Saasu changes coming

Discussion in 'Business Accounting, Tax & Legal' started by Simon Hampel, 8th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

There was some interesting discussion about Saasu in the MYOB Product Changes SUCK thread today, so it's kind of interesting the timing of this announcement by Saasu CEO Marc Lehmann about some changes in direction they are taking in 2018:

1. Saasu web app is moving to Australia-only, they have already ceased offering support for OS businesses for new files, and existing OS based files will only be supported until June 2019

Large/enterprise customers are being encouraged to move to other solutions.

2. They are building a new app based solution for small/micro businesses focusing on ease of use and simplicity.

I imagine that supporting all the different tax zones was taking an enormous amount of effort for their relatively small team and I also guess that the vast majority of their customers were AU based, so if you end up spending 80% of your time supporting 20% of the (foreign) customers, it's kind of a no-brainer to change directions - especially if you aren't see the growth you had hoped for internationally.

It does sound a lot like a capitulation - they really do struggle to compete with the marketing might of Xero and lack a lot of functionality compared to other solutions in the enterprise space.

Unfortunately, I do have my doubts now as to how much development we'll see go into the web app from this point - the language of the post (to me) is all "hey - we're pivoting, so long and thanks for your business".

Given the slow rate of development in their API functionality - it seems to me that their priorities are very much elsewhere.

Read the full blog post by Marc Lehmann here: Saasu Transformation 2018

2. jprops

jprops Well-Known Member

Hi @Simon Hampel whats your thoughts on the latest update?

Saasu End of March Update 2019 - Online Accounting

Seems like an odd announcement "Saasu is transitioning to being a multi-app company developing productivity and lifestyle apps"

"We have been building a new minimalist goal and project mobile app to help individuals or small teams achieve their goals and complete projects efficiently. This app has just finished the prototype phase and is now entering the build phase. We expect the first release to be around June 2019."

Is he describing trello?
    Will be a tough nut to crack, considering the likes of trello.com are free.

If you havent already done so, it might be time to join the crowd at xero.

3. Simon Hampel

Yeah, I noted the big whinge that Marc Lehman had about having to build all the infrastructure for the ATO from their own pockets:

Saasu End of March Update 2019 - Online Accounting

"The fiscal issue we face is that the technical demands from the ATO on Saasu are funded by us, the private sector. We get no funding support from the ATO whatsoever. We’re busy helping them build systems that report and collect tax for free, from you the small business owners. That’s crazy. About half of our R&D is spent supporting ATO needs and changes over time."
    He does kind of have a point - there is a heap of new functionality they have had to build to remain compliant with the ATO's demands for information from employers - first Super and now payroll.

Seems like a lot of small businesses really need to step up and get some up to date accounting software - ‘Netflix but not STP’: 1 in 10 small biz STP ready | My Business

"Just one out of 10 small business clients are ready for the roll-out of Single Touch Payroll, according to a new poll, with one bookkeeper stating that people are willing to pay for a Netflix subscription for entertainment but not for accounting software to help their business."​

I'm glad that Saasu have done the work, because I know it will be pretty simple for me to comply with my reporting obligations.

I will be watching developments at Saasu with interest. We do need competition in this space and Saasu has served me really well so far.

4. Simon Hampel

... and I have no idea what "Project8" will be.

Goals / Projects is a very crowded space already - really not sure where this will fit.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia