Salary Sacrificing - Novated Car Leasing

Discussion in 'Money Management & Banking' started by tc123, 24th Apr, 2012.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. tc123

tc123 Tom

Wondering if Novated Leasing/ Salary sacrificing is a good thing?
    Does anyone else do it? Pro's & Cons?

I dont really need a car for work, in fact I get the train to work every day and only drive my $4000 car (fully owned outright) 2km per day!

Is it worth it for the tax benefits?
    From what I understand, the 'repayment' for the car lease comes out of your pre-taxable income..

2. GregReid

GregReid Well-Known Member

Tom,
    A quick answer is that if you are doing something just to get tax benefits, then its not worth doing.
    Purchasing a new or near new car when you hardly use it sounds like a poor investment to me, where the car is a depreciating asset.

Unless you are in a company or organisation where you get exempt or concessional fringe benefit tax treatment, salary sacrificing for a novated car lease generally does not save you any money.

Greg

3. TDFawaz

TDFawaz Tony

My issues with novated lease

Hello,
    I actually had one of these a while ago and I had an issue when I wanted to quit my job and get another job - to get a new employer to agree to take it over.

Because if they couldn't, then I couldn't afford to keep it. I was stuck with it all.

I was stressed out about it but it all worked out ok. I ended up keeping my job after I spoke to my boss about my issues!!

4. something_wrong__

something_wrong__ New Member

It works for me but i do about 25,000 - 30,000km per year for work,

So i have kept a log book and run about 90% business use, I do a log book every year, even though i dont need to, but it gives me the security of knowing i can justify my tax claim each year.

I used to drive a dual cab ute but now have a Sportswagon due to role change.

If you do that little KM i doubt it would be worth it, especially as i think they have changed the fringe benifit tax rate, Best bet speak to a accountant.

5. realestate_basket

realestate_basket Member

Totally agree with Greg here. It's not a good idea to buy something for tax benefits when you don't actually need it. Having a car adds lots of extra expenses such as insurances and maintenance any way.

6. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

just keep an eye on on your employer super contributions too - not sure if the law has changed recently but they could reduce the amount they paid if you salary sacrificed.

7. Little Tim

Little Tim New Member

Getting a novated lease is actually expensive but is offset but the tax benefits. The main con of it is as mentioned - you can lose that benefit if and when you move to another job which does not offer the salary sacraficing.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia