Schofields Bushfire zone issues?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Jester, 10th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jester

Jester Active Member

Hi everyone,
    We're close to buying a our first house in Schofields as part of a new Mirvac development (bank valuation underway) and I just noticed that the property is within a Cat1/Buf1 bush fire zone.

Does anyone know what this means and if there's anything we should be concerned about? Is it worth still pursuing the deal?

I've attached the bush fire map from Blacktown council and highlighted the property boundary in black. I noticed it says certification 18/07/08. Is it just a case that the bushfire map hasn't been updated since 2008?

There's a few new houses being built around. I'm assuming if there was any issue council wouldn't allow houses to be built there?

Your insight/advice would be very helpful.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 10th Jun, 2019
  2. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

Buffer is not usually a worry but your lot looks like more than 50% Cat 1 and as such even if your neighbours have built around, each lot is judged on its own constraints (yours being more impacted than any others). Of course you can build but your flexibility in building envelope location and building materials may be impacted.

3. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Do you have a BAL rating for the lot?

Your Level of Risk - NSW Rural Fire Service

This is the main thing that determines additional design and build specifications ( which add to the cost of the build ).

BAL 12.5 to BAL 19 costs Update , now Bal 29!

4. Jester

Jester Active Member

Thanks for your reply Anthony. The house is already built by Mirvac with only landscaping remaining.

I was wondering if this will lead to issues for us later on maybe 10 yrs from now if we are looking to sell. And also if it will have insurance implications.

5. Jester

Jester Active Member

Thanks for the info Wombat777. I'm going through the house contract to find where the BAL rating is mentioned.

The house is already built and we've paid a $1,000 deposit for it and waiting for the bank valuation.
    I'm just wondering if this is big deal that should make us pull out from the deal now. Given this is going to be our first property, we don't really want anything that will affect the future of our property journey.

6. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

I really think you are worrying too much now that the house has been built. The significant additional cost is in the build to meet the BAL requirements.

The park opposite probably helps attract future buyers rather than detracting from a sale.

Certainly check impact on cost of insurance though if it is worrying you.

7. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

Yes, check the impact on insurance. The only other think I can think of would be any future extensions that you may want to the house.

8. Jester

Jester Active Member

Thanks @wombat777 and @Anthony416 .
    Apologies for over worrying about it. Just noticed it and we got a bit nervous as its our first property. Interestingly the Rural brigade website doesn't state it as a bush fire zone. Just the council website.

The park opposite is what we thought we be great for future and i don't think we'll be extending the house. Being a corner property, isn't much space to extent out front.

The contract didn't have any mention of BAL rating. Will look into the implications on insurance.