School Catchment questions

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by Propty, 18th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I went to BSHS and I don't see what the big deal is. There have been so many changes to the various schools since the days when there were only ahandful of state high schools to choose from. Many years ago the inner suburbs of Brisbane became ghost towns as families relocated out to their McMansions in the Burbs. Then over the last 20ish years inner living has become fashionable again. The once deserted high schools like Hendra and Toowong have been reinvented as selective state colleges with individual themes, such as the Aviation and Science High Schools. Therefore getting into BSHS isnt as important as getting into the Science College or Creative Industries College or whatever, if that is your thing. The general standards have been pushed up in the recent past too, so your typical suburban schools like Wavell and The Gap are just as highly sought after as Mansfield. I suspect attending Kelvin Grove High and its association with QUT would be pretty impressive. Faculties at each high school are awarded Centres of Excellence status by EQ if they meet certain criteria - you dont have to attend Grammer, Churchie or State High in order to get an excellent education.

2. evalord

evalord Well-Known Member

I went to state high as well, the contrast between BSHS and other schools was quite stark. Different times I suppose. Like you said, the general standards have been pushed up recently.

However, BSHS still produces the most number high achievers.
    55.5% OP 1-5 in 2017 and 82.2% OP1-10
    Compared to say Mansfield 28.8% & 59%
    OP/IBD Public School Ranking - 2017

Under the QCS system, you're somewhat at the mercy of the academic performance of the rest of your peers. To me it's about giving kids options in life, and if it means that they can get a good OP and have a better chance at getting into the degree they want then I definitely want my kids go to a school like that.

3. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

So true, @evalord

Does the general public know that once a person is about 19 or 20 years old, they dont actually require an OP to get into university.

Do we also recognise that a high proportion of undergraduates who go to Uni straight from school, do not complete their courses? This can be due to several factors, some being their general immaturity, low levels of emotional intelligence and lack of life skills. The success rate, or completion statistics, for mature age students is usually much better.

My Tertiary Entrance Score was higher than that required to get into Law at UQ, back in the day. That TE Score has given me nothing in real life. I am paid a pittance to work with disadvantaged high school students in my local community, this is my passion.

A high-achieving student will achieve well no matter which school she attends. She will be self-disciplined and will focus on study above all else, will fall in with a like-minded social circle at school and she will not allow herself to be drawn into the negative influences around her.

4. Babesoft

Babesoft Well-Known Member

In Sydney, not sure if all but at least the very popular public schools will conduct random address audits and some will state on their website clearly that if you no longer live in catchment you cannot go to that school (these schools have too many families who get a catchment address to enrol in first yr, then move away but don't tell the school).

As others have mentioned, best to check with school you are interested in.