QLD Rubble Pits - Brisbane

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Vincent123, 12th Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Vincent123

Vincent123 New Member

Hi All

Does anyone know when Rubble Pits were no longer allowed in Brisbane? According to the BCC website from houses built from 1975 must have stormwater managed in an approved manner - meaning stormwater mains, kerb/channel. I'm downstream from a house built in the mid 2000 which has a gravel pit. Despite spending thousands in drainage, we still get flooded during heavy falls. Based on the BCC website I question whether this was allowed, though it doesn't seem like there is any avenue to fix this

Vincent

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd call BCC direct.

We were told by BCC to put in a rubble pit probably 15 years ago because our stormwater pipes were totally clogged (70 year old house). But we knew we would develop the block, and it is all brand new and sorted out now.

Some time after that I heard rubble pits were not longer accepted by BCC.

One side of our street has no way to hook into stormwater (old suburb) and I know our neighbours there have huge retention tanks to cater for big storms.

Another neighbour on that side of the street was told they could use a rubble pit, but paid to have their stormwater run through the neighbouring property instead, paying for the neighbour's stormwater to be upgraded to PVC at the same time at no cost to them.

It sounds to me like rubble pits may be acceptable in cases where there is no stormwater to hook into, especially in the older suburbs, but if you call them, they should be able to give an answer.

3. Vincent123

Vincent123 New Member

Thanks, I did call the BCC previously and they were not prepared to give me a specific date. I've also asked the QBCC and they are getting back to me. Seems like its hard to get information