Rural Subdivision rant

Discussion in 'Development' started by Tufan Chakir, 11th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

I deal with Councils all over the State and have done for decades. I'm not new to the planning game. I'm qualified and registered. So when a Council planner, and team leader wanted to advertise an application for a rural boundary alignment and couldn't explain to me (legitimately) why they thought is was necessary, I pulled out one of my tricks. First the fiery phone call - professional but questioning.
    Then copy the planner, team leader and co-ordinator into an email questioning, in very simple terms the process. Bcc in the email, my two clients, and three local Councillors.
    Sent Councillor contact details to my clients, briefed them on what to say
    Strange that within about two hours the Team Leader contacted me to say advertising wasn't necessary "in this instance"...
    The lesson here is be professional, but recognise that if the action of Council planners are unreasonable and they won't back down, climb the tree, work out spheres of influence....amazing what a few phone calls and emails can achieve! Saved my client about 5 weeks, and an additional fee to the Council. Application lodged back in march and Council staff have been slack, but this was just a little too much. Grateful clients!
    Apologies for the rant

craigc, lixas4, Foxy Moron and 5 others like this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I agree with you all the way @Tufan Chakir

Oftentimes,when I don't receive any response from the authority (council or state), I will escalate the matter, the wheels start moving much more quickly after that.

lixas4 and Tufan Chakir like this.
  3. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

What a surprise!!! not....

Scott No Mates likes this.
  4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Public servants....they have a manual of how to delay and slow and frustrate. The value of engaging expert town planners guiding things through that are mistakes, unreasonable or just downright not required is a thing I hear a lot. They often know the staff and can cut through red tape with phone calls and discussion.

I had such a case with a objection to a major commercial development. Council sent usual docs and assumed I and neighbours all wanted to object. But when I discussed it they realised I could help DESIGN it before it gets to the dispute process.... to avoid objections. The design was illogical and left impacts on neighbours. Myself and another neighbour suggested they make it 50%+ bigger to fix the problem. This stops a roadway around the centre. The achitects just assumed they couldnt and Coles assumed the same. They halved construction costs by removing a multi level design and increased speed by keeping one flat level and using huge new undergound parking to address noise and closing off one isolated loading dock for noise gave them more space and roadway safety to extend further to the boundary rather than leave open car spaces. The larer space also helped their ambitions for more area for solar. This also set a footprint that council now wont allow setback to the rear so its a better secure outcome. The redesign had zero objections and became a example of how to use consultation to bypass red tape. Council would previously only use consultation to address objections.

Tufan Chakir and lixas4 like this.