Russia invading Ukraine

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Properwin, 24th Feb, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

That host is deluded and brainwashed by Russian media but Khodarenok is a smart cookie who sees what's going on for what it is. Russia should have someone like him in power.

Lizzie and paulF like this.
  2. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Indeed, she is deluded.

Don't want to take away from his well reasoned analysis, but a part of me is a bit skeptic about the whole thing(Not judging his sincerity or character here). For someone of that status(retired colonel) to be allowed to lay down this kind of analysis on national TV, he must have had the OK from someone really high up.

Otherwise, we all know where he will end up ...

Nodrog likes this.
  3. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

4. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

5. ollidrac nosaj

ollidrac nosaj Well-Known Member

spludgey likes this.
  6. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

ollidrac nosaj likes this.
  7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

wylie likes this.
  8. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

It's starting to feel like the Russian invasion was the start of a new world war, only this one is more of an economical one...
    The west(US , Europe and allies) seem to be suffering more than Russia economically so far and alliances world wide are shifting. Argentina and Iran plan on joining BRICS ...

Who knows where as this leads but things are not looking that great for now

Firefly99, Doncossack and Tofubiscuit like this.
  9. Tofubiscuit

Tofubiscuit Well-Known Member

Not great for us because of geography.

China has been our biggest customer and contributed to the growth of Australia. Property prices in Australia is also a benefit from this.

If geopolitics breaks down, it be very hard for us to sell our goods to Europe and US. Cost of distance, but also China may have control of all the trade routes.

paulF likes this.
  10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Russia is cooking it's books on the BBQ ... don't believe any figures or propaganda that comes from official channels. They are claiming inflation of 0.1% but that's not what those on the ground are experiencing - they are claiming low unemployment but a decree was issue that businesses were not allowed to fire excess staff - they are claiming there are no shortages but many goods are now traded on the black market or are simply not available

... and - when I say "they" I don't mean the average person on the street, but Putin and his cronies

As for the worldwide economy - well - we were overdue to a severe shakeup and had, under the previous government, gotten blasé and lazy with the status quo. Australia has never really had to "work" as our goods were always desired - wool, coal, food, wine ... but this is changing and we actually have to put in effort into the future

11. Tofubiscuit

Tofubiscuit Well-Known Member

That's the problem with autocracy systems. Once cronies get in power, they never leave. Sometimes they even want to leave but can't. Everyone suffers.

Better to have our system, mess up the economy and hand it off to the other guy. Then point fingers at each other and we all just move forward.

wylie and Lizzie like this.
  12. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Personally I think new war is what the West wants, too many promises by too many governments, pension funds in crisis, US may have another 5-10 years, too much credit, unable to solve those challenges. So what may be the solution? I don't know if around 1-2 billion less people are around?
    Silly thoughts I know but why is the war in Ukraine continuing, really no-one is willing to sit down and find solutions? Economic war for now but time will tell how and where it progresses. Very interesting times ahead?

Doncossack and Tofubiscuit like this.
  13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Population decline is now a thing - so no war required. In fact, opposite is happening and governments/billionaire ceo's are starting to panic in the loss of growing consumerism, which is what has made the world go round for the last 150 years ... time for change

US is looking to bring in a minimum 15% corporate tax rate for income profit made within the US - means moving profits overseas to offset tax is no longer worth the bother

14. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

I meant overall population, I don't think it's in decline, approaching 8 Billion...?
    World Population Clock: 7.96 Billion People (2022) - Worldometer
    I think most pension funds aren't able to sustain future pensioners hence I am looking at a very broad sense thinking, lowering overall population that needs government funding.
    With such disparity in company tax how will Australia and higher tax corporations compete?
    US is also looking at taxing unrealized capital gains … that's scary IMO.

15. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

In the past few decades, war was the bread and butter of the US... Any country that tried to break from the Petro-Dollar was invaded starting with Iraq and it was mostly countries that couldn't fend for themselves...

That is not the case anymore with Russia interfering in Syria and now invading Ukraine, hence why I see it as only escalating to economic wars moving forward.

I don't think any nation, not even the US wants to go head to head with Russia or China and the proof is what is happening in Ukraine. It is a proxy war between the west and Russia and its allies and i don't see it ending any time soon unfortunately.

Doncossack likes this.
  16. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

MWI and paulF like this.
  17. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

Looks like the logistically challenged Russians' are having an increasingly rough time with the battlefield introduction of the American HIMARS last month. While the Ukranian forces currently have around 4 in their possession the effect has been immense as they allow them to accurately hit targets far behind Russian lines- think oil depots, artillery warehouses, command posts and ammunition dumps.
    They have a range of 300-500kms (depending on the missile system used) and can be reloaded within 5 minutes.With more on the way to Ukraine this may hopefully be the weapon that one day most turns Putin's dream into a nightmare.

Casteller, Nodrog and paulF like this.
  18. datto

datto Well-Known Member

What would happen if Ukraine started shelling Moscow?

19. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Nukes?

datto likes this.
  20. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

In regard to the HIMARS the US has provided them under orders that they aren't used to hit targets within Russia.

datto likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.