Scammed at 52 .. Bonds..

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Pumpkin, 24th Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

2. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

craigc, Gestalt and qak like this.
  3. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

No wonder some of us like brick and mortar. At least you can see it's there. :)

Beano and Pumpkin like this.
  4. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Yep, that's my point. His chosen type of investment is Bond, something he is not familiar with at all.
    Could have been a boat, a piece or land or something else......
    Still sad.

The Y-man and spoon like this.
  5. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

But that's most investors would do (I assume) when their existing portfolios are not doing well - look for a different option. I recall recently there was a post on PC a retired lady discussing her investment plan post retirement.

Just that too much online services makes it difficult to identify the scam. I suppose if Tony went into a JP Morgan office in town the outcome would be different? Of course someone can still set up an office exactly as a JP Morgan branch...:(

Beano likes this.
  6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

He did the right thing - tried calling JPM on a public number and got bounced around. Unfortunately, JPM themselves contributed to the problem by not taking this guy's call seriously.

I had a similar issue recently where I got a call from a guy purporting to be from the RACV offering a refund and needing account details (yeah, what the???)

I rang up RACV on the normal 13RACV asking what this was about - the call centre had no idea, put me thru to RACV insurance management - no records. I said this guy obviously had access to my records, so I need to raise a security issue for information breach etc. They gave me an email address to write to with details etc.

Anyway, it took about a week for RACV to actually figure out the call was GENUINE, and yes, there was an adjustment on one of our insurance policies due to an audit finding were had been overcharged! o_Oo_Oo_O

The Y-man

Beano likes this.
  7. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised by the lack of response from the police. If you steal a chocolate bar form a shop you'll have the cops arrive in minutes to arrest you, steal thousands of dollars using a stolen credit card or any other scam they don't want to know about it.

wylie likes this.
  8. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Yep. When we were scammed $30k 20 years ago, it was ASIC that took action and eventually sent an investigator to take statements (5 years later) - only because the scammer did the scamming as a legit company!

The Y-man