Screeining tenant_Identity information rejected

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Fabs90, 8th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Fabs90

Fabs90 Well-Known Member

Hi All,
    Does someone know or have the following result when screening a prospective tenant?

"Identity information rejected.
    The tenant details did not have sufficient matches across several national databases to be fully verified. It is important that you manually check their photo identification."

This is a 50-year-old person who lived his entire life in Australia, with driving license, employed, renting for the past 10 years, I believe at some stage he was on Centrelink.

Why there is no record and appears inexisting when checking databases that check the ID and use government records and a rental check on the Equifax National Tenancy Database (NTD) including the Australian Government's Document Verification Service (DVS)?

Driving license looks good, tenant ledger for the past 2 years issued by real estate agent looks good.
    Any advice or comment?

Thanks

2. Dan Wood

Dan Wood Well-Known Member

False positive maybe?

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Agent providing a non-discriminatory rejection to the applicant. Surely proof of ID would be the conventional 100 points (Passport, Drivers licence, Medicare, Birth certificate), bank statement, rental ledger etc.

If the agent required more, they'd request it.

Might have misspellt the tenants name?

Dan Wood likes this.
  4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Name wasn't Jason Bourne by any chance?:eek:

The Y-man

craigc, Codie, Ringo1 and 3 others like this.
  5. Fabs90

Fabs90 Well-Known Member

No, it wasn't Jason B.
    The message "Identity information rejected" was given by the screening database system. No misspelling issues
    Is this a red flag?

6. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Well-Known Member

Call the database operator and query the message more to see what it actually means. I highly doubt someone is actually running around with forged documents.

7. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I find it interesting that these tenancy databases keep any records at all that aren't related to breaches of tenancy agreements - I would have thought that was prohibited by legislation.

Justeps likes this.
  8. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Well-Known Member

Tenancy database has it's own chapter in RTRA Act (Qld) and the words "penalty units" are mentioned a lot!

9. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

Most of the time there’s an error in the check, I find mostly it’s an error in the DOB, ID or the name. Does the person that applied have an unusual/foreign name?

If they have multiple middle names, try using them all - or two in the first name, then middle, then surname etc.

Also try doing multiple forms of ID.

If the error is still showing, I’d just ask the tenant to present the ID to you/agent so you can sight it in person, or get their ID certified.

Michael Mitchell and Dan Wood like this.
  10. Michelle Evans

Michelle Evans Well-Known Member

Databases aren't 100% full proof. I myself have issues with my medicare card- I couldn't do a working with children check on line as it rejected my medicare card, the number wasn't recognised. It's a card the government issued, hasn't changed - you'd think pretty simple but... no. Have to do things like that in person...

Michael Mitchell likes this.

PFA Property Expo is designed in a way that visitors can gather maximum real estate knowledge with added benefits. Different speakers will be presenting on different topics as where to buy, when to buy in this market...