Russia invading Ukraine

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Properwin, 24th Feb, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

A Polish friend has contacts in Poland and Ukraine and she's found two places for me to donate to where I know the money goes directly to those in need. One is an organisation, but it is transparent with where the funds go.

The other is a young engineer who is feeding women and children refugees with his own funds. He is posting up the receipts for (equivalent to) hundreds of dollars in food. I've donated mostly to him. I've messaged him and he says the numbers are growing daily as people escape the war.

There is a certain amount of trust required to believe that these people are spending the money in the right way but without trust, where would the refugees be?

Brickbybrick, Shogun, Sackie and 2 others like this.
  2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Sackie and Nodrog like this.
  3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Can you post the links ... it is hard to know who to trust

4. wylie

Image 15-4-2022 at 9.06 pm.jpg Image 15-4-2022 at 9.05 pm.jpg
    The engineer's story is here, and at the bottom is the email address to use to send via PayPal. I messaged him with my first trial $100 donation to find out the best denomination (USD or Euro) to send. He thanked me and said however it is sent, it is converted to money he can use. He said there are more and more people arriving.

I trust this money is being used to help the refugees.

I have been sending money via PayPal to Serhii using the email address right at the bottom of the black pages (thumbnails below in black). He has responded to me and I do trust the people who have found someone on the ground, and trust my money is going straight into the bellies of hungry refugees, and buying nappies, baby food etc.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 16th Apr, 2022
    Lizzie likes this.
  5. wylie

My Polish friend also has given me this organisation to donate to. This is her message about them, and if you click their link, they show what goes to the refugees.

Support Ukraine!

Image 16-4-2022 at 8.57 am.jpg

Sackie and Lizzie like this.
  6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

7. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Ukraine Nuclear Weapons

After the collapse of the Soviet Union, Russia was panicked that Ukraine (now the third largest nuclear weapons state in the world) would not return the weapons to Russia. The West — led by the US — was concerned about Ukraine being a nuclear weapons state outside of nuclear weapons control regimes.

At the time, Ukraine had an estimated 1,900 strategic warheads, 176 intercontinental ballistic missiles, 44 cruise missile-armed strategic bombers and 2,600 tactical nuclear weapons — not a bad stash.

After lengthy negotiations, Ukraine along with the US, Russia and Britain signed the Budapest Memorandum, which in return for Ukraine relinquishing its weapons, promised that none of the nations would use force or threats against Ukraine and all would respect its sovereignty and existing borders. The agreement also vowed that, if aggression took place, the signatories would seek immediate action from the United Nations Security Council to aid Ukraine.

Cont...

References
    1. Lesson From Ukraine: Breaking Promises to Small Countries Means They’ll Never Give Up Nukes
    2. Ukraine Gave Up a Giant Nuclear Arsenal 30 Years Ago. Today There Are Regrets

yannpiot likes this.
  8. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Yeah they should have kept their nukes, Russia can't be trusted.
    A Russian neighbour was there near my place at the Costa Brava over the Easter break, seems they can still get away if they want to. Over 120,000 Ukrainian refugees already in Spain, 20K+ in Barcelona area.

Redwing likes this.
  9. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

The references to drones is this vid

seems to be confirmed in this vid along with unmanned marine vessels.

Hi tech, low cost material.

ollidrac nosaj and Lizzie like this.
  10. Casteller

Russians should be completely blocked from travelling, Friend flew to UK today said there were Russians on board. That shouldn't be possible. Their passports should not be valid.

Russia needs to be completely isolated at all levels and economically destroyed, pushed back into soviet era living standards.

So many Ukrainians here now, everywhere.

wylie and willair like this.
  11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

We also need to remind ourselves that the average Russian person is not responsible - it's Putin and his enabling cronies.

I have heard that over 1mil Russian's have fled Russia itself since the invasion started - whether this was for economic or personal reasons, I don't know, but word on the ground is that most of these are the intellects and artists ... which are usually the first to suffer under an autocratic regime.

To lose these people is also a brain drain on Russia itself

Biggbird and Redwing like this.
  12. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

A lot of people from the Ukraine are fighting, suffering and dieing to save their country.

It's time for the average Russian to stand up fight, suffer and die to save their country.

"Evil triumphs when good people do nothing"

All Russians need to suffer IMHO. Send them back to being simple farmers.

Why should the average Russians life go on as normal?

Attached Files:

Last edited: 24th Apr, 2022
  13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Easy to say when it's not your family that's being threatened because you stood up ... already around 70% or conscripts are refusing to fight, with their families being harassed by authorities

https://www.jpost.com/international/article-704475

This has become an issue for the Russian army, with commanders and officers of the Federal Security Service (FSB) urging refusing soldiers to reconsider, with the GUR claiming they go so far as to threaten to kill the relatives of refusing soldiers.

Biggbird and paulF like this.
  14. wylie

I wonder if ordinary Russians were not allowed to travel if they might possibly realise they (as a people) must oppose the leadership.

But I guess they also know there would be a lot of pain before (or if) they rose up as a force.

15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

wylie likes this.
  17. Casteller

One of them was just a few kilometres from my place on the Costa Brava when I was up there last week. Wife and daughter hacked to death he was hanging from a tree but indications that it wasn't murder suicide.
    Lots of wealthy Russians around that area.

18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Delving further .... they're have been 4 other similar "suicides" of exceedingly wealthy oligarchs within the last few months - and they're just the ones known about

19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

20. Barcelona

Barcelona Well-Known Member

It has been reported on the ground that Azov have been using their citizens as human shields. Azov sets up in hospitals, schools, apartment buildings.

This is a proxy war being fought between USA (using zelensky as proxy) and Russia.

USA funded the orange revolution in 2014 (or thereabouts) and ousted a democratically elected leader. It spent billions funding that revolution. Russian-speaking Ukrainians still remember how their union members and families (men, women and children) taking refuge in a building in Odessa were trapped and burned alive.

Since the colour revolution and the installation of a US-friendly leader, many USA politicians have had their fingers in Ukraine's energy pie. Think Hunter Biden and Burisma.

The Donbas region was given a degree of autonomy after Minsk agreements, in which Ukraine agreed to stop shooting civilians. But Ukraine has never adhered to the Minsk Agreements, and has continued to sniper civilians. WHO states thousands have been killed in Donbas. Putin has been warning Ukraine for years to stop killing its Russian speaking citizens.

USA and the Bay of Pigs. USA used the Monroe doctrine as justification for getting Russian missiles out of Cuba. Monroe doctrine states any government cannot arm any country adjacent to an unfriendly country. And yet this is what USA has been doing in Ukraine with its proxy NATO. Again, Putin has been warning for years he will not tolerate military buildup near his border with Ukraine.

Doncossack likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.