Technology & Social Media Screen Time

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by albanga, 15th May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

How much screen time do you estimate you have per day?

If I’m awake for say 16 hours, I would estimate that maybe only 3 of those are not spent staring at a screen.

I wake up and commute with my phone.
    Then I stare at a monitor for most of the day with the only breaks being for meetings or lunch.

Then I commute home staring at my phone.
    When I get home I walk the dogs and have dinner and then I stare at a TV screen (whilst staring at my phone during breaks) and then I go to bed. Rinse and Repeat until weekends where I have very little screen time.

The thing is I don’t even consider myself bad in comparison to others I know. I try and read on my commutes to replace a screen with a book. I go gym at lunch and walk my dogs without fail.

Curious as to how much time others spend? And what you do to break away from the screen?
    My wife and I don’t have kids yet though so I’m sure that will eventually make a big difference.

2. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Very similar story here.
    I do at least 9 hours for work and then in the afternoon, maybe an hour or so of mindless TV stuff all up and then another 3-4 hours of productive screen time.

I tend to go to sleep watching youtube videos in night time mode but generally it's productive stuff too. So all up a good 15-16 hours midweek but a lot less than this during the weekends as i make an effort to be out and about away from screens

It does get to me sometimes and when it does, i go back to reading so my afternoon screen sessions go down to a few hours.

albanga likes this.
  3. Jezzah

Jezzah Well-Known Member

I can echo mostly both of your situations. If you live in and work in a cbd, and travel on public transport, then I suspect large amounts of screen time are fairly normal (in our society).

I try to catch up on news while on my commute by reading articles from a variety of sites. However if that's too difficult or I'm not interested in any of them then I have a backlog of podcasts that I will just throw on while I take a mental survey of the different tech the people around me use. Galaxy phone, iPhone, Sony headphones, Bose headphones, Laptop (why!? you are on a packed train!).

The times I am most willing to not look at a screen are the large sections of walking I like to do on my commute. My peers think I am crazy that I don't catch a tram but I find them very relaxing before and after work. Still I am amazed by the people who try to walk and still use their screen. That's an easy way to get yourself hurt.

The other routine periods of no screen time are around meal preparation and bed times for the kids. We will still often (not always) have a tv on during meals though.

I'm not really too bothered to estimate the entire amount of time I spend on screens. I still exercise regularly and eat well.

albanga likes this.
  4. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Here's some additional screen time for ya :)

albanga likes this.
  5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I'm pretty much like you too - up and first check the temperature on the phone to work out what to wear - feed the menagerie of animals (including myself) - school run - home - onto computer for 5 hours - school run - gym (staring at TV while sweating arse off on trainer) - home - then another 4 hours between computer, phone and TV

So, I'd say 9-10 hours all up ... which is why I probably insist on reading paper books, magazines and weekend newspaper

Jess Peletier and SatayKing like this.
  6. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

My approach is simpler. Walk out on the balcony sans clothes and there ya go.

Jess Peletier and Lizzie like this.
  7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

hahahaha - I hate layering, so try to dress once for the entire day - ergo checking what the temp is and will be.

Bit chilly this time of year for the sans

8. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

My screen time is insane. I purposefully try to read real books to make sure my attention span isn't completely eroded - I find myself on tangents all day with all my open tabs!

9. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

@SatayKing you're a brave man doing that in Canberra this time of year.

@Lizzie I don't know if you could get away without layering in Canberra. Frequently it's below zero when it's time.to leave the house; it can still be quite pleasant during the day.

Lizzie likes this.
  10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

We're swinging from 8-22 atm ... but even in winter, when we drop below 0, I have the fire ticking over inside and the house is warm, where I work ... so might throw the drizabone on for outside excursion but otherwise ...

11. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I hadn't picked you for a swinger.

Redwing and Lizzie like this.
  12. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

My phone is telling me I’m averaging 3hrs/day this week which is 22% above average.

I don’t watch TV and I use my computer probably an average of 1hr/day.

Noting that currently I’m not working in an office, so add 8hrs/day there and I’m probably up to about 10hrs/day average (my phone usage drops when I use my computer more).

I try to limit screen time. But usually fail at it.

Blacky

13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I've given up and just accept it as part of who/what/where we are at in this day and age ... although have just come in from an hour watering the garden

14. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

If I allowed it I guess I could easily fall foul of being glued to a screen, just like this one. I try not to. Get in the car and switch phone to airplane mode. Same with appointments, lunches and the like. Sometimes I forget to turn that off. Oops.

I don't understand why others meet and look at the screen, fiddle with it, take personal calls, send snaps, texts and a heap of other things. I thought meeting up with others was to meet them and not drag your external life into it.

Emergency? If it's a matter of life or death call an ambulance. Let me know later for sure.

Urgent? Chatting whether it's Maccas or KFC for dinner for Tarquin doesn't class as urgent. Well, I don't consider it does.

You've lost your keys after a big night out? Get a locksmith. I'm 300 km away and it's 2 o'clock in the morning.

Yet of course there are big advantages.

For general screen time. Over early morning coffee scan what is loosely defined as news and then forget about it. A few emails. Quick look at this forum and maybe say something inane then leave with the occasional glance when I'm not involved in other matters.

Evening is close to zilch. Not into it to that extent. Some ABC or SBS should I find something I like. If I'm not out, it's read, music (listen and play) then rinse and repeat.

As for cool mornings in this part of the world. First, some places in NSW are colder. Second, if it is calm and sunny, it is warm if you're not in the shade. Shade, wind, overcast isn't grand though.

Lizzie likes this.