scary tenant

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by ellejay, 25th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Did you use the profile of one of our solicitors?

D.T. likes this.
  2. Kael

Kael Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, if the ellejay forwards it to her PM to address the concerns of the tenant, wouldn't the tenant then know "Gotcha, that's your email and you definitely received my email!" and continue to blast emails in the hope that one day ellejay would reply?

3. Ben Chifley

Ben Chifley Well-Known Member

Not nearly as bad as starting direct communication with her. If the landlord starts to email directly then she will ignore the property manager altogether and bombard the owner with spurious requests.

The fact that the tenant has already had the equivalent of VCAT out to her house (and they didn't find anything wrong) shows just how nasty and litigious she is. Just let the property manager deal with everything - including the non-renewal of the lease. Don't even give her an explanation when you kick her out other than what's legally necessary, just ask her to leave quietly (by the sound of it she will be used to that treatment anyway).

D.T. and ellejay like this.
  4. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Not really. As long as the PM isn't specific about the email. The point of forwarding to PM is to give the PM any insight that they may not be aware of that was meant specifically for the landlord. There is no need for the PM to acknowledge to the tenant that they got the email.
    Looks like this tenants days are limited anyway. January is getting close. I just hope for the OPs sake she isn't too wacko and start damaging things in the property since she knows she is leaving

Kael likes this.
  5. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

I would ignore the email. Your PM is aware of her complaints etc. If she wants attention then she has to go through PM. I would not react to the email. If you send it to the PM she is getting what she wants ... you involved. Get the Notice to leave going as soon as you are allowed,
    In Vic I can issue a 90 day Notice through my PM. We did this with the last tenant, who built a fire pit then cut down all my full grown trees to burn in the fire pit. Including a 25 year old lemon tree.

6. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Oh my god, sorry about the trees, totally senseless.

7. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Yes, I do expect that she'll damage the house in someway that will only become clear later. A couple of days ago she sent the pm a photo of the tree outside the house, planted by the developers when the houses was built a few years ago. You can see on the photo that ours has no foliage and the ones in front of the other houses in the development do. She was saying that a neighbour had approached her to say that dead trees need to be sorted asap due to some rules about green areas that I'm not aware of. Anyway, not saying that she killed the tree and it is paranoia probably on my part, but it did cross my mind for a second that she was behind it. Anyway, I've told the pm to ask this mysterious green warrior to express his complaint directly to them so that we can get it sorted without involving the tenant.

8. Ben Chifley

Ben Chifley Well-Known Member

Oh my God, that's truly terrible - what an a***hole ! And it wouldn't have burnt very well anyway.

Last edited: 26th Sep, 2015
  9. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I would not reply, I would not ask the PM to deal with anything in the email either, and I say that as I feel at this point she does not have it in for you personally, by acknowledging the email at all, even through the PM, brings you into it, personally (now your against her too).

10. OldElliottE

OldElliottE Member

The motto for dealing with folk like this is "You can't act reasonably towards someone who isn't reasonable!" Normally you'd feel obliged to reply when someone sends you an email but resist all the normal, polite urges here and try and think of it from the POV of a nut case. I wish I had learned this lesson a looooong time ago.

ellejay likes this.
  11. rhinsor

rhinsor Well-Known Member

Get the PM to go in for an inspection to take up to date photos in case she damages the place later on.

ellejay likes this.