Safety switch and building inspection - Victoria

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by SamDee, 24th Nov, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SamDee

SamDee New Member

Hi all,

I have put an offer on a unit built in 1977 - the building inspection has come back with a red flag that there is no safety switch. Does anyone have any experience in negotiating for this to be repaired by seller or any insight into whether this will impact building insurance for the property? I can see that there is a push from the industry to make the switches mandatory when selling a property.

Thanks,
    Sam

2. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

I assume you mean a rcd (residual current device) which cuts power if a short is detected. It shouldn't be a big job for a sparky to fit one and really should be mandatory. Just allow for it in the price negotiations.

3. FrivolousPanda

FrivolousPanda Well-Known Member

If you've submitted an offer subject to building and pest then it will come down to the exact clause used in your offer so you should check with your solicitor/conveyancer (if it's the norm to use one in Victoria)

The Y-man likes this.
  4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Don’t think it makes any difference to insurance. I’m in Melbourne and have never been asked about this when getting insurance.

It’s only mandatory in new builds and major renos so the vendor is within their rights to refuse. I certainly would!

It’s not expensive to get one. The sellers may not want to have one installed, so I would get an estimate so you can suggest a decrease in price by the same amount.

And if the vendors say ‘no’ you know how much it’s going to cost to get one put in...

5. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

In addition, from memory, legislation should state that any property (unit/house) sold should have hard wired smoke detectors.....

Being a unit it should have these by now, but I'd of expected that it would have had safety switches installed by now also !

It shouldn't cost much to upgrade (unless there's other issue's).

You could ask if any electrical work has been done in the last 7 years, and if so ask for the electrical safety certificate

6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Not in Melbourne.

7. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

9. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

As per @FrivolousPanda - what was the special conditions you put in the contract?

It's only a few grand anyway I think to get one installed.

The Y-man

10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

A few grand! You might be thinking of a switchboard upgrade.

A safety switch is much cheaper.

The Y-man likes this.
  11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

It will depend on how the house is wired. Some circuits should avoid a RCD eg fridge power.
    NSW mandates the BUYER must install within X months of purchase OR if letting a property. I think its less onerous in Vic. Take a photo of meter box and discuss with a sparkie eg Hipages even

12. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Yeah we’ve always had to do the whole kit and kaboodle on the period homes

The Y-man

13. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

I'd suggest you delete this comment immediately.
    Rcd protection is required on every sub circuit in a domestic installation by law. Makes me furious when people who have no idea throw around false information.

Last edited by a moderator: 27th Nov, 2020
  14. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Yes - the RCD is important to flag faults in a fridge too.

I read that RCDs on fridges can ‘mysteriously’ trip at intervals related to the defrost cycle coming on - the RCD detects a fault at that point but it can seem to be random to an observer. The article mentioned old beer fridges being likely suspects...

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.