Roofing Cost

Discussion in 'Development' started by albanga, 21st Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Hello Developers and those that have built,

I have a question regarding the cost of roofing.

I am finalising my upcoming build contract and have just been advised the cost of my roofing may be additional. My builders default roof is colourbond which from all my research costs more than a concrete roof.

This came to light as I asked if I would receive a credit for a cheaper option. When I questioned this the builder replied with the following:
    "Concrete Tiles can incur a price increase due to the tile selection and the engineering involved, ie the heavier load of tiled roofing compared to colorbond means more support is needed through the roofing structure, including roof battens. There are also different categories of tiled roof, ie flat roof tiles will be more expensive than traditional roof tiles.

Now the part about tile selection makes sense and I get that but the engineering? Surely on every site I read which says colourbond is more expensive takes that into account? OR because I am building a double story though on a sloped block on brick piers it could be why they suggested this?

Thanks in advance

2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Concrete tiles is heavier so it does require more support. With my builder colorbond cost more tho, just because.
    Why do you choose tiles?

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Colorbond costs more? That's screwed up :p

4. albanga

Is that sarcasm or is it genuinely screwed up?:)

I really am keen to know more as I do plan on going back to my builder with some ammunition :)

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@albanga - All metal roofing systems use screws (kliplok uses concealed fixings/corrugated iron uses face-fixed screws). The screws go down, not up ;)

Roof trusses for tiled roofs are closer together (450 centres) to take the additional loading whereas metal deck roofing is lighter and further apart (600 mm or 900 mm apart).

Have a chat to a QS to get an indication of the cost differences between a metal deck and tiled roof. - @Depreciator

thydzik likes this.
  6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Someone might be getting screwed? Sounds like a wrought!

Scott No Mates likes this.
  7. albanga

Im still not sure I understand.
    Just give me a non riddle answer please lads! haha

8. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

non riddle answer is that in a hot environment like australia concrete roofs are a silly idea.

9. JKWS

JKWS Well-Known Member

I'm a builder and developer and have used both. Concrete tiles should be cheaper marginally- the builder has a preference here in my opinion/ or doesn't do much tile roofing so may not get great rates compared to his metal roofers.

Or depending on your arrangement, he may really want to avoid getting your plans changed- because if you have gone down the design road and the whole frame structure has been made to suit metal roofing- it will be more expensive and waste of time changing everything again structurally to suit tiles.

Another thing to watch, he may want to do the roofing himself to save costs and make more $$- so he's made metal roofing a default- so if needed can cover his ass and pull more money out of the roofing Install rather than contract that work out. Ask if he does his own roofing?

albanga likes this.
  10. albanga

@sanj you clearly don't live in Melbourne. Many more cold days than hot. Think I would have gone mad today with a metal roof as it has not stopped raining since 9am.

I chose tiles because I prefer the look (flat tiles) and didn't think there was additional cost. My engineering is being redone as my plans changed a fair bit since I first had it engineered a couple of years ago (it was originally a development, I have subdivided and sold the existing dwelling now building on the vacant land).

So I may still be in a position to change the roofing. If my builder comes back and says it's a fair bit more cost for the tile I want then I may need to consider changing back. I'm going to check with council tomorrow if this requires an amendment.

11. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

melbourne still has hot days and a tiled roof gets much hotter and retains heat much longer too.

as for the rain, with anticon (or a similar product) which realistically most people should be using on new builds, the issue is negated.

tiled roofs are usually a silly idea imo. dark tiled roofs even sillier.

if your builder is charging more for tiles spend the money on a decent spec anticon and sit back with a smug look on your face at the end and wonder why the idiot next door spent the same amount of money you did and got a house that is prone to greater temperature fluctuations.

12. Skilled_Migrant

Skilled_Migrant Well-Known Member

Apples for apples color bond will be a bit expensive. But it is an apple to orange comparison as the overall cost for the two choices depends on a lot of other factor.

The difference in roof price will not be that much as its a two storey house so, the foot print (roof area) is less. I had both quoted and the quotes were:
    • Color bond 7000 including certification and installation by the roof plumber (using safety harness). No scaffolding
    • Tile 5000 + 5000 for scaffolding
    Tiles are significantly (almost by a factor of 10) heavier than color bond ( Is Colorbond Roofing Better Than Concrete Tiles? It Depends On Your Taste, Lifestyle and Budget.). In addition being a continuous and stronger (compared to tiles) material it provides additional bracing to the rafters.

It might be late to switch from colorbond to tiles as the extra load of tiles has to be transferred to the foundation which will usually involve the following:
    • Closer rafters, wider (140/190X45 vs 90X45) or stronger (F7 vs F14/17) rafters and collar ties. I am assuming that since its a custom build, you are not using prefabricated trusses, but pitching the roof on site. Even if prefabricated, the timber used will be wider or spacing lesser. Truss manufacturer will have to reissue the certificate and calculations.
    • The beams supporting the first floor walls (bearing the roof load) might need to be replaced by wider beams or steel beams.
    Engineering amendments will chew more time and cash:
    • You might need to change the original plans as well if the material is specified on the town planning drawings. Engineer will not change the engineering drawings unless the TP drawings show the changed material.
    • Engineer will have to redo the load calculations for heavier loads.
    • Surveyor will have to sign off on these calculations.
    In the end it will come down to a personal choice as well as the costs involved. It would have been easier if you were switching from tiles to colorbond.

Good luck and do keep the updates/photos coming.