabetes so complex it requires full time care?

I believe that once the youngest turns 8 she will be shifted to the far less generous dole.

13. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

pls feel free to find a single point in my post where I denied that what you went through disqualifies you from the trauma you're referring to. go on, I dare you.

also, I referred specifically to your financial issues that you have discussed on PC and SS in depth, im hardly making long leaps here. how is it I don't know jack-sheet??

Anyway, in case 2 paragraphs are too long - I said if you did suffer genuine mental issues due to a very tough year you absolutely deserve govt support. YOU ASKED THE QUESTION, I ANSWERED IT.

Im happy to stand by my sentiment that running away from a war torn country with absolutely nothing, which by definition means losing all financial means too, is genrslly worse than losing all your cash.

feel free to overshare and then get upset when people reference what you over share though. go forth and conquer.

14. sanj

Yeah at 6 or 8 it drops a fair bit from memory

15. sanj

The same benefits are available to locals. they aren't refugee specific benefits so the disadvantaged in the country aren't missing out.

Joynz likes this.
  16. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Yet you have turned it into some sort of anti-refugee thing, because folks have questioned the validity of Gubb handouts to what is on the surface a single non-working adult with 4 kids earning a lot of money, who may or may not have suffered any dramatic form of inconvenience.

All these arguments end up the same - refugees, Aboriginals, welfare folks, radicalised Muslims - anyone who raises any sort of criticism - even though it may be a valid critique is immediately pounced on by the handwring brigade, slamming the critics as being a racist, a bigot, heartless and so on. It's just hilarious...but also dangerous - it stops folks from trying to fix issues because they give up on raising concerns and criticisms, and then the issues escalate.

Yes, no denial I agree, but's It's your twist and implication, Sanj; you waved it off like it could not possibly anywhere near the same sort of problems this woman may or may not have experienced...have you had to be in a position of near bankruptcy, selling you PPoR out of necessity - that you've spent an enormous amount of blood sweat and tears (and money) having to halve your income and shed staff just to stay afloat, etc? Have you ever had to tell staff they are no longer required...folks who are battlers and need the job?

Like everything; to outsiders the degree of (mental) effect is not visible.

I don't mind you rubbishing me about this, because I realise that my lot in life is nowhere near as bad as what a large number of refugees have to endure - but this lady might be nothing more than an economic refugee who was able to flee the Country at the first sniff of trouble and somehow set up camp here. Who knows?

But is now enjoying a seemingly fabulously funded lifestyle, while many of us are out there slogging our guts out and with little reward, and little assistance (not that I want any because I'm a "hand up" type)...just because we are working, and she is some form of refugee does not necessarily make her more qualified for assistance over others who have life issues just because she might have had a life issue.

That's my argument.

17. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Pensioners who are having their payments cut due to changes in the last 12 months because they have a little bit of super are missing out.
    Children that have mental or physical disabilities whose families only option is to have them in an aged care facility because the government has forgotten them are missing out.
    Homeless people in Australia are missing out.
    Hungry children of people who don't have access to the same support and payments are missing out.
    In your scenario that you've made up, no one has it as tough as this person. Righto.

18. legallyblonde

Correct. Carers payment would be instead of parenting payment. Carers allowance is an add on... to help with the extra costs of medical conditions

19. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

Am I missing something here? I read @menty 's original post, but nowhere its mentioned the lady has a refugee status OR is from a war torn part of the country OR is having it tough.
    Treat the application as just 'another' application from a single mother on centrelink benefits.

Bayview likes this.
  20. Ed Barton

What are the extra costs of something like diabetes? It might be a little tricky to get medicare funded GP visits, but they are available. There is the PBS safety net so people don't shell out too much for drugs. I can't see having a diabetic child requires another $60 pw in welfare.