NSW School catchment zones shrinking

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Gockie, 26th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

image.jpeg I just saw in my local paper the revised school catchments in my area. Both Epping Boys and Cheltenham Girls will shrink from 2018...Epping Boys dramatically.

Talking about school catchments, I have a colleague looking to get his son into a good school for high school for 2018. He wants his son to do well in the selective school exams or else they'll move to a place so he can get into a school with a Good reputation, checking the catchment areas. He's been looking to buy, but prices have gone up a lot.

So I've suggested maybe rent in the area of those schools, get your son into the school then buy later? He could perhaps buy someplace outside of the catchment? Then another colleague said, he knew someone who did this and was "fined" $25k for doing that as they check addresses. I've never heard that before.

Ps. Apologies if the image is not rotated correctly.

Last edited: 26th Nov, 2016
  2. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Always a good thing for parents to be so conscious about their children's education as I am a firm believer in always learning and being open to embrace new knowledge but sick and tired of parents thinking selective school is always the way to go. I personally didn't go to a selective school and my father was so upset that I didn't get into James Ruse that he got drunk for a month after he found out I wasn't successful but now I have more degrees, better job, and foundation and base than majority of those guys. I am not a fan of the graduate programs in the workplace either as they spend so much time and resources on drop kicks.

But I do have a soft spot for Epping because that was the first area my parents based us on when we first arrived in Australia.

OnTheMarket, Ekin200, Biz and 4 others like this.
  3. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

What a great excuse to get drunk for a month!!!!! :D

I just had a look at the old and new boundary map for CGHS:

http://www.cheltenham-h.schools.nsw.edu.au/documents/2005269/2011372/no_3_boundary.pdf

Looks like a lot of people at Eastwood and Carlingford will be very upset!

For completeness here is one for EBHS. Cannot find a old vs new boundary map though:

http://www.eppingboy-h.schools.nsw.edu.au/documents/44757278/44763252/school_boundaries_2018.pdf

EDIT: Found the actual article online. Wow EBHS school zone size is really slashed:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...s/news-story/4e89ea8410771318b0a4ee94f43d0f30

4. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

I want to hear more stories about jins father. Sounds like my god damn hero.

5. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Same again for the HSC when I didn't get into Business Law but that year, the UAI mark (now called ATAR I think) was even higher than medicine. Seems like all the fobs wanted to get into that course when they could barely string two sentences together and got by with their 4 unit maths results.

Hard work prevails over a genius but if a genius works just as hard as you, it becomes a very difficult battle.

smator and Biz like this.
  6. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Your dad would have necked himself if he had me for a son then, I didn't even finish school! Hardly even passed a test through high school.

spoon and jins13 like this.
  7. Gockie

Would you believe my dad picked my undergrad uni course for me.... (geez thanks dad).... biomedical science.... his thinking "the body doesn't change".... he also picked my year 11 subjects... I later decided to change them after a term.....

Anyway, my first degree was Science, then later I did Grad Dip IT and a Grad Cert Professional Accounting.

I haven't really used the science degree in my life....
    And I spent way too much time at uni....

Biz and jins13 like this.
  8. Gockie

I couldn't find the online version myself so thankyou @kamchatsky. Cheltenham has always been popular. Their catchment has always been pretty small and shrinking and there's always so many families moving into the area so their kids can go to the school. It helps North Epping property prices... you'll be guaranteed to get into the school if you are looking to enrol for year 7 as it's very close on the map.

Epping boys has become popular, @Chilliblue said they got a new headmaster a little while ago. Still, it looks to be an extreme boundary shift.

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The thing to consider with school catchment areas is that both boys and girls are entitled to attend a single sex state school in their area.

Although we are zoned for Hunters Hill High, our girls school would be Willoughby (even though Riverside Girls is very close to HHH, not the pub) & Epping Boys would be our option too (vs North Sydney boys).

Don't think for one second that entry to a good private school is any easier - one school had <20 places available for kids who didn’t have a sibling or child of an ex-student.

10. ttn

ttn Well-Known Member

No surprises on reduced boundary as more units/TH are/were built in the area. If moved to the catchment area in 3-6 months prior not automatically guaranteed a spot at the school either. It will only get worse in the upcoming few years when more are in demand for sure. Other public schools have been produced plenty of terrific students anyways ... just saying :)

11. Gockie

I'll have to mention the part about moving 3-6 months prior to my colleague.... He wants to see how his son does in the entrance exams before deciding to buy a home in a good school catchment. It might not give him enough time if his son doesn't make the cutoff.

Yes, plenty of other schools have produced heaps of good results but part of the reason of going to a good school is to mix in with fewer bad influence kids.... Your peer group especially as a teenager can be a good or bad influence and set you on one path or another. It takes a lot of strength to ignore the influences of your peer group

Last edited: 27th Nov, 2016
    balwoges and Mooze like this.
  12. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

The mass development of units around Epping and surrounds has definitely changed the demand for local schools. Even Beecroft is going to have quite a few unit blocks next to station.

You never know, the catchment area will shrink further still as all those units are completed and people moving in.

My friend wants to get into CGHS for his two daughters. Right now he rents at West Ryde but will probably need to move to Epping/Cheltenham/Beecroft soon.

13. Ald

Ald Well-Known Member

Well that explains everything.

14. Loverenting

Loverenting Well-Known Member

Anyone thinks that EBH is overrated while Carlingford High is underrated? To me unless you / r child prefers single-gender education, CB should be an absolutely equal alternative to EBH, and CGH as well.

15. Gockie

Quite possibly... my sister went there and did fine at school... if you call the high 90's fine.

Last edited: 28th Nov, 2016
  16. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Sorry what's CB?

17. Loverenting

Ah sorry that's a typo. CH (Carlingford High) instead.

18. larrylarry

Ah thanks. I was getting a bit worried that I don't know the schools in the area. Yes, my friends in Epping/Eastwood area were lamenting about the shrinkage of CGHS and EBHS catchment. What can you do since the areas have become high density and a lot more people moving in. What's Carlingford High like?

19. Loverenting

CH school seems to be less demanded or less popular than EBH+CGH but the students performance is quite comparable to the other two. Plus it is located near the North Rocks Road with less traffic compared EBH being adjacent to busy Epping Road.

larrylarry likes this.
  20. larrylarry