Safety in a Airbnb

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by MyDarlinghurst, 1st Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MyDarlinghurst

MyDarlinghurst Well-Known Member

The story from Melbourne last week has made me think of safety when renting out Aurbnb especially when the owners are home .

Ramis Jonuzi Was murdered last week in Brighton East in Melbourne RIP

2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

My daughter got robbed recently when she was in Paris airbnb.
    She found out this was not the first time this has happened in this particular property.
    Scary stuff....

3. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Sounds like you need to know how to defend your self or have weapons to do it for you or both. Its a jungle out there!

4. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

I prefer hotels for this (and other) reasons. Less thinking involved :p

5. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Plenty of people get stuff nicked in hotels - and worse.
    And that bloke in Melbourne who got killed in an Airbnb apparently had 'issues' and was looking for a crash pad. The theory was he upset the other occupants. It was a dodgy share house that used Airbnb to fill a room. If Craigs List had traction here they would use that.
    There is a story today about an Uber driver assaulting someone. The inference being taxi drivers never do that sort of thing. One of my teenage daughters catches the occasional Uber and I'm much more comfortable with her doing that than catching a taxi.

sanj likes this.
  6. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

Small statistical probability event. There are dodgy hotels and dodgy airbnbs, just because one of a million is not safe does not mean one need to dismiss the other 999,999.
    Speaking of Paris, I lived there briefly post-graduate and I don't think it is a safe place in the evening at all, some suburbs are worse than favellas in Rio, it has become more dangerous in recent years unfortunately.

sanj and MTR like this.
  7. tess_

tess_ Well-Known Member

My dad enjoys sending me links like the below to dissuade me from booking airbnb's.

I only ever book 5* -rated stays to mitigate the risks, but the article below seems to suggest that less than complimentary ratings can be blocked somehow. Is this true?
    Our Airbnb rental was robbed, and no-one cared

8. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

A properly evil girl in Perth who was obsessed with murder etc for years just got found guilty of killing someone for the thrull of it, she was an Anglo immigrant from England.

Between her and Captain Cook we now have to ban all anglos from coming to Australia, if we're to apply the same logic

I've grown to nod and smile almost apologetically/sympathetically when it comes to dealing with chicken littles, unfortunately they're multiplying at a scary rate and even my fearsome rage is no match for widespread stupidity

Ouchmyknees likes this.
  9. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

No it is not true.
    If both guest and host leave a review for each other, then both reviews will be published immediately. If one party does not leave a review, the other party's review will only be published after 14 days.

10. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

I have a couple of Airbnbs and my mum likes to bring to my attention every story when a guest has let someone down. I say to her, 'You want me to tell you every story I have ever heard about a normal tenant doing the wrong thing?'