Rorts - Pork Barrelling - whatever you call it

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Lizzie, 14th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

Ok fair enough. Did you post about the Gillard pork barrelling when it occurred or not ?

MTR likes this.
  2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Not sure what you're accusing me off ... who on here is hiding what? I have no side

3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

... what the **** has that got to do with the issue at hand? The fact that the current government is using taxpayer funds in a corrupt manner?

It was discussed on the precursor to PC - Somersoft - Search Results for Query: gillard | Somersoft

geoffw likes this.
  4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure. Probably not. And I didn't post about it this time either until this last post. But that is relevant how?

The whole line of argument is just diversion.

spludgey likes this.
  5. Serveman

I rest my case.

MTR likes this.
  6. geoffw

Really?

This thread is about pork barreling, not about what I may or may not have posted in another forum six years ago. That's a diversion from the topic of the thread.

Did politicians pork barrel before the last election? It would appear so.

Did the ALP pork barrel under Gillard in 2014? Probably.

Did GeoffW post about it in 2014? Wow! We have the main issue here. Let's forget about politicians. We have the important issue covered.

7. Serveman

We don’t seem to talk about all political and ideological sides much when it comes to corruption much in this forum.
    All of us know that there are societal problems when it comes to nepotism and corruption right down to the individual family, small business and local government, our universities and politics. We recognise the problem and therefore we discuss what progress can be made by implementing a solution, and the solution with funding allocation is to detail the criteria that all funding should should be made so it is transparent that the funding was made according to the correct criteria. Then you have to ask what is the correct criteria and how does one order it in terms of importance. This is the solution.
    We must also be mindful that there are many issues right now that challenge the notion of meritocracy that we seem to ignore in decision making including equality of outcome which is being legislated everywhere.

MTR likes this.
  8. MangoMadness

MangoMadness Well-Known Member

I think the point trying to be made is it is often blatantly obvious that one side of politics or an issue never calls out someone from their side doing something unsavory but as soon as someone on the other side of the spectrum does the same thing the blinkers come off and accusations fly thick and fast.

We see it all the time, "Trump is bad cos...." well Obama did the same thing and for 8 years you turned a blind eye, why are you so upset about it now?

MTR and Serveman like this.
  9. MangoMadness

MangoMadness Well-Known Member

On pork barelling, I wish I lived in a marginal or swing seat. Why would a government spend money on a strong seat (either way) as they either will generally still hold it or never gain it.

Its the swing seats that get the best :)

MTR and Serveman like this.
  10. geoffw

This is a discussion about Australian politics. Discuss about US politics has been explicitly banned in the forum - because it leads to far too much moderation work. This sort of work isn't needed for Australian political discussions, which says something in itself. While there are strong political views expressed from both sides, the discussions in general don't get as heated, so they're allowed to continue.

The thread is about pork barreling. Perhaps it should be allowed to return to topic. Start another thread if you would like this topic to continue.

11. geoffw

I agree.

My parents used to complain that they didn't ever get the same attention in a strong National electorate than others received in marginal electorates. From either party.

12. significance

significance Well-Known Member

But this is not a solution if politicians are willing to overturn the decisions made according to transparent, defined criteria and reallocate funding according to political criteria -- which is exactly what happened in this case. The solution here is to hold politicians accountable.

geoffw likes this.
  13. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Don't care which side does it. We need a strong federal ICAC.

significance, Bunbury and geoffw like this.
  14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Sadly the current government voted down - twice - to engage an independent body to oversee/investigate these sorts of instances. That means both/all sides will be free to jag the system willy nilly without accountability

significance and geoffw like this.
  15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

exactly right, or minimise it

I posted a link way back which covers pollies and rorts from 1900, seems Labor government has outnumbered everyone in this regard
    ...... :eek::D

Last edited: 31st Mar, 2020
    Serveman likes this.
  16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Title of the thread is pork barreling... year, or who is in Government is irrelevant.

Serveman likes this.
  17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I love this

but if I posted this it would have been deleted by now....:(

Serveman and twobobsworth like this.
  18. geoffw

The initial post, and intent of the thread, was about the pork barrelling which had occurred last year. It's explicitly about the current government.

I'm not saying that no other government does this. Parties of all persuasions do this. It's also wrong when they do it as well.

Saying that somebody else did the same (wrong) thing does not make either of those things right. And to say so is just an attempt to deflect away from the issue at hand, to try to make it sound as if the most recent transgression is actually ok.

I was complaining about it being off topic when the subject came to whether I had made a post about what had happened in 2014, which doesn't have any bearing at all on the topic. If you wish to make a post on whether or not GeoffW is a hypocrite, start a thread about it. Don't make it a topic in a thread about pork barrelling.

Lizzie likes this.
  19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

With due respect... the topic/title of this thread is pork barreling.

Much dialogue on this thread is about government’s pork barreling on both sides, its all relevant

If you now think its off topic you probably need to delete most of the threads on here starting from post 3. Not much point to this

20. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Regardless of the title - the original post was about the rorting in 2019. What "other" governments - or other members - have done in the past has no bearing on this thread which was 100% about the "sports rorts" and other current government pork barrelling.

That other governments have done the wrong thing in the past is just a stronger reason for there to be a federal government ICAC - which was rejected twice by the current government.

The only discussion on this thread about "both sides" is because there are a few people that insist on deflecting, blaming, accusing and otherwise attempting to take the thread off track.

Last edited by a moderator: 31st Mar, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.