NSW Rosehill good suburb for PPOR?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Jester, 8th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Jester

Jester Active Member

Hi all,
    Just wanted to get people’s opinion on whether Rosehill is a good suburb to buy a PPOR.
    We’re a young couple on $130,000 combined income looking to start a family and buy our first PPOR. The plan was to live here for a couple of years and then rent it out and move to a place with better high schools.
    What attracted us to Rosehill is the ‘quiteness’ of the area yet being close to Parramatta. The train line isn’t great but a 5 min bus to parramatta connects you to good transport hub.
    The property we saw was a 3 bed + 1 study townhouse for $750k mark. Strata was $900/q which we thought was a bit expensive given the property hardly had any common spaces.
    Your thoughts and opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks !!

2. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

No comment on the figures but as a place to live its great. Close to parramatta not right in the middle of town. Easy M4 access (though i guess you gotta pay tolls if going eastbound). Rental demand is high (if you ever need to leave)

Depends on where in rosehill but you could walk to parramatta or granville station or even harris park station (not as desirable as the previous two)

Jester likes this.
  3. krispy

krispy Well-Known Member

I live pretty close by and my kids went to the Preschool in Rosehill public school many years ago. It seems to be an area with lots of families, mostly indian, Lebanese and Sudanese moving in and really close to everything. I love the multicultural feel of it. Transport is close Even more so with the light rail coming close by.
    Nice parks around and and woolworths close and the doctors next door are fantastic. It is on the outskirts of a big Western Sydney city so you still have the occasional problems that brings but also close enough that you can enjoy the city as well.
    Public schools in the area are not great academically on paper but I have friends with kids who go there and they have been happy enough.
    What i would look more into is the cost of your PPR. There is an oversupply of units and townhouses in Parramatta and development is spreading out as well and may affect Rosehill as well in the future. With high strata as well its going to be a long time before its positive geared and making you money and capital gains with more supply coming in the area might not be great too.
    We so much available to rent atm I would consider doing that first and see if this is the area you want to raise a family and if it works for you with transport etc to have a clearer picture if its right for you.

Jester likes this.
  4. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

It really depends on your criteria (minimum beds, baths, car) and budget as for another $50K you can get into housing in nearby suburbs further north. How important is transport to you? The Carlingford line is a pain as you have to change at Clyde, and you're not going to get townhouses close to Parramatta station for $750K. Also keep in mind that Rosehill (depending on where you buy) has an industrial side as well as the racecourse so may not be as appealing to home owners compared to other surrounding suburbs.

krispy and Jester like this.
  5. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

I agree with Jacque, the train line isn't great, with having to change at Clyde, and the industrial feel isn't too nice.

Checking a few suburbs west of Parramatta may be worthwhile too - the only downside is slower train line.

Jester and meni like this.
  6. meni

meni Member

I lived in Rosehill for a few years, directly opposite the Rosehill train station.

The train line is extremely bad. Having to change at Clyde is terrible, more so on the way back home from work. Secondly you get plenty of noise and drunken patrons whenever the horse racing is on.

It's ok for a short time but after a while those negatives get to you and outweigh the positives. I ended up moving to North Parramatta.

Jester and lamecrocs like this.
  7. Jester

Jester Active Member

Thanks everyone for your insights. Some good points to think about.
    Agree that there is the industrial side and the racecourse but there are some nice residential areas near Harris Park and Parramatta.
    The train line is pretty bad but the close proximity to the Parramatta CBD seems good. Haven’t seen a lot of townhouses available here but will start looking at other nearby areas too.

meni likes this.
  8. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Do you mean to say:
    > The townhouses in the area are tightly held?

OR

> The area doesn't have too many townhouses?

Either way, if you will be building a portfolio down the track and looking to re-value and tap into the equity, the lack of comparables will make it very hard to get any equity out for further investing.

9. Jester

Jester Active Member

Thanks @Jacque. Haven’t seen a lot of nice areas around here within this price range or lesser. Carlingford seems like a nice area but way too outside out price range and public transport seems to be a nightmare there

10. Jester

Jester Active Member

I think it’s a bit of both actually. Not a lot of renovated townhouses within the area and of the ones that are there, there doesn’t seem to be a lot on the market

Property Twins likes this.
  11. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

$900K may squeeze you into a basic 3x1 Baulkham Hills or Winston Hills house. Not my cup of tea but schools are good, it's family friendly etc.

12. krispy

krispy Well-Known Member

Yes I would also suggest North Parramatta for around the same price. It really also depends where in Rosehill as well.

13. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

East hills, Liverpool?

East hils is a better train service in my opinion

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.