QLD Salisbury Queensland 4107

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Tekoz, 25th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I'm thinking to buy another property under $460k in QLD this year, so I have found this area:

SALISBURY, QLD 4107.

As per this independent expert review: The Avenues at Salisbury - Matusik Letter of Support - 19 May 2016.pdf it is very good and looks promising.

• Valued by 4 independent property managers at rental levels that produce positive cash-flow (after all costs) of $54 a week for the average investor, even with a deposit of just 10%
    • Already experiencing land growth of 10.8% (according to Qld Valuer General, see graphic box below)
    • Just 11km from the Brisbane CBD
    • In a lifestyle area with loads of funky cafes, restaurants and one-of-a-kind shops
    • Easy walking distance to the train, buses, schools, universities, shops, sporting facilities and right next to a fully developed bike network
    • Affordable for any investor priced from just $420k
    • And predicted to continue to grow at 5-10% in the coming year (as stated by Michael Matusik):
    SALISBURY
    Number of residental properties 2,244
    Current median $325,000
    New median $360,000
    Change: 10.80%
    (source: Qld Valuer General, comparing 2016 to 2015 Land value at Salisbury).

What do you reckon for investing in the 2 or 3 bedroom townhouse in the area ?

Any thought would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

2. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

1. You stated median as $360K, however looking to spend $460K.. Why?
    2. For that money I would rather a 3-4br house in say Rochdale South for example where there is good OO appeal.

3. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

@Greyghost I guess it's the old statistics data.
    The reason it is bit expensive because it is new property. (Off The Plan).

Greyghost likes this.
  4. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

Do you take our opinion seriously?

Bran likes this.
  5. Befuddled

Befuddled Well-Known Member

Free Suburb Profile report for Salisbury QLD (4107)

Townhouses fall under units.

Number of sales in last year: 11

That sample size is way too small to draw any conclusions from median prices. That 10.8% growth figure could just as well be -10%. Doesn't mean anything

Yes to the location, no to the stock type...

Perthguy likes this.
  6. Connor

Connor Well-Known Member

I've been getting emails from property 'experts' for months trying to sell townhouses and homes at The Avenues Salisbury. Always along the lines of "be quick only 3 left" etc.
    I always get wary of these sorts of promotions as every middleman and his dog has their finger dipped into the pie.
    I recall they were priced at 390K originally in May/June....

Also if the suburb median is 360k, you could probably find your own product at the price or below...rather than paying 420k to them.

Tekoz likes this.
  7. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

I am.

Hence I'm creating this thread mate.
    Last year I already bought a house Park Ridge in Logan LGA, and now due to serviceability, I can only afford to buy in QLD again, not even in Sydney West (Greenacre, Granville & Bankstown).

8. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

OK is it from Margie Baldock ?

9. Connor

Connor Well-Known Member

No, one was from Mark Rolton, Massland and the other a female....I don't recall her name.

Tekoz likes this.
  10. zlatan9

zlatan9 Well-Known Member

It seems that almost all of the well known property investment commentators in the media say to stay away from anything off the plan when considering property investment for capital growth purposes.

I'm not experienced enough to provide a useful view - I've been very tempted myself at OTP given how good they usually look and the impression that they are more likely to be hassle free renting (ie less likely for repairs etc).

My person thoughts are:
    - if one is buying existing dwelling from another seller, then there are much fewer fingers in the pie - ie either the seller or the buyer is 'profiting' from the deal apart from agents / govt etc
    - if one is buying OTP, generally the developer has a profit margin in there, the builder has taken their profit margin, the promoters take their margin, more costs being paid to the govt (eg DA approval etc) that by the time one buys as a seller, it's generally fully valued (if not over valued) so you're solely reliant on an appreciating market as it's more difficult to (1) buy below market value or (2) create value.

So the above is what's holding me back from OTP but then again a rising tide lifts all ships and one can still pay too much for existing dwellings. Just look at what has been reported in Sydney recently about OTP apartments being sold pre-settlement for significantly higher than their contract price.

Keen to hear other people's thoughts on OTP purchases.

Tekoz likes this.
  11. Magoo

Magoo Well-Known Member

I purchased off the plan....Delay after delay with no compensation for the purchaser. The market can change in 3 months so you need to be careful. I wouldn't do it again.

Tekoz likes this.
  12. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Considering the median house price is $548.5k and $415k for units as per the 'yourinvestmentpropertymagazine' webpage, the quoted 'land value' of $360k would most likely be the UCV (which is less than market value) of an unknown sized vacant block of land which is not very relevant to an otp townhouse o_O

Tekoz likes this.
  13. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

I think the area stacks up, but not the property type (units / TH's). Look for houses on land in that 400's range, instead of this OTP stuff. Or, if you really want one, wait until it is finished. Then wait another year. Pick one up at a discount that will hopefully have eroded away all the costs (profits) you'd have had to pay all those sticky fingers who dipped into the pie..

The benefit here is that buying it 1yo means you are still in that prime Goldilocks zone for depreciation (years #2-#5 or #6).

Tekoz likes this.
  14. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

Which area or developer mate if you don't mind sharing ?

15. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

@C-mac Hm.. that does make sense mate.
    I never thought that before.

I was under the impression that finished property will always be priced higher than the initial OTP purchase price.

WallyB66 likes this.
  16. Magoo

Magoo Well-Known Member

Toowong, developer FKP.

17. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Prices can drop or stagnate for OTP.

18. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Opportunities for student rentals from Griffith Uni.

19. Noobert

Noobert Well-Known Member

I've been looking at this surburb too (and nathan nearby) and found it hard finding anything under 500 not too run down. It's a popular surburbs with nice pockets with good turnouts to inspections.

Be wary there is a lot of resi development happening in coopers plains which may affect rentals in the near future.