Screen door requested - split cost with tenant?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Cem, 12th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Cem

Cem Member

Hi all,

My tenants requested the installation of a screen door recently as they wanted to be able to open the front door for ventilation during hot days.

I requested my property manager obtain two quotes and I ended up chosing one of those mesh screens as the flyscreens age quickly and I wanted to keep the aesthetics of the property in line with design standards of the community strata.

As these screens cost ~$700, I asked my PM to request the tenant play half, either as a lump sum or as an increase in weekly rent over 12 months.

Just wondering if this was the right way to go about it seeing as they have just had their first annual rent increase?

Cheers

2. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Worth a try. This is something Ive always bought. Tenants like a secure front door screen it seems

3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

rent incrase and the fly screen bill... take no prisoners!!

i'd just pay it

4. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

id just pay it too.
    If it was some crazy request id negotiate with the tenant to pay or say no, however i see a screen door as reasonable and adds value to your prop (even if just in tenant appeal). its going to be there for many years.

5. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

I agree with the sentiments here. I would not ask the tenant to pay

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd pay it too. Adds value and makes the place more attractive when this tenant leaves.

7. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

During summer months we leave our front door permanently open with the screen door locked.

Even for simple security reasons - when answering the door, it's good to be able to find out who is there by talking through a security screen before opening - so unless the front door has some type of portal that can be opened to take a look, I'd expect a screen door.

Just do it.

8. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

If the tenant had not requested to install it at half their cost I would not ask them to.
    If they damage it they can say it's half theirs.

9. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

Omg ... Splitting the cost with a tenant???.. And I thought I was Jewish ! Lol:rolleyes:
    Maybe the OP is Scottish?

Its the LL responsibility ... Its your house..you've even increased their rent:oops:then have the audacity to try to charge the Old Lady half for a Security Screen door for her protection... And thats after you increased her rent !

A door that 99% of houses have.
    Yet your so mean and miserable you couldnt even cough up the money to buy a screen door so they could open their door in Summer in your hot no airconditiined house.

Never amazes me how mean some people are with their money and the Stereotype is on us Jews for being mean sneaky conniving penny pinchers ...I Just don t get it !o_O

Last edited: 12th Apr, 2016
    Lizzie, Marg4000 and Terry_w like this.
  10. Ambit

Ambit Well-Known Member

Hey I'm a Scot and even I would pay for it myself! As per previous comments, reasonable request and adds value.

11. Nick Valsamis

Nick Valsamis Well-Known Member

Rent increase aside, you could ask them to pay half but it would be unreasonable to expect them to pay for it seeing as it is an addition to your property.

Even increasing the rent for a screen door is hard to justify because you have the option of not installing one as well.

If it was an air-conditioning system then you may be able to negotiate an increase to have one installed.

12. Cem

Cem Member

Ok relax champ. I get that you're having a bit of a joke, but you're sounding like a bit of a ******.

Being new to property I am simply asking for feedback from those who have been in this longer than I have.

The property is just over a year old and has FULL aircon with floor to ceiling sliding doors. The increase in rent has been made after consulting the PM and has increased to under what comparable properties are in the area as I actually care about keeping tenants happy.

The request was made sometime after the rent increase. A screen door was never installed as that was never in the build plans. A large majority of the houses in the community do not have them as there are design standard the strata wants to keep too. I.e. certain types of mailboxes, etc.

I felt it was a perfectly reasonable request, however will now reconsider given the helpful (and some unhelpful) advice and offer to install it myself.

Hope your as helpful to others with your comments as you were to me

Thanks

legallyblonde likes this.
  13. Nick Valsamis

Nick Valsamis Well-Known Member

It is quite new then. In the end it is up to you whether you install a screen door or not.

14. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I would agree with installing it yourself. It will make the property far more attractive to future tenants and buyers on resale. And the cost will be depreciable.

You say the tenants have just had their first annual rent increase, so hopefully they will stay longer if the property is more comfortable.

We always considered reasonable tenant requests if they added value and/or appeal to the property.
    Marg

wylie likes this.
  15. Cem

Cem Member

Thanks all for your feedback

Advised PM to get the install underway. I'll be covering all costs

Lizzie, Russ and Marg4000 like this.