Roofer charges me $1200 for roof and gutter cleaning

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Property123, 8th Jul, 2023.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Property123

Property123 Well-Known Member

I am seeking advice on dealing with an unreasonable roof repair invoice.

My PM arranged for a roof contractor to repair the roof of my IP since it was leaking in the living room. The roofer emailed the PM and said that the roof was cleaned and 40 tiles were replaced and the cost was $1500 so far and suggested doing roof capping pointing for an additional $1350. The tenant told me that two roofers only spent 15 mins there to clean up the roof and the leak was stopped. I called the roofer and said that the tiles have not been replaced yet. He said that he has organized the tiles and will go back soon. I told him that I would like to think about it whether go ahead with the work. He became upset and said that every correspondence should go through the agent. I arranged for another roofer that I know of to have a look and he said that the roof is still full of leaves and the previous roofer just did part of the roof cleaning. He also offered me a much more competitive price for replacing 20 broken tiles (not 40 as the first roofer mentioned).

The property manager sent me the first roofer's invoice - $1200. The justification was that he spent more than 6 hours on the roof to clean the roof and fix the leak. He could not provide photos of the work he did. However, I managed to get some photos of the roof after his work and sent them to the property manager. These photos show the roof and gutters still have a lot of accumulated leaves.

I also received a basic roof report from the roofer, half-page of words describing the scope of fixing the roo,f and two pages of photos. I offered $500 to settle the matter but it was rejected. He threatened using debt collection service.

How much should I pay him and what is the best way to resolve the issue?

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Why didn't you arrange the roofer you know in the first place?
    Was a quote provided by the pm to you that you approved?

The Y-man

3. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Well-Known Member

What a scam, time to consider a new PM, sounds like you’re doing most of the work yourself

4. Property123

My preferred roofer was not available at that time so I let the PM to arrange a roofer they use regularly. I did not receive a quote.

5. Property123

The PM originally suggested me to pay the bill since the roofer did fix the leak. However, I did not want to be soft and encourage the roofer's behavior. Surprisingly, this roofer got so many good reviews on High Pages. I could not find him on google maps.

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Is the first roofer charging you $1200 for the 15 minutes spent cleaning the roof? How did they stop the leak in that 15 minutes?

And is he looking for another $1500 to replace the tiles? I'm a bit confused.

Either way it sounds like a rip off. Has the PM told this roofer that your tenants said they were in and out in 15 minutes? Perhaps his workers have not told him what they actually did.

7. Property123

Sorry for the confusion. The roofer initially claimed that he already cleaned up the roof (total of 180L of leaves) and replaced 40 tiles, and told the PM the cost was $1500. That was in writing from the roofer. However, the tenant told me that they did not replace the tiles hence I contacted the roofer to verify. He admitted on the phone that he cleaned up the roof to stop the leak but will go back to replace the tiles. As I thought the price was a little bit high hence asked him to put it on hold. He sent the PM a bill of $1200 for what he did and requested for payment. To resolve the dispute, I asked him to go back to replace the tiles and agreed to pay him the full amount $1500, but he refused to do the rest of the work and demanded $1200. In reality, the roof was not cleaned properly, which I have photo evidence of.

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I would not be paying the bill for work he has not completed. So, at this stage you've offered to accept his quote and will pay him once he finishes the job?

Has he indicated why he is not prepared to go back to finish before you pay for work not yet done?

9. Property123

The PM said the roofer is upset that I did not authorize the $1200 payment and asked too many questions, therefore does not want to finish the remaining work. To be honest, I prefer paying him what he already did at a fair price and using another roofer to finish the work at a cheaper rate. Do you think $300 is a fair price for the half-finished roof cleaning work? I am thinking of paying him $300 and then dealing with him if he takes further action to try to obtain the full $1200.

10. RENI99

RENI99 Well-Known Member

You need to train your PM and make sure they are clear on your expectations. They should be dealing with this.

No work approved unless quoted upfront (unless falls under emergency) ideally with photos to show the issues so there is evidence of the problem. Sometimes this might require some co-ordination to get the approval done at the time the tradesperson is there so you are not paying for an inspection as well as the fix. This can be easily achieved via text messaging and understanding of the day/time they are expected to be onsite.

All work to be paid requires before and after photos.

If its a bit job then you would be asking for 2 quotes minimum. The property managers are busy people and often will just become mailboxes unless you make your expectations clear.

Otherwise you are asking to be duped as you are not there. We know there is often a premium we pay as landlords unfortunately but you dont expect to be taken advantage of.

There are times that I have to talk to the tradesperson to get clarity on larger jobs as well - this I have not had problems with as the trades that our PMs use are professional and I know I pay a bit more for this as well.

JohnnyG likes this.
  11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I’m confused by the ‘clean the roof’ language. Does that just mean ‘clean the gutters’? If so, it sounds like just a section was cleared - enough to stop the water backing up and coming into the house. Is that correct?

I can’t see how cleaning the roof would help with a leak! Also, are you sure the 40 tiles really need replacing. Are they broken?

12. Property123

Thanks for the advice. I do need to give the PM clearer expectations and manage the entire maintenance process better. In some instances, I did not bother to ask the PM and arranged the repairs directly with the tradies I used previously. I guess I have more trust in these tradies to who I gave work regularly. My properties were managed by the Director previously but now they managed by a young guy with less than two years of experience. He communicates well but I do find that he does not have enough life experience to handle more complex issues.

13. Property123

The main cause of the leak was that one of the roof gullies and gutters were blocked. You are probably right that the tiles do not need to be replaced.

14. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

You allowed the PM to contract the roofer, as your agent. You need to ensure your PM and you discuss and agree on how this works for future repairs as your understanding and their seems at odds. You are bound by their instructions to the roofer. There should be a dollar value guide to approval so you are given opportuniuty to address cost and the extent of the defect/s for anything over $XXX. The principal / licensee remains in charge not the young guy.

I question if the invoice included work not yet completed (eg tiles to be replaced when they come in.). I wouldnt be paying until the work is completed. But now the tradie wont accept that as he thinks you wont pay.

How I read it is the tiles DO need to be replaced...maybe not 40. If it was 10 thats still a lot. Broken, cracked, etc ? This is maintennace to limit future leaks.

15. Property123

Thanks for the advice, Paul. I did give the PM approval limit of $300 but for some reason the roofer decided to go ahead to do the work. someone I know had a look at the roof this week and took a lot of photos. It appears that no tiles need to be replaced. Obviously the roofer lied about the condition of the roof.

16. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Stop this right now.
    Don't proceed any further and sort it out with the agent.

wylie likes this.
  17. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I paid a guy whose just started own business $80 to clean my roof and gutters and check over roof and downpipes. It took him an hour, he worked quickly and got 3 medium garbage bags of leaves. I wouldn’t be paying either it sounds so dodgy. Last time I had any roof repairs in two different states I got given lots of before and after photos.

wylie likes this.