NSW Rozelle / Balmain - Western Harbour Tunnel

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Mark202, 6th Dec, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mark202

Mark202 Well-Known Member

Hi All

I am moving to Sydney and looking to potentially buy a PPOR / long term investment in Rozelle or potentially Balmain.

Would you be put off due to the tunneling which is about to start relating to the Western Harbour Tunnel? Wondering if it will be a nightmare from a noise / vibration / traffic perspective for a couple of years. Not sure if anyone is aware of the impact of tunneling from another area.....

Please let me know if you think we should avoid the area.

Thanks,
    Mark

2. unicorntears

unicorntears Well-Known Member

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If the property sits over a tunnel, RMS will not compulsorily acquire the property unless they need to access the land.

Boring under a property will only take a few days however vibration from a few properties away will still be experienced.

4. David_SYD

David_SYD Well-Known Member

I would be and have been put off.

Depending on the depth, it can theoretically undermine the property. Houses can experience movement too.

I haven’t been in a property with a tunnel underneath, however, I’ve been in plenty in London where the tube runs under and you can hear and feel each train. Different scenario I know but I’d need to see data before I considered buying anything over a proposed tunnel.

5. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

Western Harbour Tunnel
    take a look at the proposal
    spoil is taken away via barge

i would also like to hear some first hand experience.
    plenty of assumptions and rumours however

6. Mark202

Thanks everyone! Due to budget we probably won't be able to get onto the Balmain side of Victoria Rd so I'll need to look into this carefully. No idea whether you'd feel trucks / cars underneath your house but I could feel the tube running under one of our houses in London. I'd definitely try not to buy something with a proposed tunnel underneath. I didn't quite comprehend the extent of the tunneling underneath Rozelle on the Lilyfield side of Victoria Rd. Wow. Thanks for the links!

I wonder if it could impact long term growth of the suburb. E.g. If a third of the houses are potentially impacted by the tunnels then perhaps the whole suburb will get bad reputation even if you own a house is away from it all. Maybe not. Perhaps there will be no on-going impact on the properties and in 5 years time everyone has forgotten about it.... No idea!!

7. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

I know someone who has property above the Rozelle Interchange. As I understand the land below (well below) the properties in that area had been compulsory acquired. He has not heard or felt anything in respect to the tunnelling so I'm not sure there will be any issues with ongoing traffic given that this process would be more intensive (but don't know where they're up to).

I suspect this infrastructure will improve the area considerably by releasing a heap of traffic that used to go through the suburbs travelling to outer suburbs. Market is very strong at the minute including recent sales located above the mapped routes so I think many are not concerned.

bmc likes this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Rubber tyres vs metal wheels on sleepers. Big difference in noise levels, loading and vibration.

See Change likes this.
  9. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

We manage a property in Rozelle where the tunneling has been happening the past few months. The land below was acquired. Have 2 sets of tenants there who are often WFH but neither have mentioned any noise issues. I think it depends a lot on the depth and structure/subsoil. There's a lot of sandstone in the inner west. I haven't seen it impact prices in the area overall.

10. Mark202

Thanks a lot for the information guys. Very helpful!!

11. Clive Palmer's Yacht

Clive Palmer's Yacht Well-Known Member

12. Mark202

That is nuts. I had a look at that property last weekend. It’s very nice but $2.4m...? Wow.

I am now renting in the area and haven’t noticed anything related to the tunneling work (yet?).

13. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

That is a big price for a house with only 1 bathroom! I think the tunneling in that part of Rozelle is almost finished now.