"School catchment" - makes no sense

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by fl360, 6th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Not rally your OP suggest the requirement for tens of thousands of dollars per year to do well.

Year 10 @$30,000 per year in extra tutorials That to me is a wild amount of money.

Im saying average kid, average school 1 hour working per night with your kids and helping them do there homework can lead to great results .

In my days I had a physics tutor from year 11 1 day per week for 1 hour and same with maths
    This was just to answer questions and make sure i understood concepts and didn't fall behind.

I did will and got a good UAI.

Im also going out on a limb and suggesting if a child requires 1.5hours of additional tuition per night he or she may not be academical. They may be better suited to a trade rather than academia.

L_auren likes this.
  2. fl360

fl360 Well-Known Member

that is the worse case scenario, as if the kid is normal, and went to a "normal" school, however trying a high UAI to get to a good course in Uni...

3. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

It is also worth considering that investing extra in a ppor in a good school catchment can be seen as investing capital rather than an expense (tutoring, private school fees). Assuming all property increases by the same amount then buying into a good school catchment is likely to pay a better return than buying in a poorer catchment and paying out the extra expenses. This is similar to the arguments about buying or renting.

4. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

I would add that in talking to several experts many years ago when choosing how to educate my daughter I gathered that the early years were more important to establish good study habits etc and we opted for private school to year 6 and then good public to provide a more robust social setting.

5. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

In theory, your calculations prove that you can save $, but in reality, imagine the poor child’s life having to go to school, and then being tutored everyday from the age of 6. For the sake of getting a ‘good’ UAI, the best chance for success is going to a good school (learning in the normal hours). Yes, there are exceptions to this rule where students at average schools do well and vice versa, but statistics tell you that the best chance for success is going to a good school. This is what the buyers are valuing when they buy in certain areas. They are happy to pay the premium. What one values does not need to make sense to another.

wylie likes this.
  6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

7. fl360

fl360 Well-Known Member

that's not what I said, below year 10 it is less hours per week, only year 12 you tutor more per day.

I am planning the same here, deciding rather to spend 35k+ p.a. for a private school, whereas the academic is average (at private schools level), or spend 10k p.a. for a good school, but have extra budget for tutoring year 10-12.

compare with others just spend big on a PPOR in a good school catchment, having a huge home loan, and all bets on that "good school" in that catchment. having no extra budget to spend on tutoring.
    (this is not in my plan).

8. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

I highly doubt kids getting a ‘good’ UAI are doing all their learning in normal hours. The reason the ‘good’ schools are good is because parents focused on education send kids to these schools.

A higher percentage of kids in these good schools will be going to tutoring and spending extra hours at home studying and that will be reflected in the schools results. Biggest benefit of a ‘good’ school is an environment of like minded people all aiming for the high UAI and the competitiveness and motivation that comes from the environment

KFC_8 likes this.
  9. fl360

fl360 Well-Known Member

that's my point, a better school in any other suburb, plus a good tutoring strategy can have the same possibility of achieving the same academic results as if the parents are borrowing over their eyeballs to buy into these school catchment suburbs - and could have no extra cash for tutoring.

in my title, the "make no sense" means the believe that yours kids will certainly fail academically if you are not spending 500k more to buy into these school catchment suburbs....

10. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

I guess this is partly cultural. I've never considered school catchment in the home location decision matrix. Always took the view that if the kids are keen students and want to go private then we will send them. If not, no dramas. Our 7 year old gets a bit of tutoring.

I was a bored and disinterested student....very poor HSC results. The binary concept of success/failure based on UAI betrays a lack of understanding of how the world works. I am financially significantly better off than all of my friends who went on to Uni and followed a conventional path, and I did it from a working class family with no capital assistance and no private school network, so I am pretty relaxed around the whole kids schooling thing....as long as they are happy I'm happy. I followed an unconventional path, making my own way. I expect that they will be able to do the same if they wish and I'll be able to assist if required. Life is a long game. @Illusivedreams see you in the neighbourhood.

sumterrence and Angel like this.
  11. sumterrence

sumterrence Well-Known Member

lol same here, I literally failed my HSC so badly I didn't even got a score, yet financially and intellectually doing much better than my friends that scored a good UAI.

I also have the same view as you where as long as my daughter is happy I'm fine as I always use myself as an example, but my wife does not agree with me and she still aim to send our daughter either into a private school or we buy in a good school catchment which you are bound to pay a much higher price for a lower quality house....:rolleyes:

12. pattoman

pattoman Well-Known Member

Lol no amount of private tuition is going to help when your kid is doing drugs at school.

Robbo80 likes this.
  13. David_SYD

David_SYD Well-Known Member

Better public schools = Results driven, willing kids

Results driven, willing kids = Encouraging parents that realise the value in good education and good grounding

Encouraging parents that realise the value in good education and good grounding = People who have generally worked hard to get the best from life

People who have generally worked hard to get the best from life = Is reflected in the suburb

WhereismyHouse, Shazz@ and Robbo80 like this.
  14. Ketsle

Ketsle Well-Known Member

14 hrs a week on top of usual schooling should be illegal.