School

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Sackie, 31st Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Only year 11 and 12 but it wasn't offered at my school... if you did it, you would have had to do it externally.
    These days it's changing though which is great...

I suppose so... but then again all that stuff you can pick up.
    I think basic home and car repair would be good school subjects too while we are at it.

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Also I plan to avoid the "normal" schools for my kids(as much as possible) , there are more options out there nowadays. Plus work on their mindset so they have the ability to "go through" school but be inquisitive and learn what they want to learn off their own bat.

I was a bread and butter student, maths, English, geography, science "real world" studies but I hope my kids do the arts or the subjects that "won't get them a job in the real world"... because you can do anything!

3. bob shovel

They do those, I did some sort of automotive studies, mad bludge! Talked cars and pulled things apart. Wouldn't recommend it. Changing a flat tyre is a one hour lesson, doesn't need a term devoted to it

At my school the kids at the bottom did some sort of "life skills class" which was paying bills, basic banking, other stuff that people have mentioned above but with the basic reading writing skills you should be able to open a bank account, pay bills, read a newspaper etc.

4. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I was struggling with Trigonometry a while back... i was trying to work out what bloody roof pitch to use to work out the optimal balance between setback, ceiling height and roof pitch.

That said, I reckon developers must be really good at probability, they've obviously figured the optimum bribe amount to councillors to get their projects approved :p

Sackie likes this.
  5. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Where did you go to school to learn this Bran? Unless you're way younger than I. Automotive studies? Life skills? Paying bills etc? No such thing when I was at school. Did you go high school in QLD or elsewhere?

bob shovel likes this.
  6. neK

neK Well-Known Member

@York LOL
    It was posted by @bob shovel , but the cheeky bugger has been changing his avatar lately. I quite liked that one of NB. haha

Sackie and Phantom like this.
  7. bob shovel

To much hate mail With NB unfortunately :(... But I'm getting some strange requests now! o_O

HUGH72 and Sackie like this.
  8. bob shovel

@York NSW boys school. I think cutting out the female waffle freed up a lot of resources and allowed us to stick to business

9. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

I use the skills from my "useless" BA in history and English far more than anything learnt in my practical training.

BigKahuna likes this.
  10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Hey!.. talk like that and I may report you....
    And that's rather sneaking putting that Avatar in!

bob shovel likes this.
  11. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

There's more to life than money. Although schools should help people be a bit more financially astute.

BigKahuna and Sackie like this.
  12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I completely agree with you that there is more to life than money. So much more. Problem is, you dont get to see/do/experience many things in life without more money.

13. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

There're also some things rich people will never experience - although through choice.

But stuff like learning Shakespeare has enriched my life regardless of whether it helps make money.

S.T, sanj, AndrewTDP and 1 other person like this.
  14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@Omnidragon no arguments there. There are many other topics that enrich people's lives that are not related to money. I do wonder though sometimes. If people suddenly forgot every bit of property investment knowledge they ever knew...how then would they view the importance of certain other pieces of knowledge when compared to what they lost, and would they be willing to forget other pieces of knowledge to get back what they lost.

15. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Last week I did the Cognitive and Aptitude test for entry to the QFES. It was my first exam since I have done since high school.

What struck me the most was this was an exam which you could not study for. No amount of cramming like you did in high school would help, because you walked into the exam not even knowing what it was about.

The study for the exam was your life, and the living skills and abilities you learn and retain throughout your life. Sure, there was some basic maths and literature, but then some of the questions were so obscure, that only a handful of people would have deciphered the question to actually get to answer the question. This is what sorts the meat from the sauce. I am not a University trained person, but what I felt got me through was my 'street smarts' that have got me through the 16 years since school.

I walked out of the exam reasonably confident. I was confident walking into the room having seen 2 things. First, I completed a mock Physical Abilities test a few hours before. of the 50 people who were supposed to turn up, only about 25 did. That's a pretty disrespectful to start with, but also about 5 people failed the mock testing, which is a 20% knock out rate if I get to the next round. Also, the 2 idiots taking selfies while doing the test would not have gone down well - idiots. The second was my Beep Test was the best out of the 50 who did the exam. Using the law of averages, hopefully this puts me in the top percentile should they need to decide between applicants.

The next round is the Physical Abilities test, Psyc test and Interview. I reckon if I can get to here I could go pretty well.

pinkboy

bob shovel, HUGH72 and Sackie like this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia