Sarking benefits : tile vs colorbond

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Big Daddy, 26th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any comments or web links in regards to the thermal efficency (cooler in summer, warmer in winter) of clay tiles with sarking vs colorbond (light colour) with sarking (standard) for a two storey double brick townhouse (WA)?

ie. Which option is better and is it only slighly better?

House orientation is south east

Thanks

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Considering that there isn't many light coloured clay tiles I would say light colorbond would win.

You'd probably make more difference paying attention to windows - low E glass, pelmets to trap air, correct orientation/shading

But for an IP I'd just go Colorbond because I think it performs better and is lower maintenance (no cracked tiles etc etc)

3. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Tiles will always radiate more heat in than colorbond. Make sure u use something like anticon instead if just sarking, it provides a much better result.

Disagree with your 2nd paragraph @Westminster , roof material /colour abd then the right insulation can make an enormous difference. Agree that the other things you mentioned are important too

4. Big Daddy

Thanks guys. I would use anticon with colorbond and wall insulation if it was my PPOR but its an investment property for my dad. My ideal choice for an IP is light colorbond with no sarking. The tenants can use the A/C. Its 2.5k for polished clay tiles and another 2.2k for standard sarking. Market value or rent will change by $0 if any of those costs were implemented.

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I worded that poorly. I will always choose colorbond then look at windows/insulation.

sanj likes this.
  6. DanW

DanW Well-Known Member

Colorbond I've had 5 years of trouble with leaks. 2 small sections are Colorbond. Rest of roof is tiles and no problem.

All other houses are tile and no problem.

I'm not an expert, but Colorbond had been a pain for me. Could be isolated case but be aware..

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Short minded thinking @bid daddy

How long will it be before each tenant ups and leaves because it costs too much to run the ac in your place compared to the last one the tenant lived in?

8. sanj

Your choice, personally i think it's a mistake unless it really is an ultra cheap property pitched at bottom end of market

9. Big Daddy

Really? Every ip I have built from 2010 has been Colorbond with no sarking and no complaints yet. Builders don't even mention it as an option when building.

My current ppor which I bought established in 07 is tile with no sarking. I don't think I have ever lived in a house with sarking

So is sarking a must for an IP within 10km of city.?

rjw180 likes this.
  10. sanj

Nothing to do with 10km. We have a terrible tendency in this country of building horribly inefficient homes that require aircon or heating for most parts of the year. Avoiding that really isnt that hard