NSW School Zones Changing and Options

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by WPH, 3rd Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. WPH

WPH New Member

Can anyone tell me what your options/rights are if you were in zone for a high school and they have re-done the boundaries so you are now out of zone? We were in zone for Cheltenham Girls. Have been in the area for many years and always in zone. The boundaries have moved from 1 July and we are out of zone now. Apparently our local high school is now Carlingford High.

So I have two questions -
    (1) Is there any avenues/options/way of still trying to get into Cheltenham Girls or does it make no difference how long you have lived in the area?

(2) Can anyone tell me about Carlingford High. What do you think of the school? What is it like say in comparison to Castle Hill High or Pennant Hills High? (I realise we are out of zone for those too, however I know those schools better and can use this as a comparison).

Thanks for your help.

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Carlingford High is fine... my sister went there and finished with an ATAR of 96+.

3. WPH

WPH New Member

Can you add a bit more to fine. Our kids are quite academic, also very sporty, confident and keen to take on leadership roles. They are involved in dance and music. We are looking for somewhere that offers - not just offers - but really has opportunities for them to explore all of this. This is what we hear a lot about from schools like Castle Hill High and why everyone seems so keen on it. Is Carlingford High comparable or mainly academic kids whose parents had hoped they would get into James Ruse? We are not looking for a selective purely because we want the well rounded high school experience. Hope that makes sense.

4. Hamish Blair

Hamish Blair Well-Known Member

Not sure these days but I married a Carlo High girl! We just did a development together.

WPH likes this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

A bouncing baby duplex with a g/f in the yard?

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@WPH - you are entitled to have your daughters attend a single sex school in the area according to the education website when we last checked a few years ago. Preference is given to those who live in the catchment area then on whatever criteria applies. (brown paper bags not included).

7. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

I know of a few people that went to those mentioned schools..
    Cheltenham Girls - Nice people but think they are God's gift.
    Carlingford High - Super smart, super nice
    Castle Hill High - I don't associate with these people anymore. Unless I need to buy some drugs.

8. WPH

WPH New Member

Thank you. Did the Carlingford High kids like the school? Enjoy their high school experience? Did they get to do everything they wanted to do I.e. don't feel like they missed out on anything they may have accessed at another school? Carlingford seems to be performing well academically so I am not too worried in this light. I just want to know more about the feel of the school, the culture, what they liked about it (or didn't like) etc.