Scrap Medicare, mandate private health cover: NIB boss

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by JohnPropChat, 23rd Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

https://www.google.com/search?clien...icare,+mandate+private+health+cover:+NIB+boss

The head of one of Australia's biggest health insurers has called on the government to abolish Medicare and make private health insurance compulsory, with the government paying the premiums of those unable to meet the costs themselves.

In a radical solution to the growing crisis facing private health funds, Mark Fitzgibbon, managing director of NIB, said his proposal would protect the most vulnerable, while allowing the private sector to flourish without competition from Medicare, which he called a "government monopoly".

"[A] sensible policy approach would be to make private health insurance compulsory for all Australians with taxation devoted to subsidising the premiums for those who would otherwise be left behind. That is, high-income earners would at one end of the scale pay the entire premium while at the other, those with low income fully subsidised," Mr Fitzgibbon writes in an op-ed in The Australian Financial Review.

He claimed this would address an impending affordability crisis springing from the ageing of the population, as the number of people of working, taxpaying age falls in proportion to the number of ageing and increasingly sick retirees.

2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Only if you want to go the way of the USA - they can bugger off

p.s. I have had private health for 30+ years and have no intention of giving it up

EN710, paulF, Ambit and 5 others like this.
  3. JohnPropChat

I don't see how this will result in better health outcomes. NIB is a for-profit company, no surprise hearing this from them.

Angel, #house and Archaon like this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

So they have a vested interest? :oops:

Put the cat in the cage with the canaries......

5. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

That's a real vote winner right there.....

6. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

*shakes head* don't think for a moment that the neo cons in the liberals wouldn't love to do this (i.e ex ipa etc )

Lizzie likes this.
  7. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Of cause. Means more money for them. I used to be with NIB. Not bad of a fund, but would do everything to squeeze every penny possible from you. Moved to non profit health fund, much happier.

I can’t believe this guy thinks privatisation of healthcare works. US is a good example. Has THE most expensive healthcare on the planet. And it doesn’t rate well compared to Australia and Canada in OECD statistics.

... would you like fries with that?

#house and Lizzie like this.
  8. Air_Bender

Air_Bender Well-Known Member

Surprise, surprise. The CEO of a private health insurance company wants the competition eliminated so he can keep his shareholders happy. Someone should tell this bloke access to free universal healthcare is a right for all Australians and not just the privileged few who can afford it.

One only has to look at what's happening over in America where people are being forced to file for bankruptcy simply because they're unable to pay their hospital bills. Seems surreal doesn't it for the richest nation in the world.

This actually reminds me of that shifty salesman from the Simpsons who sold Springfield the monorail. I say we quickly kick him out to NZ (aka shelbyville) before he bursts into song and dance.

Last edited: 23rd Jul, 2019
  9. lmac

lmac Active Member

Lizzie said it all. Medicare makes health care accessible to all Australians. This guy can jog on if he thinks he can tear that up for the benefit of his shareholders.

#house, EN710 and Lizzie like this.
  10. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Switzerland has compulsory private health insurance. Bloody expensive though and I never got anything back from it in 10 years since deductable was 2000 CHF (high deductibles make it more "affordable").

11. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

We'd be better off moving to a system like Denmark.
    They have higher tax rates, but all medical is free. Then we can ditch the likes of NIB and other for-profit health insurance companies instead ;)

Lizzie likes this.
  12. JohnPropChat

We should abolish for-profit health insurance companies straight away.

shorty, wylie, #house and 1 other person like this.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.