Scam on Carsales

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by melbourne171, 11th May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. melbourne171

melbourne171 Well-Known Member

I suspect scam on Carsales.com.au. Looking at a car private sales with a "Great Price" mark, I contacted the seller. He made an appointment at an Old Steam Train in Yarragon (Near Warragul). I asked him why not give me his home address. He said that it is hard to find his house, he would bring me to his house from there. I went there but he refused to give me his home address or bring me home and he said his home is 20 km away from the station. Finished the car inspection but not go to his house.

Today, we reached the deal. He asked me to deposit money to his bank account so that he could do roadworthy. Because I did not know him, I asked him for a driver's license or any identification forms. He refused to give any identification and said he never gives his ID to anyone. I asked him other options for identification i.e. full name, home address, or going to his home. He also constantly refused but insisted on a deposit into his bank account.

I asked him if I can send car inspector there. I rejected this too.

Last week I could find the car rego on Vicroads. This afternoon, I searched on car registration on Vicroads but no record is available. Fortunately, I still have the VIN number and searched PPSR. The PPSR shows a new rego number for the VIN.

I called him to ask the reason for the rego plate's change within a few days. I could not reach him. Texted him, no reply.

It is a highly suspected scam. I reported the Scamwatch Gov.

He is an old man. He told me he retired. I felt that he was friendly at the 1st meeting. How can a retired and respected person do this?

What do you think?

inertia likes this.
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Whoever said he was a "retired and respected person"?

He sounds like he's dodgy scum. I'm glad you didn't hand over any cash.

What about reporting to the police. They may find him via his mobile phone and ask some questions.

Redwing, Truly Exotic and qak like this.
  3. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Report to carsales too. They may have further information from his IP address, and can warn others of the scam.

4. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Sounds like scum on Carsales.

5. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I don't think age comes into it these days,as some people couldn't even lie straight in bed..

I would ring the Police and give the banking details car rego make model ect,to make sure this retired gentleman does not do the same to another person who needs the car for work or family,as this is just a numbers game,you did well to ask those questions and the rest is experience..

6. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

I'd say its something that exists everywhere and always has, nothing unique to buying a car.

Someone asking for money while retaining the goods for whatever reason, no identity, uncontactable, meeting somewhere anonymous etc etc.

The surprise isint that someone out there is trying it on, rather that there are people out there who would actually fall for it.

By all means report it to the website, but I wouldn't loose too much sleep over it. Chalk it up to a waste of your time and a realisation that if the price is too good to be true it usually is.

Lizzie likes this.
  7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

... this bit

As long as people are greedy, desperate or stupid (or all of the above) enough to fall for scams, the scammers will continue to scam

8. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

My son found a great priced car on marketplace Perth. I researched the seller (helps to have admin friends) and could see it was dodgy so my son didn’t end up meeting him.

Gockie likes this.
  9. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Think I might just keep my old car lol.

10. Truly Exotic

Truly Exotic Well-Known Member

I recently sold my car, and the guy was very trusting,
    and it dawned on me, buying a second hand car privately, you could be scammed in so many stages of the process

even getting a contract agreeing on price, deposit, conditions, they could just disappear after getting the deposit, the car could be damaged/modified/abused, if you do receive cash, they could come back and rob you
    even enforcing the contract in Xcat doesnt guarantee even if you send in the goons!

the best/safest way I deduced was for both of you to physically go to the bank and do a same bank transfer/deposit, or get them to withdraw the cash and go to another bank to deposit over the counter

Lizzie and inertia like this.
  11. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

yep. I think I would be inclined to open a bank account with the same bank as the vendor, and do an in-bank transaction directly, and take possession at that time.

Truly Exotic likes this.
  12. melbourne171

I am selling my car. Received this email. Is the email below another scam or money laundering on carsales?
    upload_2021-5-31_10-21-13.png

13. neK

neK Well-Known Member

@melbourne171 That is a standard scam that has been around for ages.
    Never sell a car to someone who buys the car without inspecting.

wylie likes this.
  14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

We'd sold and bought a few privately, over the years, and how trusting we were handing our money over (or vice versa) ... would never do so nowadays. Car yard or nothing, even if it means paying slightly more.

15. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

Looks like a scam to me. FIFO sites would have plenty of phone and data access.

Also plenty of car scams on FB marketplace these days. Super low prices advertised for luxury cars, then asking for contact through a separate email, not FB. Always "posting for someone else".

16. wylie

Looks like a scam to me.

17. wylie

I've had that when selling. Two females, both emailing me from the same remote FIFO area. Probably didn't realise they'd both emailed me.

18. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

Known scam.
    If you ask yourself how it works - very simple: they will tell you they'll pay the whole amount for the car + shipping via PayPal.
    Since it's PayPal, the seller would feel safe, as they can make sure they got the money.

However, when you move forward, they will tell you that they put the money in a "trust" within PayPal and you can get it only when some authority from PayPal release the money (upon sending the car, or some funds or whatever).
    You will get an email that looks totally authentic, but naturally - it's not.

You can guess the rest.

PayPal has no "trust" facility - you either see the money in your account - or not.

melbourne171 likes this.
  19. melbourne171

Got it. Thanks.

20. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

They use a stolen card in paypal.
    They reverse the sale in paypal. Or the bank does.
    They have your car. Its then a civil claim on a person you dont know and cant find.

Its as dodgy as a $66 dollar note.

Report all such bidders as a scam.