"School catchment" - makes no sense

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by fl360, 6th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

And private schools can give a guarantee ?????? Safe from sexual abuse ????? No bullying???? I for one was bullied at one of Sydney's best private schools and the chaplin had a certain nickname which was well known especially by the boarders.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

This is the reason we chose a smaller, non-elite private's school. And our oldest was bullied as expected. Once we convinced him to allow us to involve the school, they dealt with it the next day. It was impressive.

luckyone likes this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I think from a previous post you might have been at school in the 70s? (Sorry if I'm mistaking you for someone else.)

Bullying and sexual abuse was rampant back then, probably still goes on, but much less hidden and rampant these days (I hope).

Angel likes this.
  4. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

Thanks @wylie. Actually mid to late 60s. I did solve the problem by knocking out two teeth of my primary tormentor - strike first, strike hard. Left alone after that. Never hit another person in my lifetime.

qak, wilso8948, Angel and 3 others like this.
  5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

W T F ? I never had any tutoring and I was always academically way above average. Like @Gockie's nieces and nephews, it's probably in the genetics and the household's values rather than outside tutoring. As @wylie said, it is then up to the individual student, regardless of genes and home life, as to whether the person pushes themselves to achieve, over-achieve or just cruise along.

@fl360, did you mean year 1 at school or age 1? My autistic son could read individual words by 18 months, wrote his first book at age 12 but states he is hopeless at Maths. I used to teach him "to read" because I thought that was "what you do". Apparently not, povo Anglo bogan families in Lawnton do not teach their babies to read English and Italian for fun.

6. fl360

fl360 Well-Known Member

Mr. Angel, please relax
    me too, I never had tutoring during my school years and I believe I am "above average"...
    I don't believe it is because I went to private school either because the school I went to is just average. (at a whole school level).

what I am saying is, for parents who don't believe in their kids, or their ability to bring their kids up to standard (may be because they are non-English speakers). they don't have to mortgage to the eyeball to buy into these catchment suburbs, rather they can just pick a "better" school, and just tutoring their way to academic levels equivalents to these "top schools"

7. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Tip.
    @Angel is one of the loveliest people on the forum. She is a "she".
    So, ummm...

Scott No Mates and wylie like this.
  8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

It's all good. And thanks for the kind words!

Gockie likes this.
  9. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

OK, sorry. I agree with your earlier proposition about not attending prestige and exclusive schools. Here I thought you meant all children needed tutoring in order to get anywhere in life. :oops:

10. fl360

fl360 Well-Known Member

opps… when I saw the motorbike I kind of assume it is a male thing... based on statistics.

11. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

*never* assume the gender of a poster..... :D:D:D:D

Unless you see a sig like: The Y-man

Gockie likes this.
  12. Gockie

Understood. :)

Btw, I'm a "she" too, even though my profile pic is of mountain bikers and mountain unicyclists. Yep, women do that too.

Ps. Would you guess I'm also attending welding classes too? My Monday afternoon reason to get out of the house. :)

Last edited: 10th Aug, 2020
  13. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Previous jobs around the house. PS, Girls were not allowed to to Tech Studies at BSHS in the 1970s. Boys were only allowed to do them in year 8 iirc, after that they had to do all University Entrance subjects.

Attached Files:

14. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Bell curve distribution? PC distribution? Natural selection?

Fortunately, many courses are no longer looking at the ATAR as the sole criteria for entry. They also consider the individual's participation in society whether that be school sports, extra curricular activities or volunteering. So neither tutoring nor a good school will tick those boxes.

Angel likes this.
  15. Gockie

Chinese parents gets their kids to play an instrument so they can add it to their CV etc (eg. Grade 8 piano) but they never want them to be a musician when they grow up!

Last edited: 10th Aug, 2020
    spludgey and wylie like this.
  16. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Might be true for many parents, but it's absolutely not true for me. School is so much more than a UAI (or whatever it's now called). In the ideal case, schools should inspire students and give them enough of an insight into different things for them to figure out what direction they want to take their career.
    [​IMG]

luckyone, marty998, Optimus and 8 others like this.
  17. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

well, this is not entirely true, parents get kids to play an instrument to develop kids in multiple fronts, the Certificate is a by product.

18. ttn

ttn Well-Known Member

can always rent in the area and after enrollment move to not premium area ... surely many people are doing that

19. Gockie

Yep.

20. Gockie

Knowing how to play an instrument also develops the kids.
    I think it helps logic ability and makes picking up other languages easier too.