Sports & Fitness Running shoes for kids

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Simon Hampel, 19th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Hey Simon,

How's the boy going?
    Has he got endurance for the 500?

My girl's 200 and 500 was bad, but got her on the incline treadmill for a 500m run twice a week gradually progressing each session and it seems to be working well to improve her endurance.
    She finally went sub 10 seconds for her 50m last week, but hope to keep on improving that now that she is progressing well with training.

Has your boy got 3m in the long jump now?

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Hey Ace - 500m wasn't so good, came in about 16th ... but I think part of that was that he wasn't sure how hard to go out or how hard he could run. I think he'll do a lot better next time. He wasn't that fussed - he knows long distance isn't his thing and nobody is coming close to him in the sprints.

His 200m was a pleasure to watch - finished nearly 3 seconds ahead of the next fastest boy. He's not running flat out the whole way yet - but I think he'll get there by the end of the season once his endurance improves. Watching him turn on the speed over the last 50m and leaving everyone else in his dust was pretty amazing.

Because of the rain, we've only had two long jump sessions so far this season. He needs a bit of coaching I think - he's getting great height, but seems to be losing too much of his forward momentum in doing so and is only jumping around the 2.70 mark. We do have some coaches helping out at tomorrow's carnival, so I'm hoping we can improve his technique a bit.

He's decided not to nominate for long jump at Zone Championships (will just do 50, 70, 100 and 200 - U7s can only do 4 events), so he's only really competing against himself for long jump results this season.

3. Ace in the Hole

Yeah, the 500 needs a bit more experience to time to learn how to conserve your energy levels throughout the race compared to the sprints.
    My girl has improved ok in the 500 going from 2.31 to 2.23 to 2.15, don't see why she won't go sub 2.10 next fortnight and then sub 2 minutes by the end of the year.

Winning by 3 seconds in the 200 is domination.
    No wonder he's only doing the sprints in the zone.

What date is your zone meeting?

I'll try and get my girl to break the discus record for her zone as it's only 14.38m, but she can do 12m now with only 3 of practice sessions with me in the past few weeks.
    Will have to think about which 4 events to nominate if you can only pick 4, as progress in certain events can happen fast.

4. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Talking about shoes...any recommendations for my 7yo who started cricket?

5. Simon Hampel

Our Zone Championships are on 12th & 13th December at Barton Park in Parramatta.

Will have to think about whether we want to head to Dubbo in March next year for the state multi-event carnival. My son came 2nd in our club multi-event day last season, which he was pretty pleased about given he's not that keen on the throws events and messed up his long jump.

We have one boy who is consistently coming 2nd to my son in the sprints and long jump, 2nd to someone else in the pack start, but is completely dominating the throws - a true all-rounder. I think he is going to do really well at state multi if he can make it there (and keep his nerves under control).

6. Simon Hampel

They wouldn't need anything specific at that age would they? I'm not sure what the expectation is for cricket.

7. larrylarry

Probably not and I got him a new pair of Nike runners that he feels comfortable in. Older boys in his team have spikes. He plays in under 9s and he's the youngest. Others wear protector but I don't think he needs to since most can't bowl fast.

8. Simon Hampel

Not sure about cricket spikes, but at Little Athletics, they have recently moved the minimum age requirement for using spikes up to U11 - our number one cause of injury (to kids and parents!) is from running spikes.

I'd strongly suggest you try and find a box that fits - even at relatively slow pace, getting hit in the groin by a hard cricket ball can not only be very painful, it can cause permanent injury (ie no grandkids for you!).

9. larrylarry

Noted! Hopefully he will come out of the game unscathed tomorrow.

Last edited: 16th Oct, 2015
  10. Ace in the Hole

Let me know if you are doing the state multi.
    I don't know if we will, but if we both do, we can catch up.

11. Ace in the Hole

Hey Sim, how's the boy going?
    Doing zone next weekend?

12. property world

property world Well-Known Member

I used to be a sprinter repped WA and ran against the beat underage athletes from China/PPNGuinea ect

If your getting sprint shoes then really these are ok for any feet. You dont wear them long enough to impact injury wise or the way your fit turns when it lands. So preventing injury really doesn't come into play, they are simple made for performance enhancing purposes.

Basically you want a hard bottom on the entire sole, if you go to your every day sport store i havnt had a look for a while but they will mainly have ones that are half hard for the spikes you want a full based sole that is hard.

All the elite sprinters in Australia juniors dont go past the website known as eastbay.com

It might not be that serious yet depends where you want it to go. These shoes cost upwards of 80 bucks usually. I didnt start getting these shoes till high school years.

13. Simon Hampel

Thanks @property world - Little Athletics Australia rules state that spikes are not allowed to be used until Under 11s ... and I think that age may be increasing to Under 12s next season.

We did consider getting waffles - but the advice we've been given from our club committee is that at this age, there are far more other things related to technique that will improve their performance well in excess of any gains that might be found from changing shoes.

@Ace in the Hole - yes, we're doing zone next weekend in Parramatta - my son nominated for the four sprint events - 50,70, 100 and 200.

He's actually going through a bit of a slow period at the moment with lower energy levels than normal - not sure whether he is getting ready for another growth spurt or perhaps he is low in iron (we've had trouble with that before). If he hasn't shown signs of improving his energy levels by the time we get back from holidays over Christmas, we'll be taking him to get some more blood tests done and check his iron levels and such. Hopefully it's just a growing thing.

14. Ace in the Hole

Good luck, let us know the results.

My girls doing a bit of everything - 50m, 500m, long jump and discus.
    She's been training with a kids sprinting group once a week for the past month and PBing every week at the weekly meetings, so that's helping.

The competition should bring out the best in them.

15. property world

property world Well-Known Member

Sorry i started aths training with a coach at 15/16 so never did the little aths. But yeh shoes arent going to improve your times seriously, training/technique and practice will

16. Simon Hampel

Well it certainly did this weekend.

My son took 3 gold and 1 silver from his four events (200m, 50m and 100m yesterday, 70m today).

Silver in 200m in 35.62 (took 3.14 seconds off previous PB of 38.76)
    Gold in 50m in 8.78 (took 0.48 seconds off previous PB of 9.26)
    Gold in 100m in 16.87 (took 0.88 seconds off previous PB of 17.75)
    Gold in 70m in 12.40 (equalled previous PB)

S6_2015-12-13 11.53.20.jpg

He's now only 0.33 seconds off the club record for U7 Boys in the 100m, which has stood since 1988 (27 years!). He did have the benefit of a decent tail wind at Parramatta - but I'm not sure how much that actually counts for.

Might have to get him out training hard over the Christmas break - 0.33 seconds doesn't sound like much, but at the speed they are running in the 100m, that's almost 2 metres behind that record! Realistically though - given they've had no specific sprint training at this age, there's a lot of improvement that will eventually come from technique over pure power - and that will only come with time and practice.

Eric Wu and 158 like this.
  17. Ace in the Hole

Great results there.
    I don't know about you, but that was a long 2 days out in the sun, really drained me.

My girl got PB's in her 2 races too.
    0.35 off her 50m and 6 seconds off her 500m, not good enough to place though.
    Got a silver in the discus.

I'll give mine a bit of a rest over the break as she's been pretty busy with activity.
    Good luck on breaking the club record.

18. Simon Hampel

Yes - I was pretty thankful that the weather was relatively mild - it was still very hot out in the sun!

We were all very tired after that weekend.

That's the thing - if they are setting PBs, then you've got to be proud of the result ... it shows they are trying really hard and improving, which is exactly what the point of Little Athletics is.

Doing well at the championships is a nice bonus - but I think beating your own personal records is a great achievement too.

Awesome - I've found that discus is one of those events that is easy to do (fairly difficult to foul), but really hard to do well (technique is everything).

Yeah, I don't think we'll be doing that much really - we're going away for a few weeks after Christmas, so the plan is trips to the beach, some bike rides and general relaxing. Not sure how much luck I'll have getting him to do laps or practice his starts!

I'm not counting on the record being broken - it's just something to strive for. If he continues to improve, I'll be really happy.

I think I need to get the kid from the other club who beat him in the 200m (my son beat him by 1/100th of a second in the 100m) to come join our club - I think they would push each other and would both set amazing times :D

19. Ace in the Hole

Yo Simon,

Your boy doing Little A's again this season?
    Starting soon, looking forward to it.

20. Simon Hampel

Yes, need to get my registration done this weekend.

My daughter will be starting in U6 as well. Will be interesting to see how she goes - she has a similar build to my son, so may end up being quite fast. Not sure she's as competitive as he is though. Being an August birthday, she will also be one of the youngest in her age group - only just turned 5 last week.

Main challenge this season will be that we're losing our athletics field just before Christmas - the council finally came through with funding to do the resurfacing, new drainage and such. Means we'll only get half a season - will need to make arrangements with other local clubs for the second half of the season to share their facilities. May have an impact on training for regionals and such. They've promised us we'll have the best grass track in NSW at the end of it all!

Speaking of regionals - my son had his school sports carnival a few weeks back, won his 100m final against kids quite a bit older than him (his birthday in October, so at the younger end of his age group). He blitzed his 200m heat (huge margin), but they ran out of time to do the finals so we don't know yet whether he'll be doing Zone for 200m - he's confirmed for 100m. Not sure if 8yos go to school regionals.

A bit surprised they're letting school kids (of all ages, including 8yos) run in spikes. The rules regarding spikes are supposed to be standardised Australia-wide now for Little Athletics - I thought it would make sense for them to do the same at a school level too.