Sports & Fitness Rugby World Cup

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Vacant, 20th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Vacant

Vacant Well-Known Member

Any rugby fans out there?

There's been some upsets already. Georgia always looked the dominant side against Tonga. Their defense was very spirited.

Japan will be one to watch in years to come. The addition of a Japanese team to Super Rugby will be a massive boost to their skill level and they already play with more heart than most. Their win against the Springboks will certainly have the rest of their pool taking them more seriously.

Being a kiwi I hope the All Blacks give it a fright. Don't think Sony Bill Williams deserved his spot in the side but hopefully he proves me wrong. Glad Nehe Milner-Skudder got selected. I think everyone is surprised by Waiseke Naholo's inclusion given he is still recovering from a broke let but if he recovers well and hits form he's going to cause some damage.

Still can't understand why Cheika picked Nick Phipps over Nic White and I don't know why they're persevering with Quade Cooper but good luck to them. They gave us the wake up call we needed by winning the Rugby Championship.

2. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

Go japan.
    Yeap my monies on the allblacks. And I agree get rid of cooper already.
    Argintina might be one too watch also!

3. Vacant

Vacant Well-Known Member

Yes, Argentina never fail to impress. The French always seem to pull a rabbit out of a hat too.

It'd be nice to see Ireland or Wales win the tournament. I think Wales were hard done by in 2011. Don't think they have the side for it this time though.

4. Sunny Bill

Sunny Bill Active Member

I thought my bro played quite well in the Argentina game. :)

5. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    Hopefully Australia beats Fiji. Don't know why Australia chose to play Quade Cooper though:mad:

6. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

@Vacant did you watch the AB's game against Argentina? What part of SBW's didn't you like? Came on ran straight, offloaded, set up a sitter of a try that Nehe bombed and changed the whole feel of the game. I thought he had a great game and should have got mom award certainly not Retallic who was good but hardly outstanding. Ireland may have a chance but Wales has none with their injuries. We (AB's) could put 2 teams on the field and still be competetive in every position and are rightly favourites. But it only takes one game once you get to the 1/4's and you can be on a plane home. I really do think that the AB's will handle whatever is thrown at them as they have the experience and skills to win from behind, they don't panic just stick to their patterns and know that eventually they will work. Oh did I mention I am a Kiwi?
    @2FAST4U mate if Aussie doesn't beat Fiji they have no hope. They should do it easily Fiji are not a threat in the 15 man game.

7. Vacant

Vacant Well-Known Member

Quite happy to eat my words there @Samten. Looks like he's proven me wrong. I thought his season with the Chiefs was nothing special though he has been riddled with injury. He just hasn't looked very sharp up until now.

The fact that he ran at all is a big improvement compared to his game against Samoa earlier in the year. Using him as an impact player is a good use of his skill set I reckon. I hope he just gets better. As an athlete he seems very dedicated and professional, I just don't think flipping between rugby and league has done him much good. His last year at the roosters was sub par in my opinion.

If Fiji get a sniff of an upset, look out. I think the wallabies will top that pool though. England don't look like they're as competitive as they'd like to believe.

8. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

Yes will be interesting to see how SBW goes against Namibia (one of the powerhouses of rugby ;)) as he is in the run on side. Agree he was pretty ordinary all year but as you say had injuries and against Samoa he really had an off game but the 30 mins he had the other night was impressive...the SBW of old, I just hope he holds that form. Shag is a pretty astute judge of rugby talent and he wouldn't have brought him if he didn't think he could deliver. I thought Maa wasn't at his best but maybe that lingering flu was still hanging around..
    I think Aussie will be too strong for Fiji even if they really don't know who their best flyhalf combination is. I think this will be their weak point in the tournament especially if they pick Cooper, he really doesn't handle pressure well and other teams will target him having watched the videos, against the AB's.
    I think Japan are a real chance against Scotland tonight Eddie Jones has done marvels with them, pity he is going to the Stormers next year.

9. Sunny Bill

Sunny Bill Active Member

I actually think Australia will not qualify from the pool stages and England and Wales will go through from their group. By winning the Rugby Championship in the lead up to the World Cup the Wallabies have flattered to deceive. The fact they played both the Springbok's and All Blacks at home in the Rugby Championship had a huge bearing on the outcome. Scotland should put away Japan quite easily tonight as I don't believe Japan have the squad depth to back up so quickly.

10. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    Hopefully Scotland and Australia win:D

11. Richard Taylor

Richard Taylor Well-Known Member

Just arrived at Twickers for the big game.

Common England time to shine now. I need some bragging rights for when i get home.

Where's Johnny when you need him.

Cheers

Richard

12. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

O Dear...

13. Rumplestiltskin

Rumplestiltskin Well-Known Member

Very embarrasing for English sport.
    Australia certainly looking the pick of the southern hemisphere sides at this stage, but a lot of water to go under the bridge yet. They do seem to have the right mix and the age of their squad should put them in good stead for giving it a good crack.
    I think the All Blacks are too old and will again fail to make it to a final in the northern hemisphere.
    None of the teams from the home nations have a chance of winning it.
    Australia France final.

14. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Hmmm

15. Richard Taylor

Richard Taylor Well-Known Member

Agree absolute disgrace.

Here's hoping we can beat Uruguay to finish 3rd in the Group and automatically qualify for the next WC.

Cheers

Richard

16. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

What's the difference between the English rugby team and a teabag?

A teabag stays in the cup longer.

larrylarry likes this.
  17. James Bond

James Bond Well-Known Member

This is a useful time for those of us who have dual citizenship.

JB

18. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

ABs 62 France 13 Pretty satisfying result!! Now all we have to deal to are the South Africans and Wallabies in the Final.

19. Vacant

Vacant Well-Known Member

That was a brilliant game. I don't think Les Blues played badly either, just couldn't match the All Blacks.

If the Wallabies play like that again we'll be taking on Argentina in the finals. I'm suspicious that could well be the case too. Feel a bit for the northern hemisphere teams, both losing in the last five minutes.

20. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

Yes I don't think anyone could have stayed with the AB's the way they played that game, France faded in the last 20 but the had been chasing shadows all day as they got moved from one side of the park to the other. No team in this tournament has played with the speed and accuracy that the AB's did in that game. Thay always said they had a plan and were working towards it.
    Really concerned that the Wallabies should have easily put away Scotland but they struggled all day and made so many errors and couldn't put significant points on with only 14 on the field. They look tired to me. I reckon Argentina will be salivating at the possibility of their first win over Aussie.
    I have honestly thought for quite a while now that it would be a NZ Aussie final but if Aussie play like that it again it will be the Argies in the final. Can't wait for next weekend.