Rouse Hill (Blacktown Council) Vs Box Hill

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Chanlas, 13th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Where would you love to live

1. Rouse Hill (Blacktown council)

76.9%
  2. Box Hill

23.1%
  1. Chanlas

Chanlas Member

Hey all

I’m a newbie here

We are currently tossing between buying a land to build our home in either Rouse Hill (part of Blacktown council) Or Box Hill.

We are aware that both these areas have a potential to grow but they both seem very very rural at the moment and growth is very slow (road development and other infrastructure etc) compared to some of the other emerging new estates.

Would love to hear from anyone who has invested in either of these areas to live.

P.s proximity to trains/metro is not a major concern as we mostly WFH.

2. richy

richy Active Member

I recently bought a block in that area of Rouse Hill near Tallawong Station. At the moment I don't think there are any other available blocks for sale as most will be be house and land packages with builders. There is growth already in terms of price increases in both areas but those are driven by the government grants. It would be interesting what would happen once that stops.

I've also considered Box Hill before because it's cheaper there but decided against it in the end because it's just too far away from anything and there are no transportation options at all right now and in the near future. In my opinion Box Hill is hyped because it's in the Hills District and that's what drives its prices up but apart from that I don't see any positives. I'd rather pick a block in Schofields within 1-1.5km to the train station.

nova and Chanlas like this.
  3. Chanlas

Chanlas Member

Thank you!!. Exactly our thoughts.

One more thing, Do you know if there’s a plan to demolish those rural properties at the top of Tallawong Road and those land to be developed and subdivided? It’s not currently giving a good first impression when you enter the suburb as opposed to other neighbouring suburbs like The Ponds, if you know what I mean.

Also when do you expect this part of Rouse Hill to be fully completed?

sorry for too many questions.

4. richy

richy Active Member

I’m not sure if those rural properties will be sold. There are a few acreages are already for sale along Cudgegong Road. Keep in mind all blocks after Macquarie Road are zoned R3 which means they will be built as townhouses not as free standing ones.

I am not sure when the entire area will be developed like The Ponds but it will take 5 years minimum. As far as I know the areas around the metro station including the proposed town centre and apartments will be completed in at least 2-3years. Construction for those establishments could start late 2021.

Source: https://metronorthwestplaces.landcom.com.au/projects/tallawong-project/

wombat777 and Chanlas like this.
  5. Bluechips

Bluechips Well-Known Member

What are your guys thoughts on Tallawong v.s. Rouse Hill Heights (technically Box Hill)? I can get a house and land for 1.1mil on a tiny block 230m2 15min walking distance to Tallawong station and the future Rouse Hill Hospital. Essentially, it's a torrent title "townhouse" put it this way... Alternatively, I can purchase a house and land for 1mil at Rouse Hill Heights on a 260-300m2 block. but it's further away from the station. Only upside of this one is it's part of Hills Shire Council...people seems to have preference of Hills over Blacktown...

6. Chanlas

Chanlas Member

Have you had a look at Orchard Grove Rouse Hill? They have H&L for 1.1mn.
    I have come to realise it’s the Post Code or suburb name that matters when it comes to Rouse Hill over what council it belongs.

7. richy

richy Active Member

I might be biased because I bought in the Blacktown part of Rouse Hill because I value proximity to the train station rather than to which council it falls under.

Rouse Hill near Tallawong Metro:
    Pros:
    1. Close proximity to Tallawong Station.
    2. There is a shopping village to be built near Tallawong Station.
    3. Blocks usually have a 9.5 to 10m frontage with 30m depth. There are heaps of floorplans from volume builders to choose from.
    4. Because of #3, You have the flexibility to build a single or a double storey house.

Cons:
    1. Some people think resale will not be as good as its Hills’s counterpart since it’s in Blacktown Council.
    2. There will be apartments and townhouses to be built closer to Tallawong station so population might be denser than it is already.

Rouse Hill Heights:
    Pros:
    1. There are more blocks available with wider frontages.
    2. It’s under Hill’s council (like you said).
    3. Closer to the future Rouse Hill Hospital.

Cons:
    1. Most lots are shallow in terms of depth. Most packages you see available are double storey ones which means you building a single storey might be a challenge. You lose a bit of flexibility because some people prefer single storey homes.
    2. It’s near a transmission tower along Annangrove Road.
    3. Not walking distance to the train station.

I reckon it all boils down to what you value more.

8. Car tart

Car tart Well-Known Member

Wow how times have changed!

You knock our ugly $15 million homes on 2 hectares and ask us when will they be knocked down to make way for beautiful 270 square metre blocks, townhouses and home units.
    Well I’m sorry to say that State parliament hasn’t decided to gazette the rezoning of this area yet because of the risk in flooding at the Richmond Road end. I know it’s miles away but the government works in mysterious ways. They want access from both sides of the estates. Mine is on Guntawong.
    Please enjoy the beautiful greenery in the area while it lasts. It is Rouse Hill and definitely not Box Hill.

9. Bluechips

Bluechips Well-Known Member

Thanks for the insights. The place I'm looking at is on Cudgegon Rd, just a stone throw away from Rouse Hill regional park. A couple of developers just begin selling house and lands. One of the estate is actually zoned for R3 but they decide to build torrent title houses, as there might be a oversupply of units in near term. But of course, they still need to optimise their profits. Hence, the lots are tiny... Less than 250m2
    I quite like the location though. 15min stroll to the metro station and also about 15min to the new site of Rouse Hill Hospital.
    Apartments are not necessarily a bad thing for the development of the area I think, it creates more foot traffic for retails. Without apartments, no one is gonna sign up lease for shops.

I still haven't ruled out the option of Rouse Hill Heights though. It is gonna be 100k cheaper on a slightly bigger lot. The master plan from Hills Council looks pretty good but I bet it will take more than 10 years to achieve what they have planned. Look at North Kellyville, you will know what I mean....

10. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

Probably not what you want to hear but...I wouldn't invest in either of those suburbs. I've lived in the area all my life and would much rather invest in Seven Hills, Kings Langley, Quakers Hills areas...We built in Beaumont Hills 15 years ago, then moved to Kellyville Ridge and now living in Castle Hill. Windsor Road was a nightmare 5 years ago and has only got worse since. The metro has done nothing to ease the traffic and it will only get much worse.

Hsruby likes this.
  11. Arthurark

Arthurark Well-Known Member

Not a fan of these areas and the services are low. Light rail simply doesn’t justify the proposition. Particularly as you go further north extreme weather and flooding becomes a consideration also. Had a mate who moved out Box Hill way and spent the next 2 years commuting up and down Windsor/Richmond road. Said his wife thought he was having an affair.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.